Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Standardbred Breeding and Utilization Report What is the future of our industry/sport

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago

Standardbred Breeding and Utilization Report What is the future of our industry/sport

Despite the title this does not belong in just the breeding forum.

I have continued to have contact with Ray Chaplin whom many contacted after reading the thread

Why has HRA not supported a National Owners forum to discuss major issues
    http://www.harnessracingforum.com/sh...s-major-issues

Ray has sent me another report on 'Standardbred Breeding and Utilization'.
    I find it staggering that this report was also forwarded to HRA but Ray never even received acknowledgement of receipt

I have copied some closing paragraphs from the report but for those that are interested in a good read I am sure Ray would once again be happy to email you the whole report if you contact him at
    contact@equineexcellence.biz
    and ask for his report on Standardbred Breeding and Utilization

Study Conclusions
    There is a serious and ongoing decline trend in the number of live foals being bred in the USA; Canada; New Zealand and Australia
    The underlying reason for this is a lack of demand for Standardbred yearlings as a result of a serious decline in the numbers of “high value” customers who wish to remain in or become involved in harness racing at owner and breeder level
    This situation is worsening and if left unresolved will result in the ultimate demise of the harness racing industry as a viable professional sport in these countries
    Likely Outcome
    This report suggests that the future prosperity of harness racing in North America, New Zealand and Australia is inherently linked to the ability of the industry leaders in each country to be able to significantly increase the awareness, attendance, interest and commitment to becoming involved in the sport at an owner and breeder level (“high value customers”)
    If this strategic objective cannot be achieved other initiatives related to better utilization of the foal crop, stimulus measures to increase wagering and associated revenues and new revenue streams (Racinos) will not be sufficient to halt the decline of the sport which has been evident for the past three decades
    The single most important factor the industry must address
    Harness Racing in North America, New Zealand and Australia has historically been managed from an “inward industry” perspective with industry “wants” and not customer “needs” being at the centre of executive decision making
    The most important factor the industry must immediately address is to become genuinely “customer focussed”
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member 2YO jackthepunter will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Jack Dixon
    Was this in the first report ray made or is this a new one

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    This is an earlier one (2013) and has a lot of different content Jack
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year trish will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    patricia ilsley
    I put all the above down to people cheating. We had a conversation with a high profile employee of HRNSW who said "I'm not silly/stupid I can see the writing on the wall".

Real Name
    Jack Dixon
    Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    I put all the above down to people cheating. We had a conversation with a high profile employee of HRNSW who said "I'm not silly/stupid I can see the writing on the wall".
    whos that directed at ??

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Of course there is increased entertainment competition nowadays but I do think we have not done enough to win our share by being 'customer focussed' as Ray puts it.
    What I find scary is whether anyone is listening. Ray may have alienated some of the hierarchy by listing what he sees as some monumental mistakes but for him to not even to have received acknowledgement of receiving this report is a clear indication of a person not doing their job - I do not know whether that is a secretary or the CEO
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year trish will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    patricia ilsley
    Anyone who chooses to cheat. They are ruining the industry. Hope we're not on different planets here!

Senior Member 3YO Mitch will become famous soon enough Mitch's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mitch Lenaghan
    Integrity is definitely a critical factor in the future prosperity of harness racing.

The other major conundrum that administrators face is the hobbyist element of the sport. Many say it is (hobbyist) critical to the development and fabric of the sport, but it is also a large reason why punters steer clear due to the unpredictability of investing your money on a horse trained and/or driven by a 'part timer'. I see both sides of the fence and it's something I personally find hard to balance and rationalise in my own mind. My grandfather is a hobbyist and harness racing has been a massive part of his life for 50 years, yet as someone who loves to bet I rarely bet on a harness race, except for feature meetings, due to the unpredictability of horse & driver form.

I also feel that integrity and 'hobbyists' are extricably linked in many ways as well. Not as much from a prohibited substances usage perspective but more so from a racing perspective.

If increasing awareness, attendance & interest is critical to the future prosperity of the sport and harness racing is competing for a bigger slice of the wagering pie that is dominated by other sports which are extremely professional in their nature, then I keep coming back to the role of the hobbyist vs the professional.

I know this is a controversial and emotional topic but what do others think?

Real Name
    Jack Dixon
    Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    Anyone who chooses to cheat. They are ruining the industry. Hope we're not on different planets here!
    no any thing drug related I think the the industry is completely weak and inconsistent on, so same planet 100%yes

Real Name
    Jack Dixon
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    Of course there is increased entertainment competition nowadays but I do think we have not done enough to win our share by being 'customer focussed' as Ray puts it.
    What I find scary is whether anyone is listening. Ray may have alienated some of the hierarchy by listing what he sees as some monumental mistakes but for him to not even to have received acknowledgement of receiving this report is a clear indication of a person not doing their job - I do not know whether that is a secretary or the CEO
    the reason their don't want to know about it because most of these ceo's and peoples on these boards and pig headed egomaniacs who only get their jobs because they know someone or their father does. Most IMO are unqualified, lack basic people skills and businesses management. Most of the ceo's especially the one here in Victoria, have never managed a business this size and have no time for the people in it. As far as participantion, harness racing has been as always Will be driven by Hobbyist. You can see the results in Victoria under our great ceo, what's happens when you close country tracks you alienated entire areas, as a result we know have less trainers,drivers,owners and less horse beening bread. Every action has a reaction.

+ Reply to Thread