Thread: Interdominion

Member Gelding Sofoulis will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Adam Sofoulis
    Occupation
    Pen pusher
    Horses
    Yayas Hot Spot, Eh Ef El, Summertime Liz
    I love Gloucester Park, it is a very special place in Perth (I even had photos taken outside the gates on my wedding day!) but I have a massive conflict:

- I love being close to the action at GP, hearing the pounding of the track as the horses go past the finishing post on lap 1, 2 and 3 is fantastic - you feel part of it and it definitely is a differentiator.
    BUT
    - As an owner of a horse or two, I feel at the mercy of the barrier gods given the times being run and the amount of benefit certain draws present (unless I have the wonder horse: Quinny!)
    and therefore, prefer my horses racing on the bigger tracks.

So, there is a catch-22
    - Improve the track and make it like Menangle = owners are going to be happier to pay for horses to come over from NZ and east coast // but it reduces the spectacle...
    OR
    - Keep the track as it is = quality of fields may be lower but the spectacle is retained.

Maybe there is a middle ground - but I don't know what it is...

Junior Member Weanling nowuseeme will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    michael spadaccini spadaccini
    Occupation
    bricklayer

interdominion

nothing wrong with the track down here at bunbury could do well to hold a set of heats

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Sofoulis View Post
    I love Gloucester Park, it is a very special place in Perth (I even had photos taken outside the gates on my wedding day!) but I have a massive conflict:

- I love being close to the action at GP, hearing the pounding of the track as the horses go past the finishing post on lap 1, 2 and 3 is fantastic - you feel part of it and it definitely is a differentiator.
    BUT
    - As an owner of a horse or two, I feel at the mercy of the barrier gods given the times being run and the amount of benefit certain draws present (unless I have the wonder horse: Quinny!)
    and therefore, prefer my horses racing on the bigger tracks.

So, there is a catch-22
    - Improve the track and make it like Menangle = owners are going to be happier to pay for horses to come over from NZ and east coast // but it reduces the spectacle...
    OR
    - Keep the track as it is = quality of fields may be lower but the spectacle is retained.

Maybe there is a middle ground - but I don't know what it is...
    I must say I am anti big tracks because I want 'trotting not racing', I wonder if a 7 horse all front final is middle ground Adam
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Mighty Atom will become famous soon enough Mighty Atom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rod Reeves
    Occupation
    retired
    Quote Originally Posted by brent_L View Post
    Just went back and had a look at the quality of the fields the last time the ID was in Perth......YUCK! And that was still with a million $ final. Sure, it may be more $$ this time round but who's to say the quality improves??
    I don't have the answers to returning the ID to its glory days, but I'm not sure locking in a deal for 3 years with Perth where there's the possibility we watch 2nd rate FFA horses go round is the right track to go down.......or am I being 'glass half empty' again??
    Yeah it was really boring watching those second rate FFA horses go around even though a couple of them managed to finish second and third in the final.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Mighty Atom will become famous soon enough Mighty Atom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rod Reeves
    Occupation
    retired
    The Queensland carnival has attracted 4 quality horses and Chilli Palmer is not racing in their two big events so it's virtually three for the paltry sum of $160,000 the rest of the Queensland lineup wouldn't get a look in in WA FFA's i.e. Rakarebel. And I'm afraid with the exception of Avonnova and perhaps Forever Gold the rest of them are just going to be a hinderance to ITMQ with none of them capable of giving Quinny a lead up if the pace is fast.

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Agree Rod and we might see a changing of the guard before the Interdom goes to WA, David Hercules is certainly on the up and a few of the big boys are getting long in the tooth. 2016 is still a fair way off and it's anyone's guess which horses will still be running around and which horses will progress to open class racing. There's lots of nice 3yr old & 4yr old horses running around at the moment and I'm really looking forward to the WA Interdom, The big thing for me would be the timing, It can be extremely hot over in the west and maybe move in forward to late March or early April and as Danno and somebody else mentioned, Share the heats around at the different venues.

Real Name
    Rod Reeves
    Occupation
    retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard prior View Post
    Agree Rod and we might see a changing of the guard before the Interdom goes to WA, David Hercules is certainly on the up and a few of the big boys are getting long in the tooth. 2016 is still a fair way off and it's anyone's guess which horses will still be running around and which horses will progress to open class racing. There's lots of nice 3yr old & 4yr old horses running around at the moment and I'm really looking forward to the WA Interdom, The big thing for me would be the timing, It can be extremely hot over in the west and maybe move in forward to late March or early April and as Danno and somebody else mentioned, Share the heats around at the different venues.
    Hi Rich, Good idea moving to late March or April and share the heats around mainly Pinjarra with a thousand metre track and Bunbury ( 960 metres) these being the two best surfaces although for a lot of trainers coming to W.A. the 177 k's or 2 hours drive would be a hell of a trip to go to the races.

Senior Member Colt Big K will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Kevin Spurr
    Horses
    Bonavista Bay, Shoobees Place
    Yea Rod,no chance of a 1000mt track but included in the bid is a complete upgrade of the existing track.Also a sprint lane is a high probability though not garaunteed after a recent survey indicated punters wanted one,A few of the RWWA Exec's turn their nose up at it but its something thats on the table after the overwhelming response from punters.Also it was suggested that RWWA want to get on board with the government with tourism and promotion..also possibly tied in with it is a the proposal of a big gallops and dog race around the same time but might be only hear'say at the moment.Be fantastic if WA gets it anyway.

Senior Member Colt Big K will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Kevin Spurr
    Horses
    Bonavista Bay, Shoobees Place
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Atom View Post
    Hi Rich, Good idea moving to late March or April and share the heats around mainly Pinjarra with a thousand metre track and Bunbury ( 960 metres) these being the two best surfaces although for a lot of trainers coming to W.A. the 177 k's or 2 hours drive would be a hell of a trip to go to the races.
    Hey Rod,I mentioned a bit on the other thread.But from what I understand so far is that if WA get the Inter's that they(RWWA) a keen to run a set of heats at Pinjarra for the 1st series and also put lighting at that track.If all goes well that they would do the same at Bunbury the following year..come from some round the table discussions so nothing set in concrete.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    TC any chance of merging this into the Interdom thread
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread