Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Why has HRA not supported a National Owners forum - Harness's Major Issues

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago

Why has HRA not supported a National Owners forum - Harness's Major Issues

One of our posters sent me an email that contained a report on the above topic

but it is really about THE MAJOR PROBLEMS IN AUSTRALIAN HARNESS RACING

It is written by Ray Chaplin, the man behind pedigree matching site Equine Excellence

At the beginning Ray apologizes for its length and suggests that if you are interested pour yourself a stiff scotch and read on - it is 25 pages long

It covers all the states and is alarming reading. It questions whether our administrators know what they are doing and asks why aren't they listening to the owners and fans.

I have contacted Ray since being sent the email and he is happy to forward it onto anyone who wants to email him at

contact@equineexcellence.biz

At the same time, you might like to ask him for his free reports on Harnessing a Dream which are about how to breed a champion. (my plug not his)

His site is
    http://www.equineexcellence.biz/

I am sure anyone who participated in our recent 'How do we make harness racing strong' thread, will find it very interesting reading.

I suggest you ask Ray for his report 'No HRA Support for National Owners Forum'

Let me know what you think people.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member 2YO jackthepunter will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Jack Dixon
    The sports stuffed kev, epecially here in vic. Because its run by people who ant qualifyed nor do they have the skills for the positions they hold. They also refuse to listen to the trainers,drivers and owners.And only ever have self interest at heart.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    The rank and file have had victories in the past Jack (read the report) and we cannot just give up. I will not go so far as to say they only have self interest at heart but might question whether they are sufficiently hungry for improvement and seeking the right advice
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    This is a must read people!!! Check your inbox folks, I've just forwarded on to most of my contacts.
    Last edited by Richard prior; 07-15-2014 at 09:19 PM.

Senior Member 2YO Njcstables will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Nathan Cahir
    Recently Hrv hired an external organisation to facilitate an Industry Research Project where invited participants were divided into 4 focus group areas and asked to contribute their thoughts on a range of issues within the industry. The 4 groups were, owners/breeders, trainers, drivers and clubs. No hrv employees were involved in the discussion groups. The results of the 4 focus groups are to be collated and form the basis of an impending industry wide survey which will in turn form the basis of hrv's new 2015 strategic plan. I was invited to be involved in the drivers group. It will be interesting to see the results when it's all said and done.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Njcstables View Post
    Recently Hrv hired an external organisation to facilitate an Industry Research Project where invited participants were divided into 4 focus group areas and asked to contribute their thoughts on a range of issues within the industry. The 4 groups were, owners/breeders, trainers, drivers and clubs. No hrv employees were involved in the discussion groups. The results of the 4 focus groups are to be collated and form the basis of an impending industry wide survey which will in turn form the basis of hrv's new 2015 strategic plan. I was invited to be involved in the drivers group. It will be interesting to see the results when it's all said and done.
    That was supposedly the groups that Andrew Kelly was printing off and showing our 'How to make Harness strong ....' thread to Nathan. Not a big betting man but I am thinking you never saw it in those groups Nathan. Not that I am saying that thread was special see below

I have been involved in many such days as you describe above (but not for harness) and seen some whizz bang facilitators but my biggest concern is that most of them were like massive brainstorming exercises which got collated into aims, goals, policies, objectives, mission statements ....... BUT rarely results

I would much prefer well researched well thought out submissions that may have taken participants (including FANS/CUSTOMERS that I see no mention of) a month or months to ponder.
    I am glad to see that you believe the above groups work to be only the basis for a survey but I would like to see some blank pages on those surveys not just choose the alternatives the CEO offers me

Be sure to get a hold of Ray Chaplin's summary of the industry Nathan
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member 2YO jackthepunter will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Jack Dixon
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    That was supposedly the groups that Andrew Kelly was printing off and showing our 'How to make Harness strong ....' thread to Nathan. Not a big betting man but I am thinking you never saw it in those groups Nathan. Not that I am saying that thread was special see below

I have been involved in many such days as you describe above (but not for harness) and seen some whizz bang facilitators but my biggest concern is that most of them were like massive brainstorming exercises which got collated into aims, goals, policies, objectives, mission statements ....... BUT rarely results

I would much prefer well researched well thought out submissions that may have taken participants (including FANS/CUSTOMERS that I see no mention of) a month or months to ponder.
    I am glad to see that you believe the above groups work to be only the basis for a survey but I would like to see some blank pages on those surveys not just choose the alternatives the CEO offers me

Be sure to get a hold of Ray Chaplin's summary of the industry Nathan
    Thats right kev, most of these things are just done so they can be ticked of a list. Then thrown in the back courner and never seen again

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Amlin will become famous soon enough Amlin's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kyle Galley
    The report is a fascinating read Kev - I know of several people locally who would also be eager to read this so I will pass it on.

Member Yearling HarnessFan will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Jeroen Nieuwenburg
    Horses
    Hokonui Ben Dartmoor Countess Jill
    I am a great supporter of the owners forum.
    Ray kindly asked me to support his development of the document.
    When it comes to serious reform, our administrators very quickly put issues into the too hard basket.

As an example, this sport needs a National administrative service centre to deal with core processes such as accounting and prizemoney distribution.
    The fact is these reforms have benefits - seriously significant benefits.

The response has been that such reforms are continually rejected due to state-wide legislative restrictions.

Sorry but it would be great if we had administrators that pushed a little harder.

Senior Member 2YO Viv Strangman will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Viv Strangman
    Having now read it, I have nothing but admiration for the man who wrote it. Compelling and a must read for anyone in harness racing

+ Reply to Thread