Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Integrity is definitely a critical factor in the future prosperity of harness racing.

The other major conundrum that administrators face is the hobbyist element of the sport. Many say it is (hobbyist) critical to the development and fabric of the sport, but it is also a large reason why punters steer clear due to the unpredictability of investing your money on a horse trained and/or driven by a 'part timer'. I see both sides of the fence and it's something I personally find hard to balance and rationalise in my own mind. My grandfather is a hobbyist and harness racing has been a massive part of his life for 50 years, yet as someone who loves to bet I rarely bet on a harness race, except for feature meetings, due to the unpredictability of horse & driver form.

I also feel that integrity and 'hobbyists' are extricably linked in many ways as well. Not as much from a prohibited substances usage perspective but more so from a racing perspective.

If increasing awareness, attendance & interest is critical to the future prosperity of the sport and harness racing is competing for a bigger slice of the wagering pie that is dominated by other sports which are extremely professional in their nature, then I keep coming back to the role of the hobbyist vs the professional.

I know this is a controversial and emotional topic but what do others think?
I will try and keep 'on thread' as I fear this may be more a topic for a separate thread
If we are to be customer focussed we must listen to their concerns but if you read the report that this thread is about it addresses the fact that the customers need horses to bet on
I see owners as customers too really
Don't you think that the 'awareness, attendance & interest' that you list as critical is fostered my country towns all around the country having locals involved. Don't most of the big pros start off as small hics even in the gallopers. The next pro like Cramp or Weir can come from anywhere. I really fear we have too many eggs in the Melton and Menangle baskets because if we think centralization is the answer well they are not even Melbourne and Sydney suburbs. Do you think they are the answer Mitch?

If you read either of Ray Chaplin's reports that I have linked on this and other threads you will see it is a much bigger problem than the punting dollar. My thread from a couple of months back about how we get more of the punting $ ended up showing that (I believe) and if you read some of the post by Danno and co. I think it answers your pro v hobbyist question too Mitch