Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Programming

Junior Member Weanling dmac43 will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Dannie McKinnon

Programming

Not many 4yo+ Co's programmed in the last 5 weeks of the season. Expect to see lots of short price 3yo's winning C0's in this period. Doesn't help the winless 4yo's hoping to get their breeders bonus

24/7 - Charlton - Real Character $1.50 Win
    23/7 - Melton - Melita Bromac $1.20 Win 2nd also a 3yo
    22/7 - Terang - Hurricane Stride $1.60 Win

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Amlin will become famous soon enough Amlin's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kyle Galley
    One could ask the question at the moment - where are the horses? The last week or so have seen field sizes quite small across Victoria - a six race card last Sunday twilight and another this weekend for good measure.

Recent figures (races-acceptors). I have excluded the Maryborough carnival due to higher stakes, feature races, particular events (non-standard country meets in other words!)

Mildura 25/7 8-67
    Kilmore 24/7 8-76
    Charlton 24/7 8-81
    Melton 23/7 7-64
    Echuca 23/7 8-65
    Terang 22/7 8-67
    Warragul 21/7 7-67
    Mildura 20/7 6-54
    Bendigo 18/7 8-75
    Cobram 17/7 8-81
    Ballarat 17/7 8-72

People might be able to come up with some excuses (Redwood etc) but rather than looking at why things have dropped off short term, I am interested to hear what strategies must be/should already be in place for the longer term?

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Amlin View Post
    One could ask the question at the moment - where are the horses? The last week or so have seen field sizes quite small across Victoria - a six race card last Sunday twilight and another this weekend for good measure.

Recent figures (races-acceptors). I have excluded the Maryborough carnival due to higher stakes, feature races, particular events (non-standard country meets in other words!)

Mildura 25/7 8-67
    Kilmore 24/7 8-76
    Charlton 24/7 8-81
    Melton 23/7 7-64
    Echuca 23/7 8-65
    Terang 22/7 8-67
    Warragul 21/7 7-67
    Mildura 20/7 6-54
    Bendigo 18/7 8-75
    Cobram 17/7 8-81
    Ballarat 17/7 8-72

People might be able to come up with some excuses (Redwood etc) but rather than looking at why things have dropped off short term, I am interested to hear what strategies must be/should already be in place for the longer term?
    Off on a tangent a bit but the Riverina has always struggled for numbers in the winter months. We are well into July this season and fields are still going strong. I reckon the programming keeping weaker horses in work trying to gain that elusive win whereas in the past trainers couldn't be bothered working shit in the cold. Thats just my observations, I would be interested to know if the stats back this up.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Amlin View Post

Mildura 25/7 8-67
    Kilmore 24/7 8-76
    Charlton 24/7 8-81
    Melton 23/7 7-64
    Echuca 23/7 8-65
    Terang 22/7 8-67
    Warragul 21/7 7-67
    Mildura 20/7 6-54
    Bendigo 18/7 8-75
    Cobram 17/7 8-81
    Ballarat 17/7 8-72

Kyle you and others may be interested in another report by Ray Chaplin on Standardbred Breeding and Utilization. I am sure he would be happy to email it to you if you contact him at
    contact@equineexcellence.biz

Here is a small portion of the report:

A common decline in breeding

Country North America New Zealand Australia

Population 350,000,000 4,500,000 23,000,000

Live foals 2011 9,859 2,401 4,809

Live foals 1980 20,903 4,362 12,109

Decline (80 - 11) - 53% - 45% - 60%

Population size has been included to put into context the relative penetration of harness racing and the resultant Standardbred breeding industry in each of the jurisdictions

Comparing the number of live foals bred with size of population indicates that New Zealand is clearly the leading nation for the penetration of harness racing per capita followed by Australia

The USA/Canada population is approximately fifteen times larger than that of Australia

4,809 live foals born in Australia in 2011 would equate to approximately 72,000 live foals born in the North America in the same year (9,859 foals were born)

The Australian population is approximately five times larger than that of New Zealand

2,401 live foals born in New Zealand in 2011 would equate to approximately 12,000 live foals born in Australia in the same year (4,809 live foals were born)

The sixty per cent decline in the number of live foals bred in Australia in the period 1980 - 2011 is significantly greater than the other countries

This result can only be attributed to industry management, and currently the administrative regime of Australia’s largest state still maintain there is no issue in terms of the decline in foal numbers and the resultant effect on the racing population

As a key performance indicator reflecting the health of the sport in each jurisdiction these results indicate the perilous decline of one key pillar that supports wagering turnover and business revenue – that being the future availability of sufficient product

Apologies for the Table not copying very well
    Last edited by Messenger; 07-26-2014 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Apology
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Member Filly kung fu man will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    warren tuckwell

Programming

Interesting trial tomorrow 3 trotters one has had 1 start put in a trial with Mach Wiper and wait for it...........For a Reason!!!!

Senior Member 3YO Race For Fun will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Toni Dartson
    Would have to be a mistake you would think as there are two other trotters in another trial. Would have thought they would make a trotters trial and all Metro class pacers in together. Hope these trials weren't drawn up by the handicapper who is in charge of race fields. It's an uphill battle for the trotter in NSW.

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Race For Fun View Post
    Would have to be a mistake you would think as there are two other trotters in another trial. Would have thought they would make a trotters trial and all Metro class pacers in together. Hope these trials weren't drawn up by the handicapper who is in charge of race fields. It's an uphill battle for the trotter in NSW.
    It's a stand start trial hence the trial make up.

Senior Member 3YO Race For Fun will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Toni Dartson
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
    Yep and many a time in the country there would have been no trial for the paces as would have been told not enough horses as you can't have cup class paces in with TO class trotters. Been there done that.

Member Filly kung fu man will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    warren tuckwell
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
    Doesnt matter what the start is you dont trial a horse thats had 1 dtart or even average performers with 1.50 horses its just not done!

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by kung fu man View Post
    Doesnt matter what the start is you dont trial a horse thats had 1 dtart or even average performers with 1.50 horses its just not done!
    Yes I get that part, my post was only for RaceForFun who suggested throwing the trotters in the other trial and the pacers in the other pacing trial - those other trials being mobile start whilst this is stand start.

+ Reply to Thread