Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Are our Monte races put on for fun and laughter?

Banned Yearling Wayneo will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Thompson
    Come on. Are you serious. We are talking about monte races not trotting races. What will you come up with next. That she rides bmx bikes really good as well. I cant believe I clicked on that and it wasn't even a monte race.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year broncobrad has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Brad Leach
    Wayneo, you are obviously very passionate about this subject to go to such lengths (admirably I might add) to prove a point. My point of view, for what it is worth. A bunch of drunks is hardly a great yardstick to measure the ability of a 60kg woman sitting astride a 500kg animal on a faulty piece of equipment which is hanging by a proverbial tampon string, possibly because the animal was holding its breath when the girth strap was tightened and the saddle buckled up. I am not going to even attempt to try to change YOUR view on an incident that most participants in harness racing hold their breath over as it unfolds. Most industry participants know and accept the inherent risks of the sport...and most who care to enlighten you here would be well past trying to highlight the dangers associated with it.

You have questioned the horsemanship of Maree...are you serious? Just try to put yourself in her situation and ask yourself what you would do. What would YOU do? Why not ask the other uninformed bar flies what they would do with their intimate knowledge of trotting? Ask yourself how many of those same bar flies have actually made an investment in the race (tipping it will not be a high number), but hey they got some cheap thrills for nothing at the expense of a woman in dire trouble.

Mate you are comparing Ferraris to Four Wheel Drives in the galloper/trotting department...have you ever sat on thoroughbred at full gallop...it is like riding on a thread of silk...those trotters are more like Suzuki Sierras driving up the Great Dividing Range! You really should try it for yourself, don't bother listening to me. Riding with long irons is the only way to sit on them...and I really cannot think of one jock in the last 30 40 or 50 years that ever rode with irons that long at the races that you have claimed. Always more than happy to be enlightened though.

I asked you about Gina's unfortunate start and you have over analysed it to Enthhh degree, but missed my point entirely...but I like your approach to the situation, she was holding on too tight on the reins and apparently getting tighter the further back she went. What are you suggesting Wayneo, that she relaxes her grip on the horse and has even less control over a runaway train, further endangering herself and any other horse/rider behind her????? Any rider worth their salt would have kept trying to gather up the horse. Please!

Wayneo, I had a different opinion on the Gold Ace start that got him into the Hunter Cup. It completely opposed others who thought the horse had gained an unfair advantage. I wasn't going to see it their way and they were not going to see it mine. The best thing for me to do was SHUT UP.

Here endeth the lesson...and long live Monte racing in Oz...I hope this form of racing keeps gathering support from all sections of the industry.

Post script.....if you spell straight strate once more, I swear....

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    PalaisDuLouvre,Trip 7s, AnythingForLove
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayneo View Post
    what race at echucha fri night. I cant find any Echuca on Friday night or last fri night

Say 'Excuse me' 99 times on way to toilet? Sure you will find it eventually... Dopey (sorry TC!!)

Senior Member 4YO Lucky Camilla"s Lovechild will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Leigh Stollery
    Why does it feel like we're feeding a troll?

Senior Member 4YO brent_L will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Brent Lambert
    Absolutely lmfao!!

Real Name
    Brad Leach
    If TeeCee has barred him, I am gonna be bloody pissed LMAO

Senior Member 4YO Lucky Camilla"s Lovechild will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Leigh Stollery
    I have a sneaking suspicion Wayne may be more involved in harness racing than he is letting on. Notice the way the thread says 'our' monte races. Freudian slip up?

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Greg Hando will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hando
    I absolutely hate the Monte race's they do nothing to make our sport better. A kid going for their license has to drive in 20 Trials in NSW to the satisfaction of the steward and signed off on, why don't the rider's in the Monte event's have to do the same ? After all it is a different form of racing and so far removed from sitting in a gig that it isn't funny. Some people can ride but they can't really ride if you know what i mean. We raced liked this back at the start of our great industry and that is where it should be left IMO.
    Have whoever you want on but don't ever have yourself on

Real Name
    Brad Leach
    You have got plenty of mates on this one Greg...reckon on the whole, there is more negative reaction for this mode of racing than positive...but for mine, I enjoy it...as time goes on we are starting to see certain horses and riders who thrive under these conditions. These events should be complementing the product, not being programmed as an oddity. Perhaps programming in the future will have an effect...but in the end it will come down to the $$$$ invested and if they are not being supported by the punter, then I am sure the survival of these events on a regular basis may well be terminal

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year teecee has a spectacular aura about teecee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tony Cahill
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hando View Post
    I absolutely hate the Monte race's they do nothing to make our sport better. A kid going for their license has to drive in 20 Trials in NSW to the satisfaction of the steward and signed off on, why don't the rider's in the Monte event's have to do the same ? After all it is a different form of racing and so far removed from sitting in a gig that it isn't funny. Some people can ride but they can't really ride if you know what i mean. We raced liked this back at the start of our great industry and that is where it should be left IMO.

http://www.harness.org.au/news-artic...?news_id=19184

+ Reply to Thread