Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Breeding

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Hi Triple
    There's an interesting yearling for sale in the trotguide today it's by Artsplace out of an Artiscape mare which is a very close match.

Hi Love of courage
    Just so you no i'm not saying anything bad about the cross it just interests me as why some one would breed so close and what there trying to achieve. I like the breeding side of thing's and i'm learning all the time and that's why i started this post to get people's thought's and idea's on breeding and how close they would go when matching a mare with a stallion and what they like to see in a pedigree.

triplev123
    Interesting. 1x3 Artsplace if I have it right. Unusual. Type wise though, if they suit each other, good for them.

Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Hey Triple

I thought that would be 1x2 to Artsplace, as his sire is Artsplace and his grand sire is as well.

triplev123
    Nah, you could only get that (1x2) if you put Artsplace over one of his own daughters.
    Not that I've seen it with him... but I have seen exactly that done in years gone by. There's a very good family that Edgar Tatlow had that features a mare bred just that way in its removes. I know a bloke who bred or tried to breed a Dream Away mare to Modern Art. (obviously closely linebred to Artsplace)

Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Yeah Triple your right it is a 1x3 my mistake.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Greg Hando will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hando
    Idont mind seeing a 2 x 3 up close on the maternal sides only of both sides sire and dam
    Have whoever you want on but don't ever have yourself on

Senior Member 2YO Love Of Courage will become famous soon enough Love Of Courage's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sue Smith
    Hello Hello,

Well spotted Mango !

I could say that my Artsplace colt was the result of some in depth pedigree research based upon the outstanding sucess of the Artsplace progeny, and that my goal was to produce a extremely close relation to the great stallion Artsplace.

Or I could simply say that after 3 failed attempts in N.Z. to get one mare in foal to Rock N Roll Hanover and 2 failed attempts with this colts dam to Rock N Roll Hanover I was given the option of trying with Artsplace. I had wanted an Artsplace foal, however with no semen available to me in Australia I was advised that I could get semen for my mares in N.Z instead.

It was only after a positive test I realised the "mistake", that the dam was by Artiscape a son of Artsplace.

So far so good, a nice healthy colt with only 1 head and four legs. I am tempted to play him the duelling banjos from the movie Deliverance to see if he has too much hillbilly blood in him. After reading up about inbreeding, it could go either way with him receiving the good or bad genes. So far so good as he is progressing nicely, and looking at him physically and having him thoroughly vetted, everthings good. I have his half sister in training and she is a 2 year old by Courage Under Fire. Her dam is a 3/4 sister to the dam of Courage so a little common blood there. A doubling up of blood from the great racemare Robin Dundee. Now how could that not be a good thing to have in the pedigree.

She is a beautiful filly, very sensible and healthy with a great appetite like her dad. She looks incredibly much like Courage and I am hoping that she has some of his ability. If any of you are interested in a share in the lease of my 3 fillys trained by Darren McCall please feel free to contact me. A generous lease with no ingoings, and hopefully lots of fun.

Regards,

Sue
    Last edited by Love Of Courage; 05-16-2011 at 02:03 AM.

Senior Member 2YO Love Of Courage will become famous soon enough Love Of Courage's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sue Smith

Artsplace Colt

Hello Hello,

This is the Artsplace colt in question. This picture was taken at Twisted Stick Lodge in Christchurch New Zealand in December last year.

He is now here with me in Brisbane and was named in N.Z. as " In Like Finn"

Regards,

Sue

In Like Finn A.jpg
    Last edited by Love Of Courage; 05-16-2011 at 01:58 AM.

Real Name
    Sue Smith

Courage Filly

Hello Hello,

This is my Courage 2 year old filly. Once again this filly has double up of common genes, but once again a healthy filly. The picture was taken in January of this year. This is one of the fillies for lease if anyone is interested in joining me, in training with Darren McCall.

Robyns Fire A.jpg

Regards,

Sue
    Last edited by Love Of Courage; 05-16-2011 at 02:05 AM.

Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Hi Sue

Thanks for your reply, i find the breeding side of thing's interesting and thats why i started this post to hear of people's idea's and thoughts. Now i hope you don't think i'm bagging your Artsplace colt it's just that i find the cross interesting that's all. I do like your cross with the same mare to Courage Under Fire, Mightymo/Triple have pointed out that there have been some horses that have been inbred and have turned out to be good horses so hopefully yours will aswell. Question for you if you had your time over again do you think if you realised how close the cross was would of you tried it and also do you think it had a negative effect on you selling the colt.

+ Reply to Thread