+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Melton Review

Senior Member 4YO p plater will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    bailey martin
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Atom View Post
    Hi Keith,
    Sadly Trigger's farewell tour is not going to get better. Even allowing for a first up run he finished 10.5 metres behind the winner in a race where they Rated 1:53:9 on a good track. The old Trigger could have sat on the outside and done that time on his ear. He has been a great champion but age catches up with all of us both animal and human.
    To be fair Rod, if Lance didn't think time had caught up with Smoken Up, there would not be a farewell tour, even on last nights run there can be no doubt Trigger still wants to be there but the young legs aren't, the same trademark courage to tough it out was again on full display.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    PalaisDuLouvre,Trip 7s, AnythingForLove
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoken View Post
    Age sure does catch up to everyone and everything.. What do you guys think of BOB run? Will he reach the heights he once did? I remember that when he was 4yrs old, he was so strong and racing style so very different. What happens for horses to change so drastically? Villagem is another one along with Franco Jamar etc etc..
    Injury mainly. Sickness too. Have a look at a horses legs compared to yours. They got 4 of course but they carrying 500+kg. Theres websites showing bone structure etc of horses leg joints. Compare them to yours. Doesn't take a lot to go wrong to stop a horse. Or slow it down even. Theres not a huge difference time wise between the good ones and the not so good ones. Good one gets an injury they back in the field pretty quick smart. All those you mentioned had problems.

Senior Member 4YO Smoken will become famous soon enough Smoken's Avatar
    Real Name
    Evangelos Paps
    I guess you make very valid points Paul. If a horse has races like Trigger the majority of his/her career, could that just make them not want to race anymore? I'm shocked how Trigger is still racing now, with his legendary brutal style of racing that we know the Champ for & love him for over the years. I guess some kind of mental strength has to play a part and obviously to be looked after by there trainers etc.

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    G'Day PH, Have you just thawed out after the races last night ??? lol. Quinny's had his share of leg problems as well and it's not an uncommon thing with good horses. Now I'm not going to compare my legs with any horses because mine are shocking and I'm only carrying around 120kgs.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    ITMQ had more than leg problems. I reckon good ones get more injuries because they push so hard. They want to do it and push that bit extra. Too brave!!

Nothing better than watching brave horse run.

Yes freezing cold there last night but bigger than normal crowd and great night.

Didn't feel cold race 1 though!!

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    I watched one of Tappy's interviews a couple of years ago and Lombo La Fe Fe was in the background and at first glance, You would say she was in a bit of pain the way she was moving. Now she was one of the best fillies there has ever been and only had 44 starts but you could really tell that the hard racing had taken it's toll, Especially on her legs.

Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Quote Originally Posted by Toohard View Post
    ITMQ had more than leg problems. I reckon good ones get more injuries because they push so hard. They want to do it and push that bit extra. Too brave!!

Nothing better than watching brave horse run.

Yes freezing cold there last night but bigger than normal crowd and great night.

Didn't feel cold race 1 though!!
    Good on ya mate, Good result!!

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Mighty Atom will become famous soon enough Mighty Atom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rod Reeves
    Occupation
    retired
    I'm in awe of horses like Quinny, Trigger , Bitobliss and others that can come back from potentially career ending injuries and continue at the very top level of competition, but it is what ITMQ and SU have been able to achieve after serious injuries that stands them above the others as great champions.

Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    I'm in awe of horses like Quinny, Trigger , Bitobliss and others that can come back from potentially career ending injuries and continue at the very top level of competition, but it is what ITMQ and SU have been able to achieve after serious injuries that stands them above the others as great champions.
    Well said Rod. Having bred one not up to the standards of the ones you mentioned and seen it hurt and get back to races, mostly because he wanted to, they stand above all. Too brave!

Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Well said Rod, Guts, Mental toughness and just wanting to get out there and compete is something that is really overlooked these days when we are all looking for speed.

+ Reply to Thread