Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Name and shame

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    http://www.understanding-horse-nutrition.com/cobalt.htm

Cobalt (Co), one of the microminerals, is important for blood cell formation.

The microbes in your horse's digestive system, particularly the cecum and large intestine, use the Co from your horse's diet to convert it to Vitamin B12. This vitamin is then used in conjunction with iron and copper in the formation and maintenance of blood cells.

The horse will usually consume enough Co through a typical diet.

All the common feedstuffs include at least 0.05 mg/kg dry matter, if not more (legumes usually contain around 0.6 mg/kg dry matter except in deficient areas).

The requirement has been set at 0.1 mg/kg dry matter, so this is easily reached through the typical diet.

This next link suggests horses are often cobalt deficient (not what many other articles suggest however)

http://depaoloequineconcepts.wordpre...ncy-in-horses/

This last link talks about human requirements but while it tells us how much B12 we need it does not tell us how much Cobalt that is. It does however state that < 1.4mg (1400ug) of cobalt supplement will not harm one but I don't know how to relate that to 200ug/l

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/vitamin...-minerals.aspx

Cobalt is a trace element that forms part of the structure of vitamin B12, one of the B vitamins.
    Good sources of cobalt
    Cobalt is found widely in the environment. Good food sources of cobalt include:
    fish
    nuts
    green leafy vegetables, such as broccoli and spinach
    cereals, such as oats
    How much cobalt do I need?
    You should be able to get all the cobalt you need from your daily diet.
    Cobalt is a major part of the structure of vitamin B12. Therefore, if you get enough vitamin B12, you will also get enough cobalt.
    Adults need approximately 0.0015mg vitamin B12 a day.
    What happens if I take too much cobalt?
    Having high amounts of cobalt for long periods of time could affect the heart and might decrease fertility in men.
    What does the Department of Health advise?
    Having too much cobalt could be harmful. However, cobalt is currently not used in supplements in the UK and the amount we get from food is not harmful.
    Having 1.4mg or less a day of cobalt supplements is unlikely to cause any harm.

Footnote: I looked this up after reading TeeCee's post about Cobalt occuring naturally but NOW his post has gone
    Last edited by Messenger; 07-24-2014 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Footnote
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year trish will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    patricia ilsley
    Quote Originally Posted by kung fu man View Post
    By setting a threshold of 200 i believe it has become open slather, if you look at the way some horses are winning with amounts as low as 9 or so i believe until its zero its not worth racing a horse unless your trainer is prepared to use as well i just dont know if its worth racing a horse at the moment.
    Hi Warren . firstly , your earlier post was spot on . 5 years then just get rid of em . Some of them may even run out of relatives or partners to sign them over to . The penalty system is so blurred that no one really knows what the penalties are . One guy gets 6 months for multiple positive swabs , then zero time is added when yet another swab proves positive while he was out . At the same time another trainer with a 40 year clear record with regards to swabs gets 2 years for a high bi carb . One trainer gets 6 months reprieve for pleading guilty and another gets 6 months reprieve for pleading not guilty . This only breeds innuendo and accusations , with good reason .
    With this last post , horses can be presented on race day with levels higher than 9 due entirely to a couple of shots of Vam {a blood booster} in the days leading up to the races . Cobalt is flushed from the horses body very quickly . It only has a detection period of around 4 hours . Its very difficult to catch people using it and the effects of it last a lot longer . That list certainly tells us a lot .The level of 200 is 4 times the standard deviation above the normal level . Very depressing . I do agree with the basis of your post . You are dead set spot on . It isn't worth racing because ,even if you have the best horse , you have absolutely no hope whatsoever with an honest trainer . They'll only ever clean this game up if they decide to get tough and treat everyone the same .

Senior Member 3YO Race For Fun will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Toni Dartson
    This is a very sad time for harness racing. The problem of drugs in the sport is a cancer that is killing the game on more than the racing level, horses run times that anyone who has worked horses knows that you can not improve horses best mile rate by 4 or 5 seconds in 2 or 3 weeks, DOES NOT HAPPEN. People pay large sums of money for yearlings out of mares with these mile rates (or one foal out of this mare) and wonder why the foal they paid good money for doesn't have enough speed. The wrong mares get good names while mares that have raced "honest" and don't have the faster mile rates are passed over.

Very sad, very very wrong.
    Last edited by Race For Fun; 07-25-2014 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Typing

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year teecee has a spectacular aura about teecee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tony Cahill
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    http://www.understanding-horse-nutrition.com/cobalt.htm

Cobalt (Co), one of the microminerals, is important for blood cell formation.

The microbes in your horse's digestive system, particularly the cecum and large intestine, use the Co from your horse's diet to convert it to Vitamin B12. This vitamin is then used in conjunction with iron and copper in the formation and maintenance of blood cells.

The horse will usually consume enough Co through a typical diet.

All the common feedstuffs include at least 0.05 mg/kg dry matter, if not more (legumes usually contain around 0.6 mg/kg dry matter except in deficient areas).

The requirement has been set at 0.1 mg/kg dry matter, so this is easily reached through the typical diet.

