Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Concurrent OR Cumulative

Senior Member Horse Of The Year trish will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    patricia ilsley
    It sure does Viv, I've been in this game on & off for a long time & I have never seen it like this, the improvement shown in so many horses is terminal for the industry. One thing that really upsets us is the fact the authority aren't keeping us up to date with what they are doing to try & stop it, so you really don't know if there is any hope.
    Last edited by trish; 08-08-2014 at 04:01 PM. Reason: spelling

Real Name
    patricia ilsley
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darbepoetin_alfa

Both ARANESP & CRESP are in this.
    Cresp was approved in INDIA.
    Last edited by trish; 08-08-2014 at 04:09 PM. Reason: added

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Mighty Atom will become famous soon enough Mighty Atom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rod Reeves
    Occupation
    retired
    So does this mean that every trainer who dominates with horses from their stables automatically becomes suspicious? It is something that is always in the back of my mind and on occasions I have been proven right. The fact that a negative swab result has been returned does not necessarily remove the suspicion. However, you had better get used to it because I don't think any harness racing authority would allow anything that would portray them in a bad light.

Real Name
    patricia ilsley
    However, you had better get used to it because I don't think any harness racing authority would allow anything that would portray them in a bad light.

Hi Ron, not sure what you mean by that last statement, it doesn't seem to make sense . We don't have to get used to anything, we don't need harness racing, harness racing NEEDS people like us.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Atom View Post
    So does this mean that every trainer who dominates with horses from their stables automatically becomes suspicious?

That is how it should be for the stewards as we need them to be over diligent

It is something that is always in the back of my mind and on occasions I have been proven right.

Sadly most of us have begun to think like that but it is something that the industry needs to overcome to restore confidence

The fact that a negative swab result has been returned does not necessarily remove the suspicion.

Unless they hold swabs for a couple of years we cannot be sure that the cheats are not one step ahead

However, you had better get used to it because I don't think any harness racing authority would allow anything that would portray them in a bad light
    It is somewhat understandable that the authorities do not want negative publicity.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member 3YO Race For Fun will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Toni Dartson
    There is no denying Viv's comments:
    (Viv hope you don't mind that I put them in point form)
    1. Drugs will kill this industry.
    2. And they know the cheats are winning.
    3. Everytime they close one avenue off, the drug cheats find a new one.
    4. By the time the authorities get on top of that one, the drug cheats will be on to something else.
    I fear that these points are right on the money. I have to believe that the stewards are doing everything within their power to catch the cheats (I am not implying anything other than my opinion). Authorities around the world have the same problem of chasing/catching up to drug cheats. What a waste of funds that could go into racing but have to be spent chasing the cheats. I wonder where the industry will be in 10 years time? I can not think of anything that has been a bigger threat to the survival of the industry. Sorry I think I'm just rambling, I just wanted to put it on paper..............

Member Gelding Mister JayKO will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Stu Black
    Most people are on the same page here. Look back over time of the stables that "dominated" for a period, many have more than question marks against them - positive swabs or not. My view is that administrators take the view that if they were ever able to get ahead of the game just once, they wouldn't go through with it - the damage they fear would be too great. I would counter that the damage being done at the moment will continue to erode the industry, the people that actually make it tick will walk away. The gentleman who taught me virtually everything I know about the sport and let me drive his horses at every opportunity is now a broken man and disillusioned with the sport. He's tasted the highs, but now mostly the lows. A man who despises drug cheats has over recent times lost a few north - where the horses have turned into lear jets. I know the horses well - but the ones racing now are not the same ones that he had. Somewhere in a thread I heard "Indian Herbs" mentioned - must be the new name, bottom line, whether it's EPO, Blue Magic, Aranesp, Cresp, Milkshakes, Cobalt and now Ice, (they are only the ones I am aware of in my lifetime) the chemists will always be ahead of the game. I am very cynical with regard to the current "dominators" that if I drew up a family tree of stables that I suspect aren't all 100% legit - in each case I can trace strong links back to the good old USA and if you follow my lead that we tend to lag 6-12 months or more behind them just check out where the sport is headed there.

Senior Member 3YO 2minuteman will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Ron James
    Occupation
    General Gadfly

Are we thinking wide enough?

Should we be thinking a bit wider with the fight against dopers?
    I think so,some sports are now having "blood passports" where the swab is actually taken at a time when it is unlikely that the gear is being used.The blood profile subsequently gained then becomes the bench mark and if a subsequent swab shows a deviation from that norm it is incumbent on the "swabee" to explain what caused the deviation
    Moves the onus of proof to where it should be. Discuss.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Mighty Atom will become famous soon enough Mighty Atom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rod Reeves
    Occupation
    retired
    Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    However, you had better get used to it because I don't think any harness racing authority would allow anything that would portray them in a bad light.

Hi Ron, not sure what you mean by that last statement, it doesn't seem to make sense . We don't have to get used to anything, we don't need harness racing, harness racing NEEDS people like us.
    Hi Trish,
    What I meant (and I'm probably being cynical) that if any major doping scandal arose it may not even see the light of day because harness racing authorities know it would be the end as far as the betting public are concerned. I found this out on a personal level training horses in the 80's all the honest trainers knew that we were not competing against the major stables on a level playing field but there was absolutely nothing we could do about it. It may be an overstatement, but I'm not so sure.
    Last edited by Mighty Atom; 08-08-2014 at 09:26 PM.

Real Name
    Rod Reeves
    Occupation
    retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister JayKO View Post
    Most people are on the same page here. Look back over time of the stables that "dominated" for a period, many have more than question marks against them - positive swabs or not. My view is that administrators take the view that if they were ever able to get ahead of the game just once, they wouldn't go through with it - the damage they fear would be too great. I would counter that the damage being done at the moment will continue to erode the industry, the people that actually make it tick will walk away. The gentleman who taught me virtually everything I know about the sport and let me drive his horses at every opportunity is now a broken man and disillusioned with the sport. He's tasted the highs, but now mostly the lows. A man who despises drug cheats has over recent times lost a few north - where the horses have turned into lear jets. I know the horses well - but the ones racing now are not the same ones that he had. Somewhere in a thread I heard "Indian Herbs" mentioned - must be the new name, bottom line, whether it's EPO, Blue Magic, Aranesp, Cresp, Milkshakes, Cobalt and now Ice, (they are only the ones I am aware of in my lifetime) the chemists will always be ahead of the game. I am very cynical with regard to the current "dominators" that if I drew up a family tree of stables that I suspect aren't all 100% legit - in each case I can trace strong links back to the good old USA and if you follow my lead that we tend to lag 6-12 months or more behind them just check out where the sport is headed there.
    Hi Stu,
    agree to everything you've said there and I can add another couple from the 80's to the list of cocktails you have there - Sublimaze and Palfium.

+ Reply to Thread