Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dan Mielicki

Senior Member 2YO jackthepunter will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Jack Dixon

Dan Mielicki

Dan's normally a great caller,but had an appsolute shocker tonight at Ballarat.

Race one, missed " a matter of course" galloping out and poleaxing the entire back row.

Race 5, missed "nike franco" galloping out then galloping multipliable times before settleing.

All this happen right under his nose in the front staight, lucky I was watching the races and not listening to them otherwise I would have never know what had happen to those horses.

And then saying "bling it on" must have run a 25 quarter to get round them when the leader had ran the first quarter in 32.5, come on Dan your better than that.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    It does not sound as though he had his best night Jack. It is a fair enough thread topic but it made me think - we really are a strange mob, with all his good calling nights it is highly likely that none of us have ever started a thread to give him a wrap

ps I might try going on a positive kick but I will leave the callers to you guys as my new bionic ear is not at max output/input yet
    Last edited by Messenger; 08-17-2014 at 02:16 AM. Reason: ps
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Member Yearling Plunge Punter will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Steve Stevenson
    Occupation
    Punter
    It probably wasn't Dan's best night of calling. But even champion horses and sportsman have off days/nights. I think in Victoria we sometimes forget we have 3 very talented race callers in Mielecki, McIntosh & Rail who serve the industry very well. My dampener on the night was Mick Guerin, surely he has past his used by date about 10 years ago. He adds nothing to the Sky coverage, his views are so subjective as he only pumps up/tips his friends horses. Guerin was far more damaging to the Sky broadcast than Mielecki.

Senior Member 2YO doinmabest has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Fred Hastings
    We all have an off night behind the binocs from time to time and it shows we are only human.... Dan is the best caller in Australia, in my humble opinion, and is a great yardstick for all harness callers..... I can say that no racecaller of any code ever goes to the track intending to muddle horses or get a photo finish wrong. As I said some days are diamonds and some days are stone and without doubt if last night was a stone day for Dan then it will be a long stretch of diamonds from him forthcoming..
    Cheers

Senior Member 4YO Smoken