Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Coloured Horses

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago

Coloured Horses

I saw this well named horse at Horsham on Wednesday and it would catch anyone's eye as its neck looks like that of an Appaloosa. I want to study how colouring is determined one day but for now does anyone have any idea how this breeding may have resulted in such interesting markings
    http://www.harness.org.au/ausbreed/r...orse_id=575934
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Messenger; 07-18-2014 at 03:26 PM.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Member Gelding broco will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    monique parsons
    Occupation
    trainer/driver
    Horses
    cullens moose, somart, ladybird
    Nothing to do with its breeding it is just a somatic mutation (a one off and wont pass on to progeny) very flash, we had a die laughing x ollies magic filly with one that went from the inside of her knee round to her elbow and then completely covered her girth and right up to her wither, you often see them in grey arabs and they are refered to as a "bloody shoulder" as its exactly what it looks like on them red hairs on a white/grey coat and on a bay they are refered to as a "reverse bloody shoulder" as they are white hairs on a dark coat.
    I prefer the pintos and dominant whites at least their colour can be passed onto their progeny but sadly rarely as well bred as this one, except in the case of the dominant white courage and art major colts but they are one in a million

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Thank you Monique - very interesting. For any that would like to see dozens of examples of somatic mutation

http://www.pinterest.com/andalusians...atic-mutation/
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    monique parsons
    Occupation
    trainer/driver
    Horses
    Im a wee bit nutty when it comes to colour genetics lol, love anything out of the ordinary but trying to breed well bred funky colours that can run is the big challenge

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by broco View Post
    Im a wee bit nutty when it comes to colour genetics lol, love anything out of the ordinary but trying to breed well bred funky colours that can run is the big challenge
    Same here Monique - I have actually spent most of the afternoon researching all of Miss M J Eden's in NZ. Pretending I will buy a skewbald to send to A Bit Of Bling.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    Thank you Monique - very interesting. For any that would like to see dozens of examples of somatic mutation

http://www.pinterest.com/andalusians...atic-mutation/
    Thanks very much for that Kev, Some real handsome horses amongst those, I promised my sister that I would buy her a coloured horse when she's ready and i think that I will be contacting Ms Parsons who also has a Bettor's filly that I would be quite interested in, But I would have to win the Lottery for that one lol.

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Quote Originally Posted by broco View Post
    Would Apache Cat come into that category Monique??? He had a lot more white across his head than you would normally see. I watched a short Doco on Channel 9 about him and was absolutely gobsmacked when I saw him without blinkers.

Real Name
    monique parsons
    Occupation
    trainer/driver
    Horses
    Have a mach three and a christian cullen in foal to A bit of bling, hes a super big type for a skew, finding well conformed coloureds of good size is as hard as finding a fast one have sold most of mine only 3 left, just keeping the best few to breed to the best stallions and one nice yearling bgs folly colt that may get to keep his manly bits if he shapes up, the market for them is non existent unless you want to tell bull and dream up times they couldnt run down a well just to sell them, but I can have my bit of fun with them myself i dont have myself on with their ability though, the ladybird filly can run but its looney like her mum.
    Apache cat is either just loud sabino or he may be a splash white but splash is not always so obvious in the thoroughbreds, I have his bay standardbred equivalent in a mare named "secretive lombo" she used to look awesome when racing, a case of saw her, had to have her, got her.

That bettors girl is going to breed me my first menangle winner as a breeder/owner/trainer/driver lol pipe dream but hey whats racing without dreamers haha

Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Thanks Monique, I just find a real attraction to the coloured horses. Have no doubt that the Bettor's will get you your Menangle winner and several more, Super family.

Real Name
    monique parsons
    Occupation
    trainer/driver
    Horses
    I always say at least if they are not much good they still look great, sad reality it costs the same to feed a good one as it does a slow one.
    I sure hope your right about the bettors

+ Reply to Thread