Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 'Brosnan winds down - the game is buggered'

Senior Member 4YO eliteblood has a spectacular aura about eliteblood's Avatar
    Real Name
    Trevor Swan
    Horses
    Sabilize, Sushi Sushi, Golden Goddess,
    [QUOTE=teecee;35015]
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post

Very few if any horses in NZ make anything close to break even.
    As Trish says if someone in Aussie offered you 20k-30k would you take it or keep racing? You'd take the dosh and so would the trainer. After all he / she gets 10% minimum. We are a marketplace for others. that is how we best survive but as viv said this years foal crop is now below 2000. There must be a few more close up shops to come.
    It is very disturbing to see our sport shrinking so rapidly in both countries. I hope someone smart can arrest the slide else I can't imagine where we will be in another 20 years.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year trish will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    patricia ilsley
    [QUOTE=eliteblood;35024]
    Quote Originally Posted by teecee View Post

It is very disturbing to see our sport shrinking so rapidly in both countries. I hope someone smart can arrest the slide else I can't imagine where we will be in another 20 years.
    I don't know about you Trev but realistically most of us are gunna be dead . Along with harness racing .

Senior Member 4YO eliteblood has a spectacular aura about eliteblood's Avatar
    Real Name
    Trevor Swan
    Horses
    Sabilize, Sushi Sushi, Golden Goddess,
    [QUOTE=trish;35025]
    Quote Originally Posted by eliteblood View Post

I don't know about you Trev but realistically most of us are gunna be dead . Along with harness racing .
    Now THAT IS DISTURBING :-)

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    What is really disturbing is that clearly old mate has failed to move with the times and now he's potting the Industry that has fed and clothed him and blaming his lack of success on everyone else. Take a leaf or two from Mark Purdon's book brother. Spread your wings. Come over and buy a few big $ Futurity/Stakes eligible AUS breds and race them here.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple V View Post
    What is really disturbing is that clearly old mate has failed to move with the times and now he's potting the Industry that has fed and clothed him and blaming his lack of success on everyone else. Take a leaf or two from Mark Purdon's book brother. Spread your wings. Come over and buy a few big $ Futurity/Stakes eligible AUS breds and race them here.
    You might be a little harsh there Jaimie (and maybe he has been too) as the article suggests he has been an active advocate for change for at least a decade.
    I must admit that I did think that at 66 many pro trainers would hope to have put something away and be winding down a little
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple V View Post
    Exactly, Purdons got a barn full of nice horses from doing exactly this and I'm pretty sure that Follow the Stars wasn't his most expensive purchase. If you want to compete with the better horses, You certainly need to spread your wings and have a good look around at all of the options, Oz & Nz and get over here for the Gold sales because their were quite a few bargain buys in the last couple of years and M. Purdon continues to prove this.

Member Yearling cyclone george will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    greg fusinato
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard prior View Post
    Exactly, Purdons got a barn full of nice horses from doing exactly this and I'm pretty sure that Follow the Stars wasn't his most expensive purchase. If you want to compete with the better horses, You certainly need to spread your wings and have a good look around at all of the options, Oz & Nz and get over here for the Gold sales because their were quite a few bargain buys in the last couple of years and M. Purdon continues to prove this.
    Couldn't agree more Richard ,sold one to marks clients this year ,fully professional and you keep updated on his website how is going. Mr brosnan in all fairness ,it know different to any other industry there always someone to take your spot,you have always have to get new clients to survive and if you wind down a bit the new bigger stables look better and end up with most of the horses that just a fact of life. Like Jamie said don't blame the industry that fed you for 40 years. The money in 2 or 3 yld racing is enormous now. I know there is a lot of c1 that can't win a race or earn much money but it no different in the dogs or the gallops. Since the country money has gone up in Vic I think the industry is a little more positive . I had more phone calls in the last 2 months enquiring about horses for lease or sale. I recently syndicated a Cullen yearling and I could have sold it six times. I don't think our foal crop will drop much further ,but the quality of horse is improving rapidly. If someone can explain to me Rock n roll first crop ,almost half have already run or qualified this early in there season (103) there mares are better than ours,and it will change her ,we've all been guilty of breading with mares we shouldn't have been.
    E

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Hi Greg, I think it's the great unknown factor with breeding from your mares, You never know when a real good one might pop out and there has been plenty of great horses from mares with ordinary families. Bettor's Delight is a Classic example, From what I have read, His family was looked upon as pretty ordinary until Matt's Scooter came along and he was fantastic on the track and also pretty good in the barn, A little later Bettor's came along from the same maternal family and he was also pretty good on the track and once he went to stud, The floodgates have well and truly opened up, He is just an astonishing stallion and I think that his figures are up in the area of $155 million and there's every chance he might just rewrite the record books.

Senior Member 2YO Viv Strangman will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Viv Strangman
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclone george View Post
    Couldn't agree more Richard ,sold one to marks clients this year ,fully professional and you keep updated on his website how is going. Mr brosnan in all fairness ,it know different to any other industry there always someone to take your spot,you have always have to get new clients to survive and if you wind down a bit the new bigger stables look better and end up with most of the horses that just a fact of life. Like Jamie said don't blame the industry that fed you for 40 years. The money in 2 or 3 yld racing is enormous now. I know there is a lot of c1 that can't win a race or earn much money but it no different in the dogs or the gallops. Since the country money has gone up in Vic I think the industry is a little more positive . I had more phone calls in the last 2 months enquiring about horses for lease or sale. I recently syndicated a Cullen yearling and I could have sold it six times. I don't think our foal crop will drop much further ,but the quality of horse is improving rapidly. If someone can explain to me Rock n roll first crop ,almost half have already run or qualified this early in there season (103) there mares are better than ours,and it will change her ,we've all been guilty of breading with mares we shouldn't have been.
    E
    I will pass all your knowledgeable suggestions on to Richard. After all he only has $4,000,000 + as a trainer on his card. Never did win the trainers premiership in New Zealand but did finish second and third the odd time and did train a few champions like Bonnies Chance and No Response. Knowing Richard I am sure he will give your advice all the consideration it deserves.

Member Filly kung fu man will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    warren tuckwell
    Spent his whole life training had a few great horses im sure he had a go,its just easier when you get the good horses and we know why some trainers get the majority of the good ones ,by the way anyone know where Excel Stride has gone

+ Reply to Thread