Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: How do we make Harness Racing strong via today's sports betting market

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    Quote Originally Posted by amlin View Post
    i suggested at a forum last year that potentially we could grab sky2 as well as sky1 for a friday night for a more detailed coverage with interviews, parade ring footage etc, but it was felt the cost of an extra cameraman per week would be prohibitive.

What about a fixed camera overlooking the parade ring? A more in depth coverage like what used to be presented on ch31 surely could only increase turnover, and pay for that cameraman!!
    vvv-amen!

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    I will say it again.....the answer is NOT changing how we race, it is about exposure to a wider audience, get more people involved, as Phil outlined in his earlier post, we are targeting our game to an ever shrinking market of participants, participants are the lifeblood of this game, everthing else follows, it has been the case from day one when trotting went from racing your carthorse to town and back to formalised racing on set circuits, the game has thrived or otherwise on participation levels...turnover, prizemoney,foal numbers,yearling prices, etc,etc will all grow when participation grows.....participant growth will not occur, until exposure levels improve.

cheers,
    Dan

Senior Member 4YO Lucky Camilla"s Lovechild will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Leigh Stollery
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I will say it again.....the answer is NOT changing how we race, it is about exposure to a wider audience, get more people involved, as Phil outlined in his earlier post, we are targeting our game to an ever shrinking market of participants, participants are the lifeblood of this game, everthing else follows, it has been the case from day one when trotting went from racing your carthorse to town and back to formalised racing on set circuits, the game has thrived or otherwise on participation levels...turnover, prizemoney,foal numbers,yearling prices, etc,etc will all grow when participation grows.....participant growth will not occur, until exposure levels improve.

cheers,
    Dan
    Danno, no one is changing the way we race. But as you say we need more exposure. Currently what we are doing is obviously not working. Simple as that! I say lets use that small window of opportunity to show the wider public a smidgen of what harness racing is about, and how exciting it can be. Dog lotto, hot shots, whatever you want to call it, I say give it a go and lets see what happens. It sure as f**k beats sitting on your thumbs reminising bout the good old days while our sport is slowly haemmoraging!

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I have been all about exposure Danno - TV advertising is the best option IMO.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Just thinking about TV exposure/advertising. I just realized the things I laugh about on country TV (god our weekend visitors love the ads LOL) should be working to Harness's advantage.

The Western District is pretty much the home of harness so why is it that I get someone come on (during what would be a prime ad slot in Melbourne but we have different ads remember) and tell me that Drung South 27.15 defeated Cuddgyware 1.1 etc AND our news (yes we have local news when you get your Current Affair) will have about 15min of local footy every night but never anything about Harness.

The local gallops trainer like Weir and the local gallops meets will get a brief mention but NEVER harness. I played for one of these football teams once long ago and if you knew the standard of some games it is mind-boggling to think that up here thanks to Win any old stuggling footy team can get as much air time as any AFL team.

Reading the history of the Horsham Trotting Club, they always seemed to have people of influence involved so surely todays harness officials have as much clout as the President of Drung South so why can't we lobby for a bit of coverage.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Camilla"s Lovechild View Post
    Danno, no one is changing the way we race. But as you say we need more exposure. Currently what we are doing is obviously not working. Simple as that! I say lets use that small window of opportunity to show the wider public a smidgen of what harness racing is about, and how exciting it can be. Dog lotto, hot shots, whatever you want to call it, I say give it a go and lets see what happens. It sure as f**k beats sitting on your thumbs reminising bout the good old days while our sport is slowly haemmoraging!
    Leigh,
    I'm not saying lets sit our collective thumbs, more saying that our proble lies in the ever shrinking number of participants, be they owners, trainers, breeders,drivers and punters or any combination of the afforementioned.
    This silly game we play had it's origins and was developed by its PARTICIPANTS.

The TAB turnover will grow when we have more participants because that is how this game has always been relevant...Little Johnny from up the road has a horse going OK and gets a following, young Mary does the same, etc etc. This is not and never was the sport of kings, it is and always was the horse racing caper of tradesmen, publicans, farmers and "ordinary folk".

In my humble opinion, therein lies a large part of our problem, we have forgotten who we are and who we should be projecting ourselves toward.

Cheers,
    Dan

Senior Member 4YO Lucky Camilla"s Lovechild will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Leigh Stollery
    I think we need to get TAB turnover growing first. Prizemoney will increase, and then participants will return. But before we can get TAB turnover growing, we need to address the integrity of the sport. I dont believe anyone in the sport has forgotten who we are and why we got involved in harness racing. We just need people not invovled in harness racing to believe they can invest their hard earned, on or in an honest above board sport. I believe syndicates are a great way of introducing new people to our sport for a modest outlay. I know its not a new idea. But have the HRV or HRNSW ever invested heavily in it before.

