Roll With Joe
Closed Thread
Page 50 of 100 FirstFirst ... 40 48 49 50 51 52 60 ... LastLast

Thread: ODDS AND ENDS - not worth a thread but worth a post

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Quote Originally Posted by Amlin View Post
    Popular former Melbourne horseman Frank Hoban has died at age 90. Sons Shane and Gary followed their dad into the sport.

When I worked at HR Weekly over 10 years ago I interviewed Frank, a former boxer in his youth. At that stage he was the last trainer on the Gower Park track in Preston, and would jog his horse in the traffic down Murray Road every morning for pacework on the track. He always promised me a ride around the track (must have had a double jog cart) but I never did get there. There was a photo I saw some years ago of a horse parked at the traffic lights which was on the front of the Harness Racer - perhaps it was Frank driving.

One of the real characters of our sport who would have taken a lot of yarns with him. One of his best trotters was Bravado Vale (Kilmore Trotters Cup)
    Great to see Dancingwithsierra get the chocolates for the Hoban's after losing their father Frank recently.

Senior Member 4YO brent_L will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Brent Lambert
    It was a fantastic salute from driver Gary too......a peep to the heavens just before the post as well.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year arlington will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    Condolences and congratulations to the Hobans. No doubt Frank's life will be celebrated with some entertaining memories.

Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    Quote Originally Posted by Amlin View Post
    Popular former Melbourne horseman Frank Hoban has died at age 90. Sons Shane and Gary followed their dad into the sport.

When I worked at HR Weekly over 10 years ago I interviewed Frank, a former boxer in his youth. At that stage he was the last trainer on the Gower Park track in Preston, and would jog his horse in the traffic down Murray Road every morning for pacework on the track. He always promised me a ride around the track (must have had a double jog cart) but I never did get there. There was a photo I saw some years ago of a horse parked at the traffic lights which was on the front of the Harness Racer - perhaps it was Frank driving.

One of the real characters of our sport who would have taken a lot of yarns with him. One of his best trotters was Bravado Vale (Kilmore Trotters Cup)

In keeping with celebrating the life of Frank Hoban.
    Gower Park trials, of a Sunday morning, were a big part of my introduction to the sport. Way too young to have driven around the circuit 'laughs' but I can remember it having three corners rather than two bends, tighter than the Showgrounds. Many of the doyens of the sport including Gordon Rothacker, Phonse Hickey trialled there and young drivers like Ginger Gleeson developed their skills. I think Ging was a bit of a demon around Gower Park 'smiles'.
    With the Northland Drive-in adjoining, the car parking for the horse floats and trucks along Gower St found it doubling as scabs alley for the more frugal young lad of a Friday night (obviously keeping their dosh for a dabble on the trots). And for those who doubt the intentions of a young lad, the hang on the car window speakers could be turned up over the fence

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    PalaisDuLouvre,Trip 7s, AnythingForLove
    Quote Originally Posted by arlington View Post
    In keeping with celebrating the life of Frank Hoban.
    Gower Park trials, of a Sunday morning, were a big part of my introduction to the sport. Way too young to have driven around the circuit 'laughs' but I can remember it having three corners rather than two bends, tighter than the Showgrounds. Many of the doyens of the sport including Gordon Rothacker, Phonse Hickey trialled there and young drivers like Ginger Gleeson developed their skills. I think Ging was a bit of a demon around Gower Park 'smiles'.
    With the Northland Drive-in adjoining, the car parking for the horse floats and trucks along Gower St found it doubling as scabs alley for the more frugal young lad of a Friday night (obviously keeping their dosh for a dabble on the trots). And for those who doubt the intentions of a young lad, the hang on the car window speakers could be turned up over the fence
    Gower Park track looks like still there! Reckon used to be red scoria? Now called Blake Park by look of it. Drive In now a big shopping centre. Over to right where Bunnings is used to be Preston Hostel. Where I first ‘landed’ back in late 60’s as a young lad. Can remember waking up first morning seeing Drive In screen and think was a huge cricket sightscreen. Wasn’t there for long but can recall seeing horses going round one morning and wondering what was going on.

hahahah! Turning speakers up near fence worked at many Drive Ins!!
    Attached Images

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Amlin will become famous soon enough Amlin's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kyle Galley
    I was there about 3 years ago and took some photos. The track still there along with some distance markers and track use regulation signs and the tie up area. Track is like a square with rounded edges. How they ran fields of eight around it amazes me!

On the above pic the tie up and wash area is on the corner near the word Park, beside what is now the Northland Homemaker Centre.
    Last edited by Amlin; 01-14-2015 at 03:59 PM.

Senior Member 4YO brent_L will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Brent Lambert
    Bad drives are a dime a dozen but I can't remember one as bad as R7 Mildura tonight for a while

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Maorisidol has a spectacular aura about Maorisidol's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ash Singh
    Quote Originally Posted by brent_L View Post
    Bad drives are a dime a dozen but I can't remember one as bad as R7 Mildura tonight for a while
    Silly thing is Brent the horse that went from 1/1 to try to get to the death is a Mildura local Trainer Driver.
    With a Cramp horse leading (2nd Fav) and a Cramp horse in the death seat (4th Fav), and you are $28.70 whats the real chance of you gettin the death?
    Zero.

Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    Quote Originally Posted by Toohard View Post
    Gower Park track looks like still there! Reckon used to be red scoria? Now called Blake Park by look of it. Drive In now a big shopping centre. Over to right where Bunnings is used to be Preston Hostel. Where I first ‘landed’ back in late 60’s as a young lad. Can remember waking up first morning seeing Drive In screen and think was a huge cricket sightscreen. Wasn’t there for long but can recall seeing horses going round one morning and wondering what was going on.

hahahah! Turning speakers up near fence worked at many Drive Ins!!
    You dared to venture over the creek into Heidelberg West Paul?! The red scoria might have been on the athletic track built as part of the Olympic Village for the '56 Melbourne Games, upper right corner in the pic.

Kyle, did you pick a vantage point to call the trials? Not sure if they called them. Don't think the late maestro Bruce Skeggs OAM called but would have graced being a long term Heidelberg Councillor and MLA for Ivanhoe. Can't remember any mobile starts...imagine getting up to release speed let alone hitting the first bend! How about, for a bit of nostalgia, Hunter Cup stand qualifiers head to Gower Park

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I did more racing at the athletic track myself Wayne - your local knowledge makes me think we may have lived closed to each other at some point. As well as that I taught in West Heidelberg for 10yrs
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Closed Thread