Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Caribbean Blaster

Senior Member 3YO Gtrain has a spectacular aura about Gtrain's Avatar
    Real Name
    Grant Train

Caribbean Blaster

What are everyones thoughts re Caribbean Blasters future breeding career?

I fear that with the service fee placed on him he may end up another For a Reason. A horse with amazing speed, good looks and well above average pedigree however a book of broodmares that will not possess the quality or quantity required to give him a chance. I would love to send one to him however at the $2750 it seems to me that there are some better performed and more proven sires not too much further into the sky rocket. These are just my thougths and im interested to hear others....

Senior Member Horse Of The Year trish will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    patricia ilsley
    Like him but I think the price is too high. We got a sire who had his 1st group 1 winner at BC day cheaper than that who is doing a great job. But still I hope he does well at stud . He's a top horse.
    Last edited by trish; 08-14-2014 at 05:18 PM. Reason: messed it up

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    Like all of them...he will either have what it takes or he will not.
    Christian Cullen kicked off at $4,400 and the peanut gallery lined up six deep to declare him overpriced and that he would be another Popular Alm.
    Cullen duly served small initial books of mixed quality mares both here in AUS and in NZ & despite it all he overcame, producing some outstanding horses right from the jump in both countries. Similarly, on debut via frozen semen Bettor's Delight got both NZ 2yo colt and 2yo filly of the year from just 23? foals along with some very handy performers here in AUS.
    Opportunity i.e. lesser mare quality and small initial crop numbers only ever stop sires of otherwise moderate ability themselves. Really good stallions just get it done, regardless.
    Blaster is such a lovely horse. Great to see Alabar continually giving the local bred stallions their shot at the title.

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Nine lines to say absolutely nothing! bonza contribution!

CB far too pricey, first up IMO.

lovely horse who should make the grade as a sire in this part of the world, but as already mentioned, so far unproven.

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Nine lines to say absolutely nothing! bonza contribution!

CB far too pricey, first up IMO.

lovely horse who should make the grade as a sire in this part of the world, but as already mentioned, so far unproven.
    Ahuh. Get yourself a free Mr. Feelgood then Dan.
    Or is that too dear?
    Maybe the Studs could pay you to breed to their horse?
    There's a concept.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Greg Hando will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hando
    Well said Jamie.
    Have whoever you want on but don't ever have yourself on

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hando View Post
    Well said Jamie.
    ???? spoken like a well educated? school teacher!!

The comment was about CB's fee being IMO too high for an unproven sire, Sorry Jamie, I would not waste a mares' year for ANY stallion by Grin in this part of the world, even if it is a freebie, have a look at Grins' percentages and then have a deeper look at the mares he got here in Australia.

If you think breedinf is about believing the marketiing being thrown at you then keep on truckin!!

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Greg Hando will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hando
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple V View Post
    Like all of them...he will either have what it takes or he will not.
    Christian Cullen kicked off at $4,400 and the peanut gallery lined up six deep to declare him overpriced and that he would be another Popular Alm.
    Cullen duly served small initial books of mixed quality mares both here in AUS and in NZ & despite it all he overcame, producing some outstanding horses right from the jump in both countries. Similarly, on debut via frozen semen Bettor's Delight got both NZ 2yo colt and 2yo filly of the year from just 23? foals along with some very handy performers here in AUS.
    Opportunity i.e. lesser mare quality and small initial crop numbers only ever stop sires of otherwise moderate ability themselves. Really good stallions just get it done, regardless.
    Blaster is such a lovely horse. Great to see Alabar continually giving the local bred stallions their shot at the title.
    Referring to this post Dan and not a school teacher by any stretch of the imagination.
    Have whoever you want on but don't ever have yourself on

Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    ???? spoken like a well educated? school teacher!!

The comment was about CB's fee being IMO too high for an unproven sire, Sorry Jamie, I would not waste a mares' year for ANY stallion by Grin in this part of the world, even if it is a freebie, have a look at Grins' percentages and then have a deeper look at the mares he got here in Australia.

If you think breedinf is about believing the marketiing being thrown at you then keep on truckin!!
    VVV- To put some perspective on your assertion that $2,750 is too high a debut fee for an unproven sire, how about going through the current AUS 2yo, 3yo and Aged sires lists...noting the debut fees of each? They were virtually all unproven sires prior to becoming available here. It will be an interesting exercise/reality check.
    As for marketing...I'm yet to see anything relating to CB that isn't right on the mark. I was at the Melbourne APG the day Rob/Andy/Alan chanced their arm and purchased him for 70k I think it was. He had sireline, he had depth of family and believe it or not he was purchased with the intention of a stud career should he prove to be a good enough. They said exactly that at the time. He was a lovely yearling colt and grew into a terrific type. As a racehorse he had great gait, speed, toughness and attitude...everything you'd look for in a potential sire. He has raced and beaten the best of his era here, taking a fast mark under AUS conditions and earning over $1mil in the process...no mean feat in this part of the world.
    The single best thing that could happen for the Australian Standardbred Breeding Industry is for it to take a leaf out of our TB cousins play book by way of changing the focus/mindset and breeding and then breeding to our own home grown locally performed colts. Christian Cullen, Courage Under Fire etc got it done and both made their debut at considerably more than $2,750. As I said Dan, reality check.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Peaces Of You, Final Peace.
    CB is very nicely bred but I think he is a $1500 stallion until his youngsters can prove themselves on the track. Not many Australian bred horses start at his price, the ones you mention VVV are NZ bred. Breeders just don't seem to like Aus stallions, I don't know why ! He really needs 250 odd mares in his first 3 seasons to have a chance but at that price I would be surprised if he gets anywhere near that .
    Will you be sending any VVV ?
    Don't die wondering !

+ Reply to Thread