Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Gary Hall Snr

Senior Member 4YO Smoken will become famous soon enough Smoken's Avatar
    Real Name
    Evangelos Paps
    Hope you feel better Kev, & enjoy the nice weather this week!

Senior Member 2YO Viv Strangman will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Viv Strangman
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    Look Brendan I want to stop but if you cannot see the difference between a horse having had two 2yo starts and hitting its straps and a horse having had 3 seasons of racing then hitting its straps with a now 'supposed' 33 collects in a season, then we have very different definitions of 'clear parallels'. I only took exception with the story as being a bit too much of a yarn and only mentioned the Sofoulis story as a feelgood story - no mention of Adam's horses just his colours. The horses comparison is all yours Brendan and I replied to your comparison to one particular horse as being ridiculous so you have another shot by throwing in a few others. I was being contrary - if you think I was aiming to spread hate you should have alerted the mods and it should have been deleted. Whatever it was possibly misjudged criticism of an article on a slow news day. Fini
    I am surprised at some of the comments here.Take the comments with regards to Zakara at home.
    Does that kind of thing happen. Absolutely. Anyone who knows the Sundon story when as a yearling out for education he monstered a couple of well performed older stablemates to the shock of everybody involved would know that it does happen. I can quote you another string of similar stories if you like.
    Personally I think you owe Gary Hall an apology for the comments regarding Zakara.
    Anyone who has been involved in harness racing would know that incidents like he described happen.
    I am all for holding people to account when spin is involved but in this case to describe it as spin is nonsense.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Viv Strangman View Post
    I am surprised at some of the comments here.Take the comments with regards to Zakara at home.
    Does that kind of thing happen. Absolutely. Anyone who knows the Sundon story when as a yearling out for education he monstered a couple of well performed older stablemates to the shock of everybody involved would know that it does happen. I can quote you another string of similar stories if you like.
    Personally I think you owe Gary Hall an apology for the comments regarding Zakara.
    Anyone who has been involved in harness racing would know that incidents like he described happen.
    I am all for holding people to account when spin is involved but in this case to describe it as spin is nonsense.
    Taken on board Viv, not being a horseman, if you tell me that this can happen then I have another reason to marvel at Harness Racing

I unreservedly apologize to Gary Hall Snr for suggesting the article was spin
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member 4YO brent_L will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Brent Lambert
    What a precious world we live in! I just re-read your original post Kev and IMO u have nothing to apologise for (u asked if u were perhaps wrong and u were so told). Granted, it's not something I would have penned, but each to their own......free speech people. If your recent research was in fact correct, then the 22 placings was in fact a 'spin'!!

Junior Member Foal Gilgamesh will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Paul Facius
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    I knew I was being contrary Ray but I did not feel in the mood for bullshit.
    I asked for WA posters to set me straight and possibly you have except can anyone confirm some of the info in the story
    Researching a little myself, I now find HRA listing Maru Adios as having only ever won 12 and placed 11 in his career so was the 11 wins and 22 places in one season bull?
    Can anyone confirm that the day Zakara beat the Gp1 ers they expected him to be tailed off

I dont believe I made any comment about the Hall's success, I know next to nothing about the Halls as I have never followed WA. I am an ITMQ East coast fan. It was not meant to be a tall poppy attack - just a comment about the verity of the article.

You are right that we should not be turning positives into negatives and as I am not feeling particularly positive at present I will commit to posting only positive posts until I am sure I am being fair and reasonable.

“I put young Travis Gardiner on Zakara and asked him to sit last with him and if he couldn’t keep up not to knock the horse around.
    “Turning for home Love Of Glory was tackling Almagest and along came Zakara with Travis just sitting on him and he went straight past them. It was a shock for us but an even bigger shock for Travis as he never got behind the horse again.”
    Hall subsequently took Zakara to Wagin for his debut, where he sat five-wide throughout and won easily despite the horse nearly ending up on the outside fence in the straight as he used to bore out.

The comments are regarding track work fella as is indicated by the highlighted section. I've spent a bit of time in a harness stable, I can certainly tell you there are times when there aren't a lot of horses in the stable and people are looking for something to do, particularly when things aren't going well! Boys were probably getting paid peanuts.

