Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Best horse your seen

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    This HRA site includes a lot of Interdom finals replays for anyone wishing a nostalgia trip

http://www.harness.org.au/inter/stars.htm
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member 4YO Smoken will become famous soon enough Smoken's Avatar
    Real Name
    Evangelos Paps
    Lance was supremely confident in that interview, from the link you posted up Kev. That was an amazing field that Interdominion.

Senior Member 3YO barney will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    brian campbell
    Popular alm for me but also Paleface Adios also a bit before that a horse called Macaree only small but a dynamo.

Senior Member Colt Chariots will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Ray Coote
    Probably older than most on here but Mount Eden for me.

Others would have far better career records with vastly different racing styles and should be acknowledged but for sheer excitement Mount Eden was in class of his own.

I am fairly certain that no other would have drawn a crowd of 5000 plus to watch him trial at Gloucester Park let alone race.

Senior Member Colt The Escape Club will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Robert Salathiel
    Quote Originally Posted by Chariots View Post
    Probably older than most on here but Mount Eden for me.

Others would have far better career records with vastly different racing styles and should be acknowledged but for sheer excitement Mount Eden was in class of his own.

I am fairly certain that no other would have drawn a crowd of 5000 plus to watch him trial at Gloucester Park let alone race.
    True. I do remember however how many used to go to Moonee Valley to watch Poppy run. I borrowed a DVD set off my brother about the history of Harness Racing (really just 4 discs of highlights of past champions), the 4th disc was around 2 hours on Poppy. 62 starts and only finished out of the first 3, 3 times. It was interesting to note that when Vinny was talking about him, he mentioned what an athletic horse he was, exactly the same thing that I've heard the Halls say about Quinny.

As good as Poppy's record was, he seemed to be injured at bad times throughout his career, missing key races or racing underdone. I remember the Sandgropers crowing when Rhett's Law won the WA Interdominion, knocking Poppy off, who ran third. The fact that Poppy even competed in the series was almost a miracle in itself.

He was a speed freak and yet it's amazing to see how many of his races were 3000m+. In classic races he had a strike rate of 79% along with San Simeon, the only one better was Maori's Idol at 87%.

Member Gelding Grinder will become famous soon enough Grinder's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dave Solosy
    Occupation
    Grumpy man
    Pure Steel for me. Toughest and gamest champion in an are of great champions. I was at GP for the Match Race of the Century against Satinover. Check it out on YouTube.
    Quinny and Christian Cullen are up there too, for sheer excitement. Poppy was amazing. Another NZ champ I loved was Young Quinn who went on to America and for a while was the world record gelding over a mile. He took on the best Yanks at the time and consistently beat them.

Senior Member Colt djgood will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    David Goodhand
    Occupation
    trainer
    Horses
    Couple of squaregaiters
    Pride of petite best I've seen just in front of Lyell creek

Member Yearling hillbillydeluxe will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Michael Freeman
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    now-Generals Daughter & Passaic River
    WOW There have been so may but in recent times Our Sir Vancelot, Christian Cullen, Chokin & Courage Under Fire all spring to mind & funnily enough shape our breeding industry. One of favourite though is Golden Reign. Then there is Oaxaca Lass (Hope I spelt it right) when she won the big one at Harold Park that night bought me a new car which is always memorable.

Junior Member Foal jf53th will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Jeff Smith
    Occupation
    IT
    I am more impressed with my heroes from when I was young, my favourite was Paleface Adios who I met once when about 14 (me not him). Hondo Grattan was his major opposition and also a Favourite. I am off topic as he probably isn't the best I have seen but up there.

I think he once held a world record but that could be a tale.

Also rate highly Shakamaker, Pure steel, Double Identity and as everyone is saying Cullen was pretty special. Sorry there are too many.

Senior Member 3YO Mitch will become famous soon enough Mitch's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mitch Lenaghan
    I have 3 standouts

Shakamaker
    Smokin Up
    Our Sir Vancelot

+ Reply to Thread