This next link suggests horses are often cobalt deficient (not what many other articles suggest however)

http://depaoloequineconcepts.wordpre...ncy-in-horses/

This last link talks about human requirements but while it tells us how much B12 we need it does not tell us how much Cobalt that is. It does however state that < 1.4mg (1400ug) of cobalt supplement will not harm one but I don't know how to relate that to 200ug/l

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/vitamin...-minerals.aspx

Cobalt is a trace element that forms part of the structure of vitamin B12, one of the B vitamins.
    Good sources of cobalt
    Cobalt is found widely in the environment. Good food sources of cobalt include:
    fish
    nuts
    green leafy vegetables, such as broccoli and spinach
    cereals, such as oats
    How much cobalt do I need?
    You should be able to get all the cobalt you need from your daily diet.
    Cobalt is a major part of the structure of vitamin B12. Therefore, if you get enough vitamin B12, you will also get enough cobalt.
    Adults need approximately 0.0015mg vitamin B12 a day.
    What happens if I take too much cobalt?
    Having high amounts of cobalt for long periods of time could affect the heart and might decrease fertility in men.
    What does the Department of Health advise?
    Having too much cobalt could be harmful. However, cobalt is currently not used in supplements in the UK and the amount we get from food is not harmful.
    Having 1.4mg or less a day of cobalt supplements is unlikely to cause any harm.

Footnote: I looked this up after reading TeeCee's post about Cobalt occuring naturally but NOW his post has gone

Hi Kev...
    Thanks for that. Basically said what had intended.
    Put some factual balance into the discussion. Without it it is difficult to see where the discussion can be further progressed past what has already been said here and in previous threads on drugs use.
    thanks again.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I am still hoping we will get more info about Cobalt Chloride.
    I did not want to hijack the new 'Next People's Favourite Horse' thread but I want answers like why was Beautide's reading from the Len Smith five times more than the median on that test results list (once available from HRNSW). I know I am being a real stickler Ash but I am still waiting to find out if a horse can naturally have a Cobalt reading of 43ug/L. Sure it is well within in the limit but if the median is somewhere below 10 I want to know if even 43 is a help. If this is a reading that normal feed can produce and it is proven to be of no benefit to performance then I am happy to see a horse from this stable as the next people's horse. Like I said, I am being super tough but that test results list threw up more questions than answers in my mind. Apologies if this offends the Rattray's but I am only after the facts and I stress once again that 43 ug/L is well within the 200 limit set.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year teecee has a spectacular aura about teecee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tony Cahill

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I had some reservations about resurrecting this thread but it was worth it for that excellent reply article - thanks Tony

ps Hey Tony, maybe you could put a link to that article in the Cobalt Chloride thread too
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist

Question

Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    Hi Warren . firstly , your earlier post was spot on . 5 years then just get rid of em . Some of them may even run out of relatives or partners to sign them over to . The penalty system is so blurred that no one really knows what the penalties are . One guy gets 6 months for multiple positive swabs , then zero time is added when yet another swab proves positive while he was out . At the same time another trainer with a 40 year clear record with regards to swabs gets 2 years for a high bi carb . One trainer gets 6 months reprieve for pleading guilty and another gets 6 months reprieve for pleading not guilty . This only breeds innuendo and accusations , with good reason .
    With this last post , horses can be presented on race day with levels higher than 9 due entirely to a couple of shots of Vam {a blood booster} in the days leading up to the races . Cobalt is flushed from the horses body very quickly . It only has a detection period of around 4 hours . Its very difficult to catch people using it and the effects of it last a lot longer . That list certainly tells us a lot .The level of 200 is 4 times the standard deviation above the normal level . Very depressing . I do agree with the basis of your post . You are dead set spot on . It isn't worth racing because ,even if you have the best horse , you have absolutely no hope whatsoever with an honest trainer . They'll only ever clean this game up if they decide to get tough and treat everyone the same .
    VVV-Trish...does that 'Hanging Judge' approach to punishment extend to Colin and Neil? I know both of them, good blokes, and I very much doubt either did anything wrong. The reason I ask is the 'shoot 'em all and let God sort it out' routine would see them as collateral damage.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year trish will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    patricia ilsley
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple V View Post
    VVV-Trish...does that 'Hanging Judge' approach to punishment extend to Colin and Neil? I know both of them, good blokes, and I very much doubt either did anything wrong. The reason I ask is the 'shoot 'em all and let God sort it out' routine would see them as collateral damage.

OH MY GOD I DON'T THINK COLIN HAS A POSITIVE HAS HE JAIMIE?????????????
    And I think that Neil's hasn't been heard yet HAS IT JAIMIE???????????
    GEEZE I wouldn't be naming innocent people on this name & shame thread Jaimie.
    Last edited by trish; 09-17-2014 at 09:50 PM.

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Trish and Triple, Not taking sides but it's definitley innocent until proven otherwise, It's a real blight on the industry and anyone who has a case to answer should do just that and do their best to clear their name and if they are found guilty, Cop it on the chin.

+ Reply to Thread