You do seem a little grumpy, It happens.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilgamesh View Post
    “I put young Travis Gardiner on Zakara and asked him to sit last with him and if he couldn’t keep up not to knock the horse around.
    “Turning for home Love Of Glory was tackling Almagest and along came Zakara with Travis just sitting on him and he went straight past them. It was a shock for us but an even bigger shock for Travis as he never got behind the horse again.”
    Hall subsequently took Zakara to Wagin for his debut, where he sat five-wide throughout and won easily despite the horse nearly ending up on the outside fence in the straight as he used to bore out.

The comments are regarding track work fella as is indicated by the highlighted section. I've spent a bit of time in a harness stable, I can certainly tell you there are times when there aren't a lot of horses in the stable and people are looking for something to do, particularly when things aren't going well! Boys were probably getting paid peanuts.

You do seem a little grumpy, It happens.
    I don't think I am normally. Thanks for pointing out that my comprehension is even off LOL. I was imagining it was a trial
    I can only improve
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Colt Chariots will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Ray Coote
    the following response from the author when I questioned the veracity of his story.

"They can question it all they want, the info came directly from G Hall himself and once he mentioned the horse I could recall it winning some races here around about that time.

I then cross checked it on the harness website which only listed one run as a 2yo back in Dec 1980 at Mildura and he said the horse originally came from the east so that makes sense.

I can only hazard a guess that the stakesmoney figure listed on the website is incorrect which wouldn't be the first time that has occurred with records that are that old as I would think Hally in the position he was in would well and truly accurately recall how much the horse banked for them at the time.

I am also far more inclined to believe him than a website which listed only one run for the horse as a 2yo and makes zero mention of its entire WA career.

Hally also said the same thing during the feature interview Wes conducted with him on Racing Radio last January I think it was as it doesn't say on the tape when it was conducted when he was on for about 20-25 minutes which I heard at the time and later got a copy of the tape through Wes after Glen Quartermaine suggested I do a story for them.

I then used that as part of my research for the article and it was that interview which gave me the idea for the story. (So G Hall has twice confirmed that information once publicly live on air and secondly privately to myself)

Hally called me on Saturday night as he soon as he saw the paper and told me it was a fantastic story and that it was nice for a change to see that everything he said to a journo was accurately reported as he said he's become used to constantly being misquoted, it was nice of him to call me as he didn't have to do that and its always good to get feedback from the people involved in your story.

Anyway that's beside the point but I don't know how unless you have the paper records themselves (if they still even exist which they may somewhere but in the old days before the internet etc you used to go into the registrar's office at GP and check things by hand but clearly you can't do that anymore) which I don't as to how you can check any further.

I always check to ascertain that my facts and the information that I put out are correct which is more than what can be said for virtually any of the so called racing journalists at the west and other major papers around the country including the herald sun etc, etc.

If they've got proof that I've put out anything that is incorrect tell them to contact me rather than just shoot off their mouths because as far I'm concerned unless I see definitive proof that proves different they're full of it and are grandstanding for the sake of it."

I am not offering an opinion merely relaying the author's comments.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Chariots View Post
    I always check to ascertain that my facts and the information that I put out are correct which is more than what can be said for virtually any of the so called racing journalists at the west and other major papers around the country including the herald sun etc, etc.

If they've got proof that I've put out anything that is incorrect tell them to contact me rather than just shoot off their mouths because as far I'm concerned unless I see definitive proof that proves different they're full of it and are grandstanding for the sake of it."

I am not offering an opinion merely relaying the author's comments.
    Thanks Ray.
    Nobody seems to be particularly sure of the facts and I have come to see that they are not that important and I apologize if I offended the author
    As for shooting my mouth off and grandstanding I think I have been out-grandstanded

I will tell you some facts 'behind my thread'
    This is a forum for people to throw around opinions and engage with like-interested people and I try to keep it ticking over because I felt it was stagnating a few months ago
    This thread is clearly not my greatest and as the wording in the OP suggested - I knew I was being controversial.
    I would probably have been better off not posting this week after having surgery on my head for 3hrs last Wednesday but WTF I was not up to do anything else (including sleeping) other than blobbing in front of the TV or computer

I don't particularly regret it, like I said it is a forum for banter, hopefully I think before posting but I will not give posts the time I would a letter much less an important answer to something. I will post worse but generally better, I hope to continue to enjoy my time on here - if I have ruined anyone's time on here take me to task with a reply or pm me and tell me to pull my head in. It is no biggie
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Colt Chariots will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Ray Coote
    No problem from my perspective at all.

+ Reply to Thread