Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: South Australia

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Amlin will become famous soon enough Amlin's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kyle Galley
    Interview with Barbara Scott as she commences her position in SA

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/su...-1226994258497

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I had to double check if she was new CEO or Chairman of Stewards when reading that Kyle
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Junior Member Weanling Longroad will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    James O'Brien
    Occupation
    Landscaper

very interesting article

Once the "first female chairman of stewards" hysteria settles the true test will begin.....

By the way Barbara can we actually start with the Stewards reports being published????

Where is Port Pirie? Or most importantly GLOBE DERBY?

I'm sure when you start they will be up much quicker as you want more people punting on SA.....
    Barbara what about the bloke that went 3 back the running line to the poles at GLOBE Saturday night.... unbelievable

Member Filly BenScadden will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Ben Scadden
    Which race was that, James?

Senior Member 3YO Race For Fun will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Toni Dartson
    South Australia gains a steward who can read a race and New South Wales plod on.

Real Name
    James O'Brien
    Occupation
    Landscaper

Reading races

Very interesting.

You have first hand experience of Ms Scott's race reading ability do you?
    I'm all for big statements but can you perhaps provide an example of this expertise?

Even better could you explain to the greater audience what the term "race reading" refers to?

Im sure Reid Sanders and his Panel may disagree that they are "plodding along".

Actually 99.9% of all people that have something to do with the industry would disagree.

SA could hardly be called a trail blazer or a state on the move. Unless walking backwards counts as being on the move?
    Ms Scotts appointment is certainly a small step forward but don't put the cart before the horse.

NSW have done more to try and regain punters confidence in the last 3 years then any other state. But facts are facts the wagering dollar can only stretch so far. Competition from all sports around the globe is clearly the one thing that will decide the future of this industry.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I cannot agree with your last sentence James for as hard as NSW administrators (not all stewards mind you) may have tried NSW has been stinking up the sport in the last 3yrs.
    And it will not just be the competition that determines our future as much as our own performance at providing an attractive package - and this is so even if you are talking about wagering alone.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member 2YO jackthepunter will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Jack Dixon
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    I cannot agree with your last sentence James for as hard as NSW administrators (not all stewards mind you) may have tried NSW has been stinking up the sport in the last 3yrs.
    And it will not just be the competition that determines our future as much as our own performance at providing an attractive package - and this is so even if you are talking about wagering alone.
    If some of whats your saying kev is about the drugs issues in nsw I disagree. You'll only find what you go looking for and it depents on how hard and long for you look.
    I'm in vic and I refuse to believe that the same drug issues that have happen in nsw, aren't happen right here every day of the week. Its either their not looking very had down here or somethings a miss. Drug issses aren't state related their widespread industry related.

Real Name
    James O'Brien
    Occupation
    Landscaper

How so?

Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post

Kevin, the "stinking up" as you so eloquently put it happened well before the last three years. If NSW were to adopt an ostrich approach they could have spent the last three years since their darkest hours simply riding along like the other states. Instead they have been clearly investing heavily on new testing regimes and have implemented things like a retention barn at Menangle.

I appreciate that it won't solely be competition that decides the future of this industry however, our own performance is almost a mute point. If the participants took a moment to realize that it is an aging industry and, it was important that everyone took an approach that
    they had to compete on a level playing field, had to promote the industry in a positive light and, couldn't just try and win as many races until caught by the lawmakers the industry would stand a chance to maintain market share.

This industry is clearly is under threat from competition. I'm sure that when I was a young bloke I watched a footy game without betting updates and I had to go to the game to see it live.
    With costs rising it will be a battle to attract new owners, and people to take an interest in the industry.
    Certainly the sale of Harold Park, and, race fields legislation fees have had the ability to keep NSW buoyant. I do wonder what may have happened without these two windfalls.

Senior Member 3YO Race For Fun will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Toni Dartson
    Hi James,

Sorry mate I’m new to this forum, I didn’t think that I was making a “big statement” and at no stage in my post did I use the word expertise. I thought what I posted was an opinion of mine it may not be right, it may not be wrong. It may not be the same as you but that’s ok. Oops my bad.
    To reply to your questions:

“Explain to the greater audience what the term race reading refers to”
    I said reading a race.
    In my opinion reading a race is understanding that at times horses race differently to their normal race patterns and not needing change of tactics rules, trainers with multiple horses in races having to go to the stewards and ray horse X is going to do this and horse Y is going to do that. I don’t for one minute think Ms Scott is the only steward can read a race. Didn’t think I had to mention my opinion on all stewards to comment on one. Its just my opinion. Oops.

Im sure Reid Sanders and his panel may disagree that they are “plodding along”
    At no stage did I mention Mr. Sanders and or his panel. Or infer that he or his panel were plodding.
    I said New South Wales was plodding. Sorry I meant the Harness Racing Industry in New South Wales. I will say that I don’t think harness racing in New South Wales is going gang busters. Not sure if that’s my bad or yours. Might be both of us.

Actually 99.9% of all people that have something to do with the industry would disagree.
    I hope you’re right but not sure. Where did you get this figure from? Is it from a survey? Do you mean 99.9% of owners, trainers, drivers, and punters all together?
    Can you please provide as you phrased it to the greater audience where you got these figures from.

As for South Australia being a trail blazer or walking backwards, or punters confidence in the last three years. I’m going to leave these statements alone as they are nothing to do with me and I think that they are your opinion which I am going to respect.

+ Reply to Thread