Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Facepalm Names - Poor Horse

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    At least that one made me laugh Kyle but the owners cannot really expect Puddin to make them money when they land him with that tag
    Anyone seen him?
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Uncle Wingnut

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I don't hate that one Rich but I can see that it is not that respectful of a noble steed - more suited as a nickname for an old labrador
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Member Gelding Sofoulis will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Adam Sofoulis
    Occupation
    Pen pusher
    Horses
    Yayas Hot Spot, Eh Ef El, Summertime Liz
    Not necessarily a "poor horse name", but may explain some poor horses who have to go around with a set of pink racing colours with a monkey silhouette on them:
    Before having an interest in any horses, a mate and I bought our first race dog. We asked a trainer to keep a look out for something already racing, inexpensive but that might give us a few good nights.
    He rang us a month later telling us he had found one, but it was just a little over our budget... when we heard its name, we had to buy him: "Monkey Spunk" (referred to in this article)...

Won his first four starts in a row for us in May 2006, and now happily retired living with us trying to avoid my 2yo running him over with his trike! Hence the Pink Monkey racing colours that Yaya and the team get lobbed with...
    monkey small.jpg

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Great story Adam. These are the stories that need to get out into the public arena - this is what will promote our industry. Everyone that sees the pink monkey colours should know this story - it makes our sport more interesting. Thanks for telling it Adam

ps How did Monkey Spunk get thrown into that article you linked ?
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Thats a great story Adam, there is nearly always a lot more below the surface than above it, so now I can see the blue dog is responsible for the monkey on the pink colours!!!

Cheers,
    Dan

Member Gelding Sofoulis will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Adam Sofoulis
    Occupation
    Pen pusher
    Horses
    Yayas Hot Spot, Eh Ef El, Summertime Liz
    Hi Kevin: there were a number of articles at the time that were about Brett Lee and his namesake greyhound - and the article started saying that if they were going to allocate names to cricketers, Monkey Spunk would be allocated to Warnie... but I can't seem to find that article online.

Danno: yeah, the pink came into it because his first win was from the 8 box!

Each of his back legs have been reconstructed as a result of two accidents (once in a race ending his racing career, and once at home, ending his cat-chasing career).

There is nothing funnier than watching people's reaction when my wife (who looks asian but is as aussie as a meat pie) is yelling out "Monkey" at our dog down the park... People just look at her / I and must think "that poor asian lady thinks a dog is a monkey"...

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Cenosilocaphobia - a great word but they spelt it wrong. Should be Cenosillicaphobia
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member 2YO doinmabest has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Fred Hastings
    Does anyone recall the pacer, for memory raced in SA back in the early to mid 90's called JACK DOFF......

Member Yearling bbd will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Colin Douglass
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    Cenosilocaphobia - a great word but they spelt it wrong. Should be Cenosillicaphobia
    Isn't there a restriction of 15 characters in a name? If so, the spelling was probably deliberate.

+ Reply to Thread