Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: COT Smoken Up?

Senior Member 4YO brent_L will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Brent Lambert

COT Smoken Up?

Hands up who had Smoken Up trailing the 40/1 leader on Friday night?? In 145 starts I think I might recall Lance sticking to the pegs once, maybe twice on the champ.
    As a regular punter (not on this race however) on the trots I find it unbelievably insulting that Lance fails to notify the stewards (and punters) of even the possibility he may be opting for cover. Does he feel he is above and beyond?? IMO Just as insulting is stewards offering up a QDT!

Senior Member 4YO p plater will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    bailey martin
    Brent, maybe another look at the start might be in order. M. Bellman (Our Mels Dream) started well then grabbed hold, had Lance tried to get on his back at the start Smoken Up would have crashed into him. As it happens M Bellman made sure Lance stayed on the fence. Watch it again.

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Have to agree with Bailey on this one Brent, Bellman had him in a zip fastener and Gavvy made sure he stayed there. Good run by the old warrior but he just couldn't hoof it with Five Star Anvil in the 200m sprint.

Real Name
    Brent Lambert
    Just had another look and was ready to eat humble pie. No can do. There was every opportunity to come straight away from the pegs after the start and lob in 5th spot. If it wasn't his plan to stay on the pegs then I could only describe it as a brain fade.

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Yes agree, There was an opportunity to ease back and come off the fence and get behind Bellman's horse and in hindsight, Would have been a far better option and then roll around to the death or take the lead. Not the greatest drive I have ever seen and as you mentioned Brent, Highly unusual for Trigger to be driven this way.

Senior Member 4YO Smoken will become famous soon enough Smoken's Avatar
    Real Name
    Evangelos Paps
    Lance definitely could have gotten of the fence.
    The Champ ran a great race, but probably could have gone one better with every opportunity given.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Maorisidol has a spectacular aura about Maorisidol's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ash Singh
    I'm not convinced todays Trigger could start from inside the back row, go 3 wide around that field and win.
    Firstly if he did, the race may very well have been run quicker which would have suited Chili better than this race did, rather than him having to be 3 wide the last 400m around the bend and try to run down the front markers doing a 26.5.
    Personally i think Lance took the gamble to be right up the front doing no work just sitting quiet for a change and see what happens rather than go back, come around, sit in the death or maybe get the lead and probably get run down, having used so much gas...
    At this point of his career i have no qualms with that drive. but like i said on Friday on here before the race, i gave him no chance of winning from that draw, but also say that in any future races, i also hope he proves me wrong!
    And by the way, credit due to the winner and the clever drive by the Iceman!

Senior Member 4YO Smoken will become famous soon enough Smoken's Avatar
    Real Name
    Evangelos Paps
    I love the fact that Trigger was given a much easier run, and I also didn't expect him to win given the barrier. I don't remember the last time he was behind a leader..
    I also keep forgetting that he is 11 & still racing like a beast! Not even CP could have ran down FSA, with the quarters they ran.

Real Name
    Brent Lambert
    Quote Originally Posted by Maorisidol View Post
    I'm not convinced todays Trigger could start from inside the back row, go 3 wide around that field and win.
    Firstly if he did, the race may very well have been run quicker which would have suited Chili better than this race did, rather than him having to be 3 wide the last 400m around the bend and try to run down the front markers doing a 26.5.
    Personally i think Lance took the gamble to be right up the front doing no work just sitting quiet for a change and see what happens rather than go back, come around, sit in the death or maybe get the lead and probably get run down, having used so much gas...
    At this point of his career i have no qualms with that drive. but like i said on Friday on here before the race, i gave him no chance of winning from that draw, but also say that in any future races, i also hope he proves me wrong!
    And by the way, credit due to the winner and the clever drive by the Iceman!
    That surely calls for notifying of a COT then Ash??

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Maorisidol has a spectacular aura about Maorisidol's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ash Singh
    Quote Originally Posted by brent_L View Post
    That surely calls for notifying of a COT then Ash??
    Theoretically yes, but when you don't know 100% that the pole horse will keep the lead, you still have options to get out of there.
    Hence i think COT or any Tactics to be declared are bollocks.
    You may have a game plan to take a sit as Trigger had the opportunity did, or if that doesn't work out, you need plan B. Or vice versa.

+ Reply to Thread