Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 80 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 ... LastLast

Thread: Trotters Only in Here...

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I cannot really put my finger on why but as I have previously mentioned, I have never followed the trotters. I think back in the 70's I thought (or was lead to believe) they were too unreliable which brought into play a way to lose your money without getting a run for your money. I can appreciate the champions but not races like I saw at Horsham yesterday
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year The Form Student will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Steve Carter
    Occupation
    Astral Projectionist
    Horses
    Rocket Glenfern, Tudor Royal, Manaroa,
    Dave, there were 3 races today, 21starters in total, 6,7 & 8 runners........$20,000 in prizemoney given away......nearly a $1,000 a head! When there are more horses perhaps they will increase the programming for trotters............I did notice the trotters races pulled in roughly the same tote pools as the pacers....so that's a plus! Overall, I would say that it was a pathetic set of fields for the day, some races only had 5 runners!
    Last edited by The Form Student; 10-28-2014 at 10:36 PM.

Real Name
    Steve Carter
    Occupation
    Astral Projectionist
    Horses
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    I cannot really put my finger on why but as I have previously mentioned, I have never followed the trotters. I think back in the 70's I thought (or was lead to believe) they were too unreliable which brought into play a way to lose your money without getting a run for your money. I can appreciate the champions but not races like I saw at Horsham yesterday
    The races at Melton are very competitive, and generally the better credentialled horses win the races!

Senior Member Colt djgood will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    David Goodhand
    Occupation
    trainer
    Horses
    Couple of squaregaiters
    Quote Originally Posted by The Form Student View Post
    Dave, there were 3 races today, 21starters in total, 6,7 & 8 runners........$20,000 in prizemoney given away......nearly a $1,000 a head! When there are more horses perhaps they will increase the programming for trotters............I did notice the trotters races pulled in roughly the same tote pools as the pacers....so that's a plus! Overall, I would say that it was a pathetic set of fields for the day, some races only had 5 runners!
    Yeah im only saying that cause 95% of horses i train are trotters , more trainers are getting them due to the prizemoney breakup -pay place money down to 5th -

Senior Member Colt djgood will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    David Goodhand
    Occupation
    trainer
    Horses
    Couple of squaregaiters
    And the reason there was 3 was to fil the meeting up they are struggling for pacers and there is enough trotters in sydney to hold 4 or 5 races if they are all racing

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Hi DJ, Would you agree that standing starts are still a problem with the Trotters, I stopped having a punt on them many years ago in standing start races. Sure, It's great seeing a horse get up off a big handicap but wouldn't you agree, Mobile racing is definitley the way to go particularly with the juvenile trotters. The breed has evolved very quickly in recent years due to the high class Nth American and European stallions that are now available and it's a far better spectacle when all or most of the horses get away clean from behind the mobile. I'm not saying to get rid of the standing start races all together but maybe save them for the older more mature trotters and the Country Cups etc.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Maorisidol has a spectacular aura about Maorisidol's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ash Singh
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    I can understand the 70's feeling towards the pacers poorer cousin and for about another 10 years or more. But i think the likes of the great man Maoris Idol then Lyell Creek etc started to show that there can be a serious class act possible worthy of attention.
    Nowadays and i have said maybe earlier in this thread the Chris Lang factor with his passion and success with also the introduction of a lot of US and European bred trotters the standard has risen enormously in the last 10-5 years.
    Re today Kev 2 out of 12 did gallop at the start and subsequently another was CAS (checked at start) however nothing too new there, but
    During the running into the back straight 1 horse i think 3 pegs did gallop and checked and caused 3 others to gallop, so 4 galloping, certainly didn't "look" good, but having watched a lot of trotters races specifically in the last 3-4 years i can say thats quite rare... was certainly a shamozzle tho

Real Name
    Steve Carter
    Occupation
    Astral Projectionist
    Horses
    Quote Originally Posted by djgood View Post
    Yeah im only saying that cause 95% of horses i train are trotters , more trainers are getting them due to the prizemoney breakup -pay place money down to 5th -
    I was hoping MIM was going to run 3rd, for the trifecta.......plus it would have doubled your prizemoney!......I don't think she is going as good as some of her past preps.....she was matching it with the good trotters!

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Maorisidol has a spectacular aura about Maorisidol's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ash Singh
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard prior View Post
    Hi DJ, Would you agree that standing starts are still a problem with the Trotters, I stopped having a punt on them many years ago in standing start races. Sure, It's great seeing a horse get up off a big handicap but wouldn't you agree, Mobile racing is definitley the way to go particularly with the juvenile trotters. The breed has evolved very quickly in recent years due to the high class Nth American and European stallions that are now available and it's a far better spectacle when all or most of the horses get away clean from behind the mobile. I'm not saying to get rid of the standing start races all together but maybe save them for the older more mature trotters and the Country Cups etc.
    While I'm on the keyboard Rich i'll give my 2cents worth...
    SS to me are not too much of a problem if you know the form.
    And i don't just mean the form, but which horses are likely to step well, those likely 90% or above to lead or sit top 3, and those that are definitely not safe at all in a stand. So thats doin ya form regardless wether u may watch and study trotters races or not. If you wanna throw your money blindly without knowing these things then you're not too serious really are u about your coin...
    Good idea questioning SS racing for 2 and 3yo's but when do they get the experience when they get to 4 and have never had a SS?
    There are quite a few 5 6 7 year olds who hate SS who have maybe had 50-100 starts, so some, like pacers, just aren't wired for it mentally i reckon...
    Over to you DJ...

Real Name
    Steve Carter
    Occupation
    Astral Projectionist
    Horses

If only we could have another Maori's Idol, then people would stand up and cheer the trotter.....to be able to beat the best pacers in the land, as well as come off 50 & 60 yard handicaps and beat pacers in cup races! He was a freak of nature!
    Last edited by The Form Student; 10-29-2014 at 12:58 AM.

+ Reply to Thread