Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why the QDT in the Geelong Cup?

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago

Question Why the QDT in the Geelong Cup?

I know with 2 from the one stable with one in the Death and the other having the 1x1, with the fav (Trigger) leading sounds like the recipe for team driving but there was no pressure put on Trigger, so why did Alex Ashwood get a QDT for his drive on Magical Telf?
    http://media.harness.org.au/vic/GEC29031401.wmv
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member 4YO p plater will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    bailey martin
    I guess the main reason would be that Magical Telf usually races best with cover and as you say no pressure applied to Smoken Up, but still finished 28.6m last. The owners of Magical Telf are also owners of the winner, so to give their main hope a nice suck along at a reasonable pace would be good tactics. Proving it with a junior on board is another matter.

aussiebreno
    Where else was he supposed to go? Pull three wide and restrain to last? Those inside him went to the pegs, those outside him went back. It isn't Chillis go the death, it isn't Smudges go and Savesometimetodream is hardly going to come across from 7 to sit outside Trigger. What a ridiculous QDT.
    I thought maybe Lance went to slow, but who knows Chilli probably too good this stage of their careers.

Senior Member 4YO Smoken will become famous soon enough Smoken's Avatar
    Real Name
    Evangelos Paps
    Well done to the speedy CP! I also think Lance went to slow. Not saying the Champ would have won otherwise, only pointing out my opinion. If CP sat outside Trigger, most likely he would have finished as far back as MT, so he really needed to have his stable mate to be outside of Trigger. It's a hard one to try prove, as I can see both sides, even though my common sense tells me that MT's job last night was to give CP as much of a perfect tow in as he could have gotten, regardless where MT ended up finishing, which was nearly 29m last....

Senior Member 4YO p plater will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    bailey martin
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
    Where else was he supposed to go? Pull three wide and restrain to last? Those inside him went to the pegs, those outside him went back. It isn't Chillis go the death, it isn't Smudges go and Savesometimetodream is hardly going to come across from 7 to sit outside Trigger. What a ridiculous QDT.
    I thought maybe Lance went to slow, but who knows Chilli probably too good this stage of their careers.
    You're probably right but with so much class difference why not Chilli race in the death?

Real Name
    Evangelos Paps
    They obviously want to preserve CP a lot more compared to MT, & since the owners own both MT & CP, they chose to have the inferior horse do the hard work to benefit of the superior horse...
    Geeez, sounding like survival of the fittest/elitist conspiracies lol
    CP is superior to MT ATM, but he needs a race to suit or he's toast! He can't do the work, but then why should MT had to when he is inferior? Can't see any other reason apart from the obvious ones!

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoken View Post
    They obviously want to preserve CP a lot more compared to MT, & since the owners own both MT & CP, they chose to have the inferior horse do the hard work to benefit of the superior horse...
    Geeez, sounding like survival of the fittest/elitist conspiracies lol
    CP is superior to MT ATM, but he needs a race to suit or he's toast! He can't do the work, but then why should MT had to when he is inferior? Can't see any other reason apart from the obvious ones!
    So how should Magicsl Telf have been driven?

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    PalaisDuLouvre,Trip 7s, AnythingForLove
    I'm with brenno. He could have gone back to last but they weren't going breakneck speed. Got to the death without doing much work. Put him in the race and see what he can do. Else be out the back and they race along in single file and he probably finish out the back anyway. Was hanging bad last lap too.

Dunno Lance went too slow. Tight turns on that track. As brave as ever though.

Chilli showed amazing turn of foot when let down. Can run!!

Real Name
    Evangelos Paps
    I can't say for certain how else he could have been driven, but I do know that he gave his stable mate the perfect run into the final bend and that MT finish nearly 29m last.. Would he have finished 29m last if he opted for a peg/cover run?
    I'm sure they knew that MT parking outside Trigger was not his go, regardless if they were going slow.
    Like Bailey said, why couldn't Chilly go to the breeze since he is so superior to MT? Either he would have had the same fate as MT, or he could have finished closer than 28.6m last..

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Maorisidol has a spectacular aura about Maorisidol's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ash Singh
    He had the opportunity to sit 4 pegs, not a great spot of course but when your other choice is the death seat, and you're driving a sit sprint horse over 2570 following 3 horses who will definitely take you forward as opposed to stop in your face, i would've taken the pegs and run 4th most probably...as opposed to suicide and no chance of prize money for the owners. Its a drivers job to give his/her horse the best possible chance regardless of any other horse in the race who coincidently may be owned by same people.
    At the start MT's driver turns his head 3 times watching the horse directly behind him, who happens to be Chili, as if he is ensuring the line for the tug boat to is attached, the line is confirmed to be on so let the tow into the race begin...Was watching live as this was unfolding and thought it not the right decision for MT to death seat so a bit obvious for me.
    And because he is obviously not a death horse why sit so far forward? normally someone who didn't want to be there would hang back a length or 2 giving other drivers the notion the chair is available...
    Lets ask this, if Chili wasn't in the race would MT have sat in the death, and as far forward as he did??????? Certainly he put no pressure on Lance but a sit sprinter just doesn't go there or more to the point over 2570 want to stay there.
    hence, QDT.
    Last edited by Maorisidol; 03-30-2014 at 02:18 PM. Reason: added, lets ask this,

+ Reply to Thread