Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: South Australia

Member Filly BenScadden will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Ben Scadden
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    Interesting. Makes you wonder about the wisdom of Melton and Menangle long term
    It was an era of significant change, I guess. TV started to kick in, attendances dropped. It seems all the planets aligned to ensure SA harness racing was sent into a downward spin.

Senior Member 4YO Thevoiceofreason has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Bill Williams
    Occupation
    Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Longroad View Post
    That is clear that their is a distinct lack of care for what is happening in SA.
    Barbara should be able to show the right procedures.
    Procedures like this one .... I hope not....http://www.smh.com.au/sport/horserac...0619-ynv3.html

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Welcome back VOR hope the sun is shining for you.....the case you've left the link for was obviously a "balls up" from go to whoa....but there were a few balls ups in that era weren't there?
    I think the biggest issue for any kind of racing where the punting dollar is involved is the power of stewards Vs the power of the legal system, ie; if your pockets are deep enough, the stipes can't beat you.

I believe there is definitely a gap between the skills required Vs, those available to keep a lid on certain current behaviours, and I'm certain this is painfully obvious to not only yourself but many others.

There is no doubt the people on the beat need support, equally administration needs to support stipes with clearer, more functional rules that will stand up to legal scrutiny.

Cheers,
    Dan

Real Name
    Bill Williams
    Occupation
    Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Welcome back VOR hope the sun is shining for you.....the case you've left the link for was obviously a "balls up" from go to whoa....but there were a few balls ups in that era weren't there?
    I think the biggest issue for any kind of racing where the punting dollar is involved is the power of stewards Vs the power of the legal system, ie; if your pockets are deep enough, the stipes can't beat you.

I believe there is definitely a gap between the skills required Vs, those available to keep a lid on certain current behaviours, and I'm certain this is painfully obvious to not only yourself but many others.

There is no doubt the people on the beat need support, equally administration needs to support stipes with clearer, more functional rules that will stand up to legal scrutiny.

Cheers,
    Dan
    Dan

There is no doubt the rules that seem quite simple are difficult to enforce when the legal eagles get hold of them.

You only have to go back to the Geoff Small tranexamic acid case from a few years back where basically a judge was able to be convinced that blood was not part of the cardo vascular system... the trick being tranexamic acid worked on the blood which was not included in the wording of the rule at that time, hence Small walked.

I feel sorry for stewards now-days in all codes, not sure why anybody would want to be one but easy to see why some leave for greener less stressful fields of endeavor.

Real Name
    Bill Williams
    Occupation
    Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Longroad View Post
    Clearly I'm as confused as you VOR.

If my memory hasn't faded completely I recollect that Scott was interviewed by Alan Jones on 2GB and said she was terrified or something like that. I can't believe that you could be terrified driving around a trotting track at work, then whats got me Confused is that it was with a person you had wanted to pursue a proper relationship with?????? Maybe I'm missing something here?

Scott even said on that Show on SBS that she wanted to be with the bloke she said was terrifying her on 2GB. mmmm

I know its a while back but it was huge news at the time and everyone, me included thought it was just as Scott had portrayed. Not so sure now.
    Wonder whatever come of Kevin Adams, I heard through a friend that he was in QLD. Has he been sighted since he lost his job?

Anyway SA will keep her very busy
    Well no news there Jones is a shock jock....

Kevin Adams has not been lost to the industry... soon after leaving HRNSW of his own volition he was appointed as the official starter at Newcastle Trots I assume he is still there ... he was the last time I ventured to the trots.

Member Yearling Frano1982 will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Adam Francis
    Occupation
    Pastrycook
    Horses
    Sun Samurai Teasing Dolly Dagger Open
    Yeah, he's still at Newcastle...

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Amlin will become famous soon enough Amlin's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kyle Galley
    Betting "in the run" is to commence soon on SA trots apparently through corporates. Thoughts?

Junior Member Weanling Longroad will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    James O'Brien
    Occupation
    Landscaper
    Where is this happening Kyle?

I think the Board in SA must have heaps of confidence in the new Chairwoman Barbara Scott. I reckon betting in the run can open a whole new load of integrity problems.
    Hope Scott is prepared for this.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Amlin will become famous soon enough Amlin's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kyle Galley
    SA have announced a 1/4 million extra in stakes next season - for those who missed it - http://www.harness.org.au/news-artic...?news_id=23940 - I guess any increase is handy. It also seems their turnover share has gone up too.

Perhaps one of our SA followers might be able to explain though why they only run three meetings per year at Victor Harbour? It is a 1000-metre, modern track after all, and only a fairly short trip out of Adelaide (I think?) You would think this track would be able to race more often to take some of the pressure off GDP and as a replacement for Gawler.

From what I see it seems the GDP based trainers don't really like to venture too far from GDP - meets at Kapunda, Strath and Victor Harbour struggle for entries and have even been cancelled.

Member Filly BenScadden will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Ben Scadden
    The vast majority of trainers are based at - or very close to - Globe Derby. Victor Harbor is about 100km away.
    And the Globe Derby track could cope with racing there five days a week for the entire year if that was the only option - similar to what happens at a lot of tracks in the US.
    Victor is a change of pace - but very few people attend harness meetings in SA, regardless of the location.

+ Reply to Thread