Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: c if I can spot a winner for awhile

Senior Member 2YO jackthepunter will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Jack Dixon
    probably a good idea to go and see your doctor,first thing tomorrow morning old mate,first sign of madness is talking to yourself. Even worst you started replying to yourself

Senior Member 4YO Lucky Camilla"s Lovechild will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Leigh Stollery
    Is that you Danger Mouse?

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Camilla"s Lovechild View Post
    Hahahaha! I love to hate that guy.

Senior Member 4YO brent_L will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Brent Lambert
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    You can't really tell a horses fitness off a screen James.
    I've come across this on the exchange forum in the past Kev and I've read he believes he can. His website is the same as his nickname. I'm certainly bewildered but each to their own I suppose.

aussiebreno
    Not just this guy but I've never quite understood picking on looks.

Too many rock up to the marshalling yard, without knowing the history and background of the horse or what it looked like last start. It could have look immaculate last start and ran last, so looking immaculate today doesn't really do much for it. Another horse could look plain and you look past it. But if it looked like crap last start and ran 2nd then isn't the improvement in its look the best indicator? Yet because it still only looks plain it won't be picked.
    Best example from the Riverina a few years ago. A horse called King of the Ranch was the best looking horse I have ever seen. You'd pick him every week if going on looks. There were some old horses like Master Echelon, Jack and Simon and Cool Warrior who might not have looked as good some weeks and you wouldn't have picked on looks. Some weeks Master Echelon, Jack and Simon and Cool Warrior mightn't have looked quite as good as King of the Ranch, but they looked a lot better than they usually did. Joe Blow picking on looks would have picked King of the Ranch. But knowing the horses and the improvement in their individual looks proves more useful. It only ever seems to be mentioned when one looks fat first up and trims up 2nd up.

Also, it also amazes me how some tipsters best on looks also happens to have the best form and is not always actually the best on looks. I'm not looking at Gary Harley...

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    You are absolutely right about a point of comparison Brendan, surely you have to have assessed its looks at its previous start too.
    I like to look at them in the parade ring from a breeding prospective ie are they a good type
    I remember a real favourite from many many years ago - Mount Thor, who looked very very ordinary but he was one tough horse who won some good races
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member 2YO jackthepunter will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Jack Dixon
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Camilla"s Lovechild View Post
    wtf does that Mean?

Senior Member 4YO Lucky Camilla"s Lovechild will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Leigh Stollery
    In joke. Relax!

Member Yearling 28point8 will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    James Conway
    Thanks for comments, been at it a long time now, over 54 years, ex successful trainer and now fitness is my edge in a percentage.

Harness is great to bet and watch and u have to try and identify the fitter horses or you are history, like other racing also thoroughbred, dogs etc.

The problem is with harness they do not show a lot of close ups of the horses on Sky, except NZ which has excellent coverages.

Good luck....Jim

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I cannot really have it unless you are on track Jim. You will tell me it is your edge but I think your knowledge and a lot of other factors would be going into your selections
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread