Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Training methods used

Hybrid View

Junior Member Foal craig547 will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    craig vandongen

Training methods used

training a 3 year old stonebridge regal gelding he won 2 starts,then started to lose power up the straight with a furlong to go. He developed a cough and earlier had an infection from some greasy heel, so i turned him out to the middle of july which should give him 8 weeks. but when i bring him back i want to train him a bit different ,i want to train him for a bit more stamina so the heats or intervals with shorter breaks look the way to go the ideas i have are

first stage
    jogging up starting at 10 min and building up to 30 min about 10 km by 5th week incorparating some canter work during the final weeks about 15 min.
    second stage pace work

do ted demmler method of 40 second quarters starting of a 5 min to 6 the 7 one week then 8,9,10 min the next on mon, wed ,friday.
    or
    inverval training as tom ivers book decribes
    also i seen a training progam by peter walsh from back in 1999, same first stage jogging,the 10*110 not sure if they are 110 metre sprints then hobble twice a week doing halves in 15's and 10's.

my problem is so much information ,some saying not to many miles ,hobble slow some the other way.

so what i was looking for was, what sought of methods do the top trainers use, i know some have wealthy owners and buy horses already going ,i know they still have to keep them and improving and sound. but some of these trainers turn out top class horses every season. has anyone seen any other training methods

thanks craig

Senior Member 2YO HISGEN65 will become famous soon enough HISGEN65's Avatar
    Real Name
    James Lewin
    Occupation
    Full time job..sadly
    Horses
    Sign of Perfecshon-Highview Sign
    you gallop him much Craig ?

Junior Member Foal craig547 will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    craig vandongen

hi

Quote Originally Posted by HISGEN65 View Post
    you gallop him much Craig ?
    i don't gallop at all but was thinking of once a week instead of hobbling doing 23 sec furlongs, doing two 1 mile intevals.. i have read mcarthy's gallop a lot. thanks

Real Name
    James Lewin
    Occupation
    Full time job..sadly
    Horses
    Quote Originally Posted by craig547 View Post
    i don't gallop at all but was thinking of once a week instead of hobbling doing 23 sec furlongs, doing two 1 mile intevals.. i have read mcarthy's gallop a lot. thanks
    any improvements bud ?

Real Name
    James Lewin
    Occupation
    Full time job..sadly
    Horses
    I have only trained my own $500 specials so I am no expert - but yes mate alot of the bigger stables gallop & gallop hard I am guessing

+ Reply to Thread