+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Consolation races

Senior Member Horse Of The Year mightymo will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Harvey Kaplan
    Horses
    Bling It On, Nike Franco, Cruz Bromac
    I can easily fix the problem. Take 30K off from the cosolation. Make 5th place in the final worth 16K and make 6-10th worth 11K. You then run a 20K consolation where the winner gets 10K.

Problem solved!

Senior Member 4YO eliteblood has a spectacular aura about eliteblood's Avatar
    Real Name
    Trevor Swan
    Horses
    Sabilize, Sushi Sushi, Golden Goddess,
    Both Priority Pass and Sunshine Hanigan were in the heats scheduled to be run at Menangle on April 5.
    When the meeting was transferred to Newcastle due to the state of the track, Sunshine Hanigan scratched. I note that Priority Pass was a late scratching.
    Maybe this explains their inclusion in the consolation.

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    I agree Harvey that a consolation plate at wimbleton would be nonsense, but we are not talking about a tennis tournament so that argument is completely irrelevant.

Elitism and common sense rarely go hand in hand as well.

Anne if the rules have been contravened then your argument would be valid, but apparently the rules have not been so in effect your point is also completely irrelevant.Oh and by the way the AFL analogy doesnt hold water similarly to the wimbelton one offerd by Harvey.

I wonder what your views would be if your one and only pride and joy missed a spot in the final?, but they didn't did they?

Senior Member 2YO Bonnie will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Anne Anderson
    Occupation
    Horse Breeder /Owner
    Horses
    Ladies In Red, Hurricane Harley, Honolua
    Whilst I acknowledge your explanation regarding Newcastle there was a spot available in the semi finals. That is , there was only 9 in one semi final. APG endeavoured to fill that place, why didn't either of these horses accept. If we can assume that they were not eligible for the semi final , what entitles them to a run in the consolation( $50,000) as opposed to the semi worth $30,000. Does a Group 2 with more prize money and lesser ranked horses have more appeal. If travel is an issue it didn't deter us travelling Queen Of Pop from Warragul for 11 hours.
    Last edited by Bonnie; 04-24-2014 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Spelling

Senior Member 2YO Bonnie will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Anne Anderson
    Occupation
    Horse Breeder /Owner
    Horses
    Ladies In Red, Hurricane Harley, Honolua
    Danno,I have previously been in the position where my pride and joy missed a spot in the APG Final. Guess what ; I picked myself up and got on with life. With over 40 years of breeding horses and a family history of horse ownership I have had my share of disappointments. It's a roller coaster ride and I enjoy and appreciate every win . When the going gets tough the tough get going.

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Brendan,
    I think if we are going to base our arguements on "this horse and these circumstances" we will forever be running in circles, the issue as I see it is do we have a consolation? how much is it worth? and who is eliglible?
    I have never in my forty years as a licenced person ( got my permit on my sixteenth birthday Feb 1974) seen one solitary instance of a consolation having less prizmoney for the winner than the unplaced runners in the final, mate that sort of mentality is breaking new ground.

Spare a thought for the not quite so lucky, they have contributed just as much as the fortunate.

Cheers,
    Dan
    I agree re this horses and these circumstances which is why I didn't mention any bad luck stories in opening post. It was only in response to you suggesting a horse may have received bad luck in semis.
    Most consolations are still C races. Not G1 and G2 like the ones I mentioned. Bit hard for a $7000 C0 final or the like to have a consolation with much smaller prize money so that's not what I am suggesting, just these big money races. These big money consolation races weren't around when I was 16 (5 yrs ago) let alone when you were. Inter consolation a G2 and worth a smaller amount in comparison to the final and no APG consolation at all.

Further to Wimbledon and AFL I will note swimming and athletics who run the heat semi final format. But I'm not going as far as to suggest no consolation at all just a fairer system of payouts. Remember finishing 4th isn't necessary elite and can just as easily be a battler. A consolation is a small compensation for a loss, not a juicier reward than one who qualified for the final.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year arlington will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    I agree with the point raised by the original poster in regards to the juvenile race but not sure about the I D comparison.

A $50,000 consolation is a nice inducement to get as many horses as possible to participate in the series, and come back/stay for a consolation, but irrespective of prize money level they should have to compete throughout the entire series. Possibly a waiver if there was a drastic change to the original conditions e.g. transferred from Menangle to a 1/2 mile track. ($50000 consolation is a nice inducement to pay up on the fall of the hammer sale day, and bid up in the first place)
    Post #11, Harvey's distribution of stakes. Something along those lines but need to consider would interstate and NZ horses come back/stay?

A conditioned, juvenile futurity consolation with Group 2 status? In the case of the fillies you have to wonder when it comes time for those entering the breeding barn.
    Competed in APG Final (maybe 2nd in Edgar Tatlow etc. being open to all comers) versus Winner Group 2. Hardly seems right.

The Inter Dom series, in it's current format, has a pseudo consolation so I guess not a definitive consolation. Maybe another way of looking at it, would not the connections of the winner of the Bohemia Crystal preferred to have been in the I D Final irrespective of prize money? Similarly I wouldn't think the connections of the unplaced ID finalists would be envious of Abettorpunt, certainly not prior to the running of the races? For me, it would be as much about the achievement, striving to reach an I D final. I guess it's a bit like the mare, Ladyship or I D...Franco Nelson, which way would he have gone if there was an early scratching from a great barrier draw?

Member Yearling cyclone george will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    greg fusinato
    A better idea would be to add 20 grand or so for 3 year olds for the 3 year old filly. Make all the fillys that made the 2 year old final ineligeable. So next year on Sunday you could have had these horses that made the consolation (dont run the consalation) this year another chance with all the others that weren't up to it at this stage (like half the ones in the consolation this Sunday) with qualification like the jewels highest money earners,or most wins etc . Spred the money around a bit ,with this idea the dominant filly/colt doesn't win all the gold money . Dominant horses have got plenty of scope to win plenty of money and they can't race in everything.

aussiebreno
    Two words: Supersonic Miss.

+ Reply to Thread