Member Gelding Sofoulis will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Adam Sofoulis
    Occupation
    Pen pusher
    Horses
    Yayas Hot Spot, Eh Ef El, Summertime Liz
    Very interesting thread and it is clear that everyone posting is wanting the best for harness racing.

For what it is worth, I think TV advertising and exposure on news or other TV programs is a great way to reignite the memories of attending the trots in the glory days. Many of my colleagues who see random pictures I have of my horses will comment "oh, I remember going to Gloucester park as a kid, I absolutely loved it" and I think TV 'reminders' of this is a great way to reinitiate their interest and the big events (take inters night at Gloucester Park a few years ago) demonstrate that this still works and that the trots resonates with the community. The tricky part is getting people interested in the industry for more than just one night a year and, in my view, a good way to do this is through an ownership interest. The problem is, most people (including me a few years back) have absolutely no idea how to get involved or are worried about being screwed over financially (again, like what happened to me a few years back).

A few of the clubs have got 'club horses' and this is a great idea - but perhaps it only gets exposure to those already involved in the industry. I think though, each of us can play a small part that collectively could make a big difference by just introducing or reintroducing people to our great sport.

As an example, a few weeks back there was a charity quiz night I was involved in. Prizes were the usual (a nights accommodation, or a bottle of wine or a voucher etc.) but the winning team also got a 5% share in a standardbred. Thanks to the trainer, it is being trained on a 50/50 basis so they are not going to be out-of-pocket. Thanks to the agent, commission was reduced and thanks to the existing owners who agreed to give up just a small % each etc (contributions from everyone involved)...

The winning table consisted of 5 people, none of whom had ever owned a horse, but:
    1 grew up going to Gloucester Park and loved it
    1 always wanted a 'pony' as a kid and says she is now effectively living that dream
    1 didn't even know horses could race "with a cart on their back"
    and all 5 of them are emailing me explaining how exciting it is and how they love telling their friends and family about it etc. etc. and the interest in our sport becomes exponential. Whether or not they ever get another horse is still to be seen, but it can only be good for the sport.

And, as an owner in the sport, there is nothing better than sharing the experience with others - both the highs and lows!!!

To clarify, I am not suggesting we all put our hands in our pocket and give everyone free shares in our horses, I am just suggesting that this personal 'marketing' of our sport is something we can do ourselves without relying on HRA or the state bodies or the clubs.....

Senior Member 2YO Njcstables will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Nathan Cahir
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple V View Post
    Both Hot Shots and the similarly mindless ridiculously named tripe HRNSW served up here...complete with the dish licker colours...is nothing short of an absolute bloody travesty. It's a HRA green lighted TAB powered attempt to debase Harness Racing and turn it into a churn and burn Dog Lotto style product. Those behind it should individually and collectively hang their &$#ing heads in shame.
    Absolutely couldn't agree more!

Member Yearling cyclone george will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    greg fusinato
    While I agree whith most of what has been discussed I really believe you have all missed the most important thing that harness racing has not built on . Yearling sales , or should I say lack of promotion. The apg site is a total disgrace ,we have had our race series no mention of any winners ,not even a word about the sensational achievement of bill and Anne breading both winners, that follows the stars cost about 20 grand only( I think) .

I know Kyle rang our local win news in gippsland and did a story on queen of pop's win ,it was a very good story interviewed Gary and Debbie , show the race etc, so it can be done.

In nz as a horse that's wins a group race anywhere in Australia or nz there is story about it on the nz website. How many of the horses that mark has brought out of the sales here have become top line horses ,and not a word on apg site or harness site.

I've just syndicated a horse , and the people have had a few gallopers as such with not a lot of luck , it's a well bred yearling,I haven't promised them anything but one thing it really did surprised them was the amount of money the horse could race for. Eg apg ,sires,breeders crown etc ,derbys,breeders crown again etc, and they can't believe how cheap it is to train one compared to gallopers.

There plenty to promote ,the social aspects, fun of owning one ,more owners will breed more punters and it all starts with sales, honest educated trainers,(that's where the kiwis kill us),and vibrant administrators, I believe in the theory that your CEO should be changed every 6-8 years ( there is exceptions) because they have new ideas,new directions just look at footy clubs.

Vvv I would like to see 1 race per meeting 1000-1200m for three months ,every meeting race 3 ,call it the sprint or whatever,any class ,our horses are going so quick now like gallopers a lot can't even stay a flat out 1200. 20 years ago every horse could run a mile and a half ,now there a lot can there best up to 1800, and it will extend a few horses careers. I bet very little but I always bet on the sprints.

+ Reply to Thread