Thread: Motor Smoker

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Looked like the horse choked down to me but he could well have had other problems that were unseen. I know this can happen from experience, about twenty years ago I was driving a horse in a trial at Cessnock when all of a sudden he was unresponsive in the mouth, then started to wobble about and then crashed over the running rail ( we were still using running rails in 1994) The horse had died on his feet, presumably from a heart attack, he had been doing well in all his work, had qualified the week before quite easily...so yeah stuff can be going on inside the horse that nobody knows a about.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    PalaisDuLouvre,Trip 7s, AnythingForLove
    If the horse did have internal problem that made it 'panic' and get charging like it did its probably lucky the driver didn't come out 3 wide at the bell. If collapses in front of field or in field causes all sorts of carnage.

Senior Member Colt The Escape Club will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Robert Salathiel
    Quote Originally Posted by brent_L View Post
    Ok, but would this have been avoidable by letting the horse stride 3 wide at the bell? I'm as much a horseman as I am a supermodel but to my eye this seemed avoidable with a more heady drive?
    Cheers for the info Robert....did it come out of the inquiry??

It could have possibly come from the inquiry but that's not where I came by the information.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year trish will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    patricia ilsley
    Leaving the front straight with one lap to travel, Motor Smoker, which was racing in the running line, commenced to pull extremely hard when covered by runners working 3 wide. Passing the 800m Motor Smoker became unbalanced and veered out checking Tabanan. Motor Smoker then began to stagger and veered out sharply in the back straight before contacting the outside fence at approximately the 700m and falling to the track. A post-race veterinary examination of Motor Smoker revealed that the gelding was deceased. Post-motem blood and urine samples were collected from the gelding. On inspection Dr Peter Ellis observed signs suggestive of an internal haemorrhage. An autopsy was ordered to assist in determining the cause of death. This post mortem examination was conducted on 25/05/2014 and no significant abnormalities could be found which would enable the cause of death to be conclusively determined.
    Stunning Grin broke rounding the home

Senior Member 4YO Lucky Camilla"s Lovechild will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Leigh Stollery
    Its hard enough to get a good one, let alone have something like this happen to it.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I guess we also have to wait until analsis of swabs
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread