Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Where is Harness Racing Headed?

Senior Member 2YO Pena will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Jack Peters

Where is Harness Racing Headed?

I notice a trainer has been stood down pending an enquiry.
    http://www.harness.org.au/news-artic...?news_id=23135
    If you watch the races you can see why but I am sure Justin will put up a spirited defence. My biggest issue is if you are running TAB races that have fixed odds on them and people can get on Betfair and lay the horse and the race is only worth $2000 ($1085 to the winner) what do you expect. If a horse wins a TAB race and the owner does not even receive enough to pay one months training fees then the system is bound to be rorted. I think the industry has a whole needs to reassess. I personally think the difference between big races, Metropolitan races and the C and R races is too far. If the interdom was worth $400k I do not think it would make a difference to the coverage but the money would be better distributed through the whole industry. Add this to the fact that there are just to many races. Prizemoney at grass roots levels need to increase or the likelyhood of incidents occurring as above will definitely be reduced. Don't think I am staying stopped as someone will always be looking to rort the system but at the current standard it is a disgrace.

Member Gelding doncht will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Don Chet
    and lay the horse and the race is only worth $2000 ($1085 to the winner) what do you expect.
    I think they could have done something better than this though.

aussiebreno
    Prizemoney level no excuse. Say I have runner $100,000 gp 1. First horse gets $60000. I could lay my horse for $30k. Guaranteed profit $30k win lose or draw. Without knowing facts of this case, 99% of other participants managed to follow the rules at $2000 restricted meetings.

Real Name
    Jack Peters
    Obviously from your comments you really mean lose, lose or lose.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Pena View Post
    Obviously from your comments you really mean lose, lose or lose.
    No doubt he does Jack. He also makes a good point about how a bigger staked race could be rorted but I believe that would be more likely a temptation to a trainer or a driver - an owner (esp of a mare or horse) is likely to want the Gp 1 win for 60k or at least 25k for 2nd
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Good to see the stewards are keeping a close eye out for this type of activity, I remember a few years ago I was in a low prizemoney race at Wyong in January 1999 with a horse called Travellers Chek and we were subjected to VERY heavy team driving, to the point we got beat with no doubt the best horse in the field, but the shysters didn't get the money either, when, ( as we were pulling up) I laughed at the guy who was driving the horse that was given the task of making sure we had little chance that his mate didn't get the bickies either, he spat the dummy out and called me a "F___en Diego". I still think that is hilarious...very Italian name Gibson.Ha Ha.
    The stipes didn't get him that day, but gee I hope they catch up with him!!!!

Real Name
    Jack Peters
    Brenno, your reference was to laying the horse so the term win, lose or draw would not apply.
    I have to disagree though that it is far less likely to occur in a Group race or a race that cover good prizemoney. I don't disagree that it can still hapen but is far less likely if there a a good paycheck at risk and no risk of disqualification etc. I douby Chris Gleeson would have done what he did if it was the Miracle Mile.

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Pena View Post
    Brenno, your reference was to laying the horse so the term win, lose or draw would not apply.
    I have to disagree though that it is far less likely to occur in a Group race or a race that cover good prizemoney. I don't disagree that it can still hapen but is far less likely if there a a good paycheck at risk and no risk of disqualification etc. I douby Chris Gleeson would have done what he did if it was the Miracle Mile.
    Your horse wins the race, you win $60K prizemoney less $30K laying.
    Your horse draws the race, you win $30K prizemoney less $15K laying
    Your horse loses race, you get no prizemoney but win $30K laying.

Calculations and figures may be wrong, but point is you can still win money win lose or draw.

Didn't say this situation was likely to play out, just that because there more money involved here, it would seem low prizemoney shouldn't be used as an excuse for criminals.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    The best return in the above scenario would be coming second Breno LOL. $20k+ prizemoney and $30k laying is nearly as good as winning
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread