Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Follow the stars

Junior Member Foal followingthestars will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Mark Robson

Follow the stars

Would love to hear your thoughts on Follow The Stars and how far you think he will go ?

Senior Member 4YO brent_L will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Brent Lambert
    As dominant a performance(s) as I've seen by a young horse. It looks as though he has all the attributes that will propel him to at least the equal of the best 2yo I've seen in Lombo Pocket Watch. From there it's the lofty heights of Courage Under Fire's 3yo term (ahh the memories, especially the Gold Coast Derby)......I know that's a big stretch but Purdon certainly has set the bar high in declaring he may be better than a younger Smolda. Can he be as special as the 'pocket rocket'?? 24 straight wins says probably not. From there he'd have to break the 'mould'. I am yet to see a champion 2/3yo turn out to be the grand circuits best (Blackie was robbed of his chance through injury but that may have been a blessing in disguise). Time will tell though Mark, but one things for sure, it will be exciting viewing.

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    Quote Originally Posted by brent_L View Post
    I am yet to see a champion 2/3yo turn out to be the grand circuits best (Blackie was robbed of his chance through injury but that may have been a blessing in disguise).
    VVV- Golden Reign & Shakamaker spring to mind. Also Divisive and Smooth Satin.
    Last edited by Triple V; 05-05-2014 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Added a couple

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple V View Post
    Courage may not have been the best Grand Circuit but he was still bloody good and if those four get a mention so should Courage.

As for putting a ceiling or expectation on Follow the Stars, I am just happy to watch and enjoy!

Senior Member 4YO eliteblood has a spectacular aura about eliteblood's Avatar
    Real Name
    Trevor Swan
    Horses
    Sabilize, Sushi Sushi, Golden Goddess,
    Hondo Grattan, Paleface Adios, Westburn Grant,

Senior Member 4YO brent_L will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Brent Lambert
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple V View Post
    Golden Reign was slightly before my time so I can't give an opinion.
    What I was getting at is that I have yet to see the best 2/3yo turn out to be the best at their craft as an open class horse. Courage was very good but I don't believe he was a cut above in open class and Divisive & SS don't fit that criteria either IMO. Others that immediately come to mind who failed to replicate their juvenile dominance are Lombo PW, Captain Joy & Sushi. Just saying (in my time) it seems nigh on impossible to be the 'best' after dominating as a young horse. Here's hoping FTStars can buck the trend.

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    Quote Originally Posted by brent_L View Post
    Golden Reign was slightly before my time so I can't give an opinion.
    What I was getting at is that I have yet to see the best 2/3yo turn out to be the best at their craft as an open class horse. Courage was very good but I don't believe he was a cut above in open class and Divisive & SS don't fit that criteria either IMO. Others that immediately come to mind who failed to replicate their juvenile dominance are Lombo PW, Captain Joy & Sushi. Just saying (in my time) it seems nigh on impossible to be the 'best' after dominating as a young horse. Here's hoping FTStars can buck the trend.
    VVV- Both Divisive and Smooth Satin were exceptional juveniles that went on to win Miracle Miles. Not sure how much more they could have done. Golden Reign won the APG Final as a 2yo and went on to win an ID Final as an aged horse. Shakamaker the same. I forgot about Tailamade Lombo. Exceptional juvenile, exceptional Aged horse.

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Brent, I think that Divisive done pretty well for himself,
    Won 2yr old Breeders Crown
    Won Vic Derby
    Won Aust Derby
    Won NSW Detby
    Won Tas Derby
    2nd 3yr old Breeders Crown
    Won Miracle Mile
    2nd Interdom
    2nd WA Pacing Cup
    2nd Fremantle Cup before injury finished his career, Another factor that might have been overlooked is the quality of his opposition, He raced some Superstars in his career and was right up there with them.
    Last edited by Richard prior; 05-06-2014 at 08:48 PM.

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Very hard for a mare or filly to compete against the boys but Tailamade Lombo also done a pretty fair job,
    Won 2yr old Aust Pacing Gold
    Won Vic Oaks
    Won Aust Derby
    Won Aust Oaks
    Won 2 Tas Pacing Champs
    Won Qld Pacing Champs. Again there was a lot of quality opposition for her in the open ranks.

Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    No doubt about Follow the Stars quality, He is an exceptional juvenile and I would love to see him reach the heights of the above mentioned but it's a long hard road and fingers crossed he has an exceptional career, It will certainly be fantastic viewing.

+ Reply to Thread