Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 56 of 80 FirstFirst ... 6 46 54 55 56 57 58 66 ... LastLast

Thread: Trotters Only in Here...

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    Vicbred Trots finals tomorrow night. As part of renewing my love for the gait I will endeavor to watch them as I do enjoy the good ones
    It seems amazing that the last race for $25k has only 2 horses in it that have ever run a place (2 thirds)
    Only two placings between them yet the winner will get about $10000 more than the horse who runs 5th in the final. Bizarre!

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Dot will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    Viewing racing in that light Brenno then not only will it win $10,000 more then 5th in the final, it will attain the mythical qualities of a "winner", something that some of those engaged in the finals may never do. It will obtain a "mark" which will convey a belief that it was possessed of more ability then those in the finals who do not go on to obtain a mark or faster mark. And it will add to its and it's relatives pedigrees "black type" as this is deemed a group 3 race, something some of the finalists may also never do.

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Dot View Post
    Viewing racing in that light Brenno then not only will it win $10,000 more then 5th in the final, it will attain the mythical qualities of a "winner", something that some of those engaged in the finals may never do. It will obtain a "mark" which will convey a belief that it was possessed of more ability then those in the finals who do not go on to obtain a mark or faster mark. And it will add to its and it's relatives pedigrees "black type" as this is deemed a group 3 race, something some of the finalists may also never do.
    Great points Dot, the unfairness with these Silver/Consolation races goes beyond the prizemoney.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year arlington will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    I think just as, if not more, fascinating is the $50000 Vicbred Homegrown series. Initially brought in for horses unlikely to attain lofty heights. It's a Gp2 event but limited, now, to youngsters that haven't won over 10K. This alone makes you wonder a lot about black type but I'm pretty sure it was Gp2 when the prize money won limit was just 6K. I do have some thoughts commercial breeders may have been behind the $ won clause increase. The question of why the increase has been asked of HRV by some, but no answer that I know of.

Digressing a little more, there's quite a few things about the Homegrown series, one being why it wouldn't be later in the season than May for the 2yos and, it may only be coincidental but a slot later in the season had been available to APG of late.

Trying to keep it all in context with the last few posts, why do all events have to carry black type purely based on the prize money they offer? We have similar situations with APG consolations, prize money and black type.

Considering there has been debate over the gold, silver, bronze concept v current format, using the Homegrown series, might running a couple of 25k races without black type be better and leave the VSS as is? Still a Vicbred trophy for the mantle piece.

With no disrespect to any owners who have won a Homegrown, but for the future and using the Homegrown as an example; is it a bit deceiving for prospective, newbie syndicate owners to be encouraged into progeny out of a Gp2 winning mare who competed in a conditional i.e. 6k or 10k clause?

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Dot will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    Agree with you completely on the group status for home grown, and for consolations Wayne. I'm all for ways to distribute more prizemoney to the grass roots or battlers or what ever term you wish to use, but races that are for also rans in heats ( taking nothing away from them some may be very talented and just unlucky on the day) or have restricted conditions of entry should not carry Group status. That should be reserved for races open to all.

Whether consolations should or shouldn't be conducted is another debate. Racing folk are cut from many different cloths, for some pursuit of the racing dream takes precedence and the chance to participate at the highest level outweighs the interest in a better chance of accumulating cash at a lower level.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I would have taken shorter than the winning odds of $2.90 that Vicbred 3yoF winner Moonshine Linda would have to be by Bacardi Lindy BUT I would have lost my money (Majestic Son x Maori Sunshine)
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    In the 4yo Entires and Gelding Final Next Thru came so very very close to increasing his lifetime prizemoney by 150% ($45k on top of his previous $30k)
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    Wow what a great race that Silver trot was!! Not! 4 gallopers and and an odds on exacta beat the third horse by 50m. Were there any heats and semis with such abysmal results?

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Majestic Son sired 4 winners tonight including 3 of the big ones
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Brent Lilley quinella'ed the Gp2 and Gp3 trots at Melton tonight
    A fair effort when you consider their odds were
    $47 $12 $10 $9

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fie...&fromstate=vic
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread