Thread: How do we make Harness Racing strong via today's sports betting market

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Thats a great post Phil, you have highlighted many of the strong points that need promoting and a few of the mistakes that have been made in the past and present. Lots of relevant content IMO.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Peaces Of You, Final Peace.
    I took the survey .
    I think we need our own dedicated station on sky. The current admin has lost touch with the industry, Montes and dash races (under 1609m) are stupid and embarrassing . I'm still not convinced that sprint lanes are an improvement .
    I think the pony trots are a great idea, I always watch them when I'm on course. They should be better promoted.
    With betting shifting online, all tracks should have free wi-fi. Nothing more frustrating than poor reception on your smart phones at some tracks .
    Don't die wondering !

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Rick, I said YES! when I read your reminder about Pony trots as they are great entertainment and a great promotional tool but then I remembered they are only going to happen at day meetings on non-school days but at least there are a few of them.
    I wonder whether our own Sky station will only cater for the current enthusiasts and lose us converts?

Facilities have to be improved too - I would have gone to Hamilton today but I was partly put off by the weather and remembering that last winter the lounge only had 2 bar radiators on chairs for heating
    Last edited by Messenger; 05-05-2014 at 04:34 PM.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Banned Yearling cityboy will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    dougie miller
    there is no help for harness racing , except for wa who set a good example, and victoria in a lesser degree, as for the rest you can leave me out as a participant and leave me out as a punter. they look after their pretty selves and i as a punter dont want to give them anything because they dont deserve punters like me and as far as im concerned they can starve like they have done to others......who wants to go to the trots and be surrounded by idiots and children doing mini trots? punters want 1. money. 2. have a good drink and feed. 3. plenty of chicks. 4. have a good time - money is not going to come from pensioners and children, and certainly not from driving punters that have a go out of the sport - there is the industry good luck leave me alone .

Senior Member 4YO p plater will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    bailey martin
    Bye George, you obviously, don't have your own chick nor God forbid children. There are plenty of others around who can enjoy themselves without your type of attitude.

Bali is good this time of year.

Real Name
    dougie miller
    nope your right there bailey, and i certainly dont want to go to bali (unless i got 4kg of marijuana in my surf bag) or jail like some of the crooked trainers and stewards, but i got better things to do like go to a pub or club and bet on the tab or net, (maybe pick up chicks) and not be caught up in the b@#$it that goes on the trots (or be involved with a trotting chick). if they want turnover then its about attracting people that will turnover money not market it to people that dont have capacity to turn over money. > people get burnt = industry sinks (except for new people putting in) as a spectator it doesnt look too pretty on tv. have fun baily with whats left of the industry, maybe one day it will be feasable for me to be a trainer/driver or some1 will have the guts to put up with me and i repay by kicking some butt. one thing i reckon would be a hit is the next underbelly being called `THE RED HOTS` after all the corruption thats gone on and the participants surrounding it, with a bit of fictional twist.
    Last edited by cityboy; 05-05-2014 at 05:59 PM.

Senior Member 4YO p plater will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    bailey martin
    Sorry George, there would not be enough room for you and your ego.

Real Name
    dougie miller
    ah well bailey it takes a coward to be in a fight and guts to walk away from one for me it aint worth it. if i get treated with more decency and respect then yes i may be interested being involved on a daily basis. but with all the propaganda and innuendo im not happy being involved. thankyou baily for sharing your thoughts and wish you well. peace man..

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    George suggests we need to market to people that have the capacity to turnover money but that we do not look that pretty on TV (I love the trots but have never asked an unbiased person what they think)
    I will throw in some alternative ideas
    What if we cannot get a big enough share of the sports betting market? Do we even want to be at the mercy of the punting dollar?
    Should we be happy to be a distant 2nd/3rd tier of racing and cut our cloth accordingly
    Should we be aiming to be an entertainment package. Football is now attracting a big slice of the sports betting market but it does not even need it - they have a product that people love to watch/attend.
    I think Phil's earlier post is on this track

The sun is out now! I should be at Hamilton
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    dougie miller
    one interesting point i have to my previous comments about `not looking pretty on tv` at bankstown paceway there is a `hock -a-car ` billboard on the turn entering the back straight - that business owner was part of the crimminal underworld who commited suicide in 2011 and was all over the newspapers and that business ceased trading. dont you think hrnsw would take some initiative and spend a few hundred dollars to have it covered over. and possibly put some new fences in just to make it look a bit prettier on tv? maybe new sponsers and just have a more vibrant promotional crew or maybe even `tender it` on a performance for payment basis? maybe there is not a place for all the outgoing tracks as im aware of big plans for incoming tracks , so i suppose there is this transition period of about 1-3 years for everything to be completed, thought there is this flat spot we are debating. (thought there is nothing left for city folk) whom most dont want to travel to the new tracks.

+ Reply to Thread