Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Interdominion

Member Filly Boydy will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Adam Boyd

Interdominion 2016 and beyond

Does anyone have an opinion on the Interdominion discussions on In the Gig last night?

Am I just being cynical? As my summary of the interview is HRA do not care what the format or location is as long as you bring the biggest cheque book.

The job of HRA is to determine what event will be held not say we will consider any proposal put forward. Could you imagine a major corporation being run in the way? HRA please provide some leadership.

I am saddened by the way the Interdom has gone and appears to be going and hopefully some form of tradition can be reinstalled to the event.

Senior Member 4YO p plater will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    bailey martin
    quote"Am I just being cynical? As my summary of the interview is HRA do not care what the format or location is as long as you bring the biggest cheque book."

No direction at all equals no idea......just dollars.

The old format wins hands down from this new FFA format. Give me the toughest over a 4 race series. No more wild cards etc. score the points in the heats and enjoy your right to be in the final.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    You men are making too much sense
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Member Filly Boydy will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Adam Boyd
    According to the interview last night apparently HRA are expecting 5 tenders.

I work in the construction industry and would love to see the individual states consider a joint venture. No one wants to see three years in the same location.

Three states/countries(NZ - no offence) are surely stronger than one state. Support each other and people will travel for the series. Go traditional and be forever successful.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Maorisidol has a spectacular aura about Maorisidol's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ash Singh
    Quote Originally Posted by p plater View Post
    quote"Am I just being cynical? As my summary of the interview is HRA do not care what the format or location is as long as you bring the biggest cheque book."

No direction at all equals no idea......just dollars.

The old format wins hands down from this new FFA format. Give me the toughest over a 4 race series. No more wild cards etc. score the points in the heats and enjoy your right to be in the final.
    "FFA format"! So true there Bailey.
    I remember growing up and getting excited over the ID Carnival listening to the heats of Australias best battling it out over the sprint, middle and long distance heats.
    The thought of the ID coming to Melbourne was huge, it only happened every few years so you HAD to be there. Attended my first ID at age 5 in 1970 with local Alfy Simons winning with Bold David (no i really don't remember much at age 5!) But we travelled to Globe Derby to see 100-1 shot Carclew lead all the way in '76 and i certainly remember my favourite Steelo getting rolled that night. Shortly after in "78 the show lands back in Melbourne at the Valley and the stars of the show were there for all to see, Jacko was down from Temora, Don't Retreat, Dimante Hanover, Royal Gaze and of course B Gath and winner Markovina flying home down the outside!
    And last year an ID heat was in Melbourne, but couldn't even get interested in going to see the FFA disguised as a supposed ID!
    Sure the final was a great race but the joke of a heat in NZ was a waste even running, the favourite for the Qld heat a 100-1 shot in the final, another FFA in Perth, all boring and predictable essentially to who will get to Menangle for the final. Thats not a carnival, thats not an event, thats not an show rolling into town, thats not an ID!.
    At worst run 2 invited heats one weekend with the best 20 horses and run the final 7 days later.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Great post Ash but do not compromise - shove that last line. Decision makers this is the passion you have to strive for - for the future of the code
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Well said Ash but I would delete your last paragraph. The Interdom is about tradition and I would go with the old format, A Sprint, Middle distance and a Staying race and also make it a points scoring affair with no wild cards or freebies etc. It would be great if it was a dual or tri-state affair. I would scratch the Heat in NZ and make the horses come to Australia and compete in the heats here with no restrictions, Compete in any heat in which ever state or states they are run in. I would also have no problems if the series was run in NZ, The heats could be run on both islands and if this was the case, It would be the same for the Australian horses, They would have to travel to NZ to compete. It's a bit like Field of Dreams, Build it and they will come.

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    That was a great post Ash, but like others I would delete the last line.However you certainly captured what an ID actually IS, and the current format is certainly NOT that.

I truly wonder what the NSWHRC and HRA have set done as indicators for success or otherwise for not only the format being run at Menangle, but the current "tender" process and subsequent allocation.

I can't see how the ID being run three years in a row at the one venue is good for the game, either in the short term or the longer term. To me that seems like very similar thinking to taking the licence off tracks and centralising to one venue in each area which was foisted on us a few years ago and has since proven to have a negative impact on participation.

I'm all for trying new ways of doing things for the betterment of the game as a whole, but some things like this current format and the wholly negative feedback from industry participants ( I say wholly because I can't remember a single participant saying it's a good idea) should be an indicator that it's a mistake not to be repeated.

Cheers,
    Dan

Senior Member 4YO p plater will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    bailey martin
    Along with the format of the Interdominion, maybe we should discuss the best location to hold a series. If the main concern is patron numbers to boost income, you may wish to question the granting of a 3 year stint in one location. Visitors to any venue are unlikely to go 3 years in a row as a holiday destination imo.
    Then you question attractions to bring the crowd, Menangle and Melton are 50 km from the main city. Albion Park is not suitable because of the on course ammenities (at this stage) but is closer to Brisbane. WA has the ideal location but imo would need to increase the track size to a 1000m at least to suit. NZ both North and South Islands have appeal but the Aussie content could be low due to costs, as against NZer's coming to Aust.
    To me a carnival over 2 weeks and at a couple of venues in a State to allow visitors to see parts of Aust they would not normally see plus encourage country participation which is much needed. Use the banner "The Interdominion is coming to Town" then the final at the main track.
    We need more ideas to help the HRA management, who have none.

Senior Member 3YO Mitch will become famous soon enough Mitch's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mitch Lenaghan
    I haven't been around for as long as some others on this site so the tradition of the ID doesn't go as deep for me. Still, I did love it as a kid/teenager growing up.

I do however think some may be overlooking a pretty important point. That point is that the ID carnival in its traditional format has become unprofitable for race clubs to host. So whilst most harness fans love it, the big events need to appeal to a broader audience to generate the additional investment to make them feasible.

So based on this 1 of 2 things has to happen; 1. Continue with the traditional format but totally re-invent how it is marketed and how it is leveraged to generate interest to the non everyday harness people. 2. Refine the format and support it with a robust marketing & attraction plan that delivers a superior outcome to the current.

I think NSW has grand final day pretty close to right but the process of getting to grand final day (i.e. the heats round) still needs quite of a bit of work in my opinion.

+ Reply to Thread