Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Miracle Mile History

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago

Harnessing a Miracle by Bob Cain

This thread will be about the history of the MM in a long build up to the next MM
    Last edited by Messenger; 07-27-2014 at 10:18 PM.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member 4YO eliteblood has a spectacular aura about eliteblood's Avatar
    Real Name
    Trevor Swan
    Horses
    Sabilize, Sushi Sushi, Golden Goddess,
    Hi Kevin,

Here is a link to a you tube replay

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUyn6TheYhA

aussiebreno
    Id say because its all in the introduction so no point rehashing it all. Theres probably actually more in the introduction about Robin Dundees than most others.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Amlin will become famous soon enough Amlin's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kyle Galley
    Not very clear but here is how the Canberra Times reported the big race the next morning.
    Attached Images

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago

The Miracle Mile History

Having now read the Introduction of Harnessing a Miracle by Bob Cain I now know all about the first MM and thought I might share a few facts in point form. Who knows maybe I will keep it going for all the MM's. (Thanks again to Brendan for pointing to the Introduction - see other thread for explanation). I know many of you know all of this and much more (please add) but we have more recent followers who may find it interesting

- The '67 MM was the first sponsored harness race in Australia
    - It was the brainchild of CEO Len Smith (now honoured with the Len Smith Mile)
    - It was held in March, a time slot to which it is to return
    - Robin Dundee collected $12,500 including $1,000 for breaking HP Tk Rec and $4k for < 2.00
    - The HP Tk Rec for a race had been held by Mineral Spring since 1956 at 2.01.2
    - The use of additional incentive prizes was to change the pattern of racing
    - Blue lights every ¼ mile that flashed after 30 secs created interest
    - The crowd of 20,287 was the biggest for the season
    - Total holdings for the night were not far short of a million
    - The splits were 28.5, 29.5, 30, 30 after a war up front resulting in a MR of 1.59
    - Robin Dundee 4/5 fav sat 5th before bursting clear to win by 25yds
    - Robert Cameron her driver carried a stopwatch
    - Robin Dundee was a 9yo mare (not 8 as stated in H.A.M)
    - The race caught America's attention and all the field bar Angelique eventually went to US
    - Robin Dundee also won a NZ Oaks, a NZ FFA, an Interdom Final, and an Auckland Cup.
    - Robin Dundee is the dam of star and sire Genghis Khan and her dam line is still strong to this day
    - Cherry Blossom, Robin Dundee's dam is also the 4th dam of super mare Blossom Lady
    - Hal Tryax, Robin Dundee's sire has full sisters Roya and Queenly McKinney crossed 3x3

Gathered principally from Harnessing a Miracle by Bob Cain
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    Having now read the Introduction of Harnessing a Miracle by Bob Cain I now know all about the first MM and thought I might share a few facts in point form. Who knows maybe I will keep it going for all the MM's. (Thanks again to Brendan for pointing to the Introduction - see other thread for explanation). I know many of you know all of this and much more (please add) but we have more recent followers who may find it interesting

- The '67 MM was the first sponsored harness race in Australia
    - It was the brainchild of CEO Len Smith (now honoured with the Len Smith Mile)
    - It was held in March, a time slot to which it is to return
    - Robin Dundee collected $12,500 including $1,000 for breaking HP Tk Rec and $4k for < 2.00
    - The HP Tk Rec for a race had been held by Mineral Spring since 1956 at 2.01.2
    - The use of additional incentive prizes was to change the pattern of racing
    - Blue lights every ¼ mile that flashed after 30 secs created interest
    - The crowd of 20,287 was the biggest for the season
    - Total holdings for the night were not far short of a million
    - The splits were 28.5, 29.5, 30, 30 after a war up front resulting in a MR of 1.59
    - Robin Dundee 4/5 fav sat 5th before bursting clear to win by 25yds
    - Robert Cameron her driver carried a stopwatch
    - Robin Dundee was a 9yo mare (not 8 as stated in H.A.M)
    - The race caught America's attention and all the field bar Angelique eventually went to US
    - Robin Dundee also won a NZ Oaks, a NZ FFA, an Interdom Final, and an Auckland Cup.
    - Robin Dundee is the dam of star and sire Genghis Khan and her dam line is still strong to this day
    - Cherry Blossom, Robin Dundee's dam is also the 4th dam of super mare Blossom Lady
    - Hal Tryax, Robin Dundee's sire has full sisters Roya and Queenly McKinney crossed 3x3

Gathered principally from Harnessing a Miracle by Bob Cain
    Kev,
    I have 2 copies of the book do you want one? sorry but I only have one copy of "another ten miracles" so you can't have that one.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    It is possible to find dozens of Inter final replays at the following site just by clicking on a decade
    http://www.harness.org.au/inter/stars.htm

HRV also has replays of their major races from the last decade
    http://www.hrv.org.au/hrv/index.cfm/...r-rolls/races/

Does anyone know if there is such a thing for MMs anywhere?
    I cannot find it on the NSW site
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Amlin will become famous soon enough Amlin's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kyle Galley
    A YouTube user named Magictoliver has posted hundreds of videos in YouTube, many to do with Harold Park and they include a lot of Miracle Mile replays

https://www.youtube.com/user/Magictoliver/videos

Or you can get 'em all here on the Menangle site - through the old Harold Park site

http://www.haroldpark.com.au/mmile_replays.html

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Kyle you are FANTASTIC - Thank you Thank you

This is where to find a replay of every MM folks

http://www.haroldpark.com.au/mmile_replays.html

Just click on the year
    Last edited by Messenger; 07-27-2014 at 11:10 PM.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    The fantastic link that Kyle provided has a menu box top right with the last alternative being Results which tells you everything you could want to know
    so I won't be boring you with any more history here. If you want to go directly to the results write up it is

http://www.haroldpark.com.au/mmile_results.html
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread