Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Border Hopping - Which State is the Stronger

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago

Border Hopping - Which State is the Stronger

With Bettor Sweet coming to Melton to notch his M0 after several tries at Menangle - does this mean that Melton is seen as an easier option. Otherwise why would you settle for a winners cheque that is $4,402 less (Melton $10,598 - Menangle $15,000)
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member 4YO Smoken will become famous soon enough Smoken's Avatar
    Real Name
    Evangelos Paps
    That's an interesting question..

Senior Member Colt djgood will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    David Goodhand
    Occupation
    trainer
    Horses
    Couple of squaregaiters
    I think racing in Victoria is harder the drivers are more pro active in making moves during races ensuring a steadier tempo during races while racing in NSW is more one dimensional someone goes to front gets easy qtr then sprints home and a horse like bettor sweet benefited from the tempo and race pattern at Melton than the one he usually gets at menangle

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I know I am being lazy David but only looking at Melton and Menangle for this week, Victoria seems to be just as leader dominated and NSW does not seem to have too many cheap Q's
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Colt djgood will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    David Goodhand
    Occupation
    trainer
    Horses
    Couple of squaregaiters
    2nd qtr at menangle in around 30 seconds for most races one in 31 that's pedestrian for a track like menangle and the class of horses

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I suppose what I am getting at David is that I am not seeing any flash first halves at Melton either and the point of my OP was whether at least one stable saw Melton as an easier M0 option
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member 4YO eliteblood has a spectacular aura about eliteblood's Avatar
    Real Name
    Trevor Swan
    Horses
    Sabilize, Sushi Sushi, Golden Goddess,
    The answer would probably be revealed by looking at how often horses from Vic are conducting raids on Menangle and vice versa.
    I don't follow the racing closely enough to have an opinion.

Member Yearling Frano1982 will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Adam Francis
    Occupation
    Pastrycook
    Horses
    Sun Samurai Teasing Dolly Dagger Open
    The $1.30 favourite and subsequent winner of the M0 at Menangle on Saturday night beat Bettor Sweet 51.1 meters a month or so ago???
    I'm tipping that's got alot to do with it!!!

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by eliteblood View Post
    The answer would probably be revealed by looking at how often horses from Vic are conducting raids on Menangle and vice versa.
    I don't follow the racing closely enough to have an opinion.
    I reckon that should give the answer Trevor but I think it is complicated by the huge difference in M0 prizemoney but maybe that complication gives us the answer.
    You would think that many Vic owner/trainers would be lured by the extra $4k+ at Menangle but I don't think they have been because Menangle is tougher to win. Then again how much of the $4k+ gets eaten up border hopping
    I don't whether a lack of NSW horses heading South is an indication of Vic being just as tough or that after expenses a win is going to be $5k skinnier than a NSW M0 win
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member 4YO brent_L will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Brent Lambert
    Not sure if it plays a role at all, but horses having their first start at Menangle have an abismal record.

+ Reply to Thread