Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ABC Series Stakes

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Mighty Atom will become famous soon enough Mighty Atom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rod Reeves
    Occupation
    retired

Lightbulb abc

Always difficult to predict a two horse match race especially with two very good horses. The sectionals were a disgrace, but you drive your horse to win. Bling it on was travelling comfortably behind Alleluia and obviously Cockburn thought he could outsprint him even though they ran home in 54:8. On the replay it looks as though Bling It On was a little disappointing but as I said match races are unpredictable and as for the stewards applying a go slow penalty - not in a two horse race. I've got a bigger contention with the miserable stake money, in WA we have bigger stake money for races run at Kellerberrin some 204 kilometres from Perth. Four and a half thousand dollars for an Australasian Breeders Crown is an absolute disgrace. The Queensland winter carnival must have emptied the coffers.

Senior Member Colt Chariots will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Ray Coote

Lightbulb ABC

Rod I think you will find the stake money for the Breeders Crown series is set and paid for by HRV.

Heats in WA tomorrow have the identical stake money so unfair to pot Qld.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Chariots View Post
    Rod I think you will find the stake money for the Breeders Crown series is set and paid for by HRV.

Heats in WA tomorrow have the identical stake money so unfair to pot Qld.
    I am not sure that is right Ray as the 3yo heats being run at Kilmore on Wednesday are for $8,955
    http://www.harness.org.au/fields.cfm...&fromstate=vic
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member 2YO jackthepunter will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Jack Dixon
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    I am not sure that is right Ray as the 3yo heats being run at Kilmore on Wednesday are for $8,955
    http://www.harness.org.au/fields.cfm...&fromstate=vic
    I might be wrong kev but I think the prize money has something to do with the number of horses that run in a heat.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by jackthepunter View Post
    I might be wrong kev but I think the prize money has something to do with the number of horses that run in a heat.
    But if field size mattered how would you advertise the race to attract the field? The Race 4 heat in WA tomorrow has 8 runners - the same as the Race 5 heat at Kilmore on Wed Jack but WA is for half the prizemoney
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcyone View Post
    HRV provide base prizemoney to each state to conduct each Heat. Some states add their own money to that base funding, others do not. This is why there is a discrepancy in prizemoney for each Heat.
    So Rod was right - pretty lame effort by Qld (and WA)
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Mighty Atom will become famous soon enough Mighty Atom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rod Reeves
    Occupation
    retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    So Rod was right - pretty lame effort by Qld (and WA)
    Thanks for the back up Kev. I get it right occasionally even if I don't realise it.

Real Name
    Ray Coote
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Atom View Post
    Thanks for the back up Kev. I get it right occasionally even if I don't realise it.
    Why would WA or Qld top up stakes for these races when it makes no difference to starter numbers and there would be no return from betting turnover?

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Chariots View Post
    Why would WA or Qld top up stakes for these races when it makes no difference to starter numbers and there would be no return from betting turnover?
    Did they know how many nominations they would get even before advertising the races?
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Ray Coote
    I would assume that each state would have an idea of the number of eligible horses racing in their state but would have no idea until nominations as to how many are actually available to compete. It stands to reason that Vic and NSW would have the bulk of available runners.

WA actually ran a 12 race programme to cater for the ABC heats and I also assume that this was done so betting turnover did not suffer and normal stake money levels were maintained.

+ Reply to Thread