Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Best horse your seen

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Mighty Atom will become famous soon enough Mighty Atom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rod Reeves
    Occupation
    retired
    I have seen almost all of the great horses race from 1969 to the present day such as Koala King, Paleface Adios, Mount Eden, Popular Alm, Christian Cullen the list goes on, but I've narrowed it down to 7.
    1. I'm Themightyquinn
    2. Mount Eden
    3. Blacks a Fake
    4. Smoken Up
    5. Pure Steel
    6. Village Kid
    7. Our Sir Vancelot

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Quote Originally Posted by jf53th View Post
    I am more impressed with my heroes from when I was young, my favourite was Paleface Adios who I met once when about 14 (me not him). Hondo Grattan was his major opposition and also a Favourite. I am off topic as he probably isn't the best I have seen but up there.

I think he once held a world record but that could be a tale.

Also rate highly Shakamaker, Pure steel, Double Identity and as everyone is saying Cullen was pretty special. Sorry there are too many.
    Pretty sure your right about Paleface Adios Jeff, I remember seeing it on Tele years ago but have failed to find it in my research. The distance was odd, Maybe a flying 1000 metre race and for some reason I think it was at Richmond or out that way, Definitley wasn't at HP.

Senior Member 2YO Viv Strangman will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Viv Strangman
    Mares in New Zealand headed by likes of ( but in no particular order) Armalight (18 wins) Bonnies Chance (32 wins) Delightful Lady (47 wins ) and Blossom Lady (43 wins)

Trotters definitely headed by Lyell Creek ( 56 wins) while other greats would include Scotch Notch (65 wins) Sir Castleton (44 wins) Take A Moment (39 wins) Pride Of Petite (35 wins) and I Can Doosit (36 wins)

Senior Member 2YO Big Max will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Ross La Spina
    CANE SMOKE.He might not be the best horse but any horse that had 400 starts for 120 wins and 136 places has to get a mention.

Senior Member 4YO eliteblood has a spectacular aura about eliteblood's Avatar
    Real Name
    Trevor Swan
    Horses
    Sabilize, Sushi Sushi, Golden Goddess,
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Atom View Post
    I have seen almost all of the great horses race from 1969 to the present day such as Koala King, Paleface Adios, Mount Eden, Popular Alm, Christian Cullen the list goes on, but I've narrowed it down to 7.
    1. I'm Themightyquinn
    2. Mount Eden
    3. Blacks a Fake
    4. Smoken Up
    5. Pure Steel
    6. Village Kid
    7. Our Sir Vancelot
    Very unusual to see Popular Alm left out of any list of best horses seen. Other great horses are Halwes, Westburn Grant and Gammalite.

Senior Member 4YO Smoken will become famous soon enough Smoken's Avatar
    Real Name
    Evangelos Paps
    Not sure if i added Iraklis, if not, he deserves a spot in here. I remember Jack Morris was always being mentioned and huge wraps.

Senior Member Colt Big K will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Kevin Spurr
    Horses
    Bonavista Bay, Shoobees Place
    Preux Chevalier deserves a mention here.Best horse in Australia in his time.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Mighty Atom will become famous soon enough Mighty Atom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rod Reeves
    Occupation
    retired
    Quote Originally Posted by eliteblood View Post
    Very unusual to see Popular Alm left out of any list of best horses seen. Other great horses are Halwes, Westburn Grant and Gammalite.
    I agree Trevor. The only reason I left him out was because he only had 62 starts. I have no doubt he would have achieved even more if he hadn't been retired because of injury. The only horse I could have removed from that list to include Poppy would have been Mount Eden and to be honest he wasn't a favourite of mine, but what that horse could do to others after giving them huge starts would probably be statistically impossible today. Gammalite, Westburn Grant, Gundary Flyer, San Simeon were other favourites along with a local champ Binshaw ( 1967 I.D. winner ). ''Binny" returned to racing after serious injury and won his last race as a 14 year old in the Fremantle Members Mile on the old Richmond Raceway. He died in 1996 at the age of 35 and his remains were buried at the winning post at Gloucester Park. I've seen many great champions and it's always difficult to compile a list of the best but I would be hardpressed to find better than these top 7.
    Last edited by Mighty Atom; 07-13-2014 at 03:38 PM. Reason: punctuation

Senior Member Horse Of The Year mightymo will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Harvey Kaplan
    Horses
    Bling It On, Nike Franco, Cruz Bromac
    Being a little younger, I never had the priviledge of seeing many of the older horses race live.

From what I have seen I would go:

Christian Cullen
    Elsu
    Blacks a Fake
    Imthemightyquinn
    Smoken Up
    Our Sir Vancelot

Senior Member 4YO p plater will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    bailey martin
    Quote Originally Posted by mightymo View Post
    Being a little younger, I never had the priviledge of seeing many of the older horses race live.

From what I have seen I would go:

Christian Cullen
    Elsu
    Blacks a Fake
    Imthemightyquinn
    Smoken Up
    Our Sir Vancelot
    I'm the same Harvey, I enjoyed watching 3 NSW pacers who raced each other from 3yo's and all become millionaire pacers....Smooth Satin, Double Identity and Jofess

+ Reply to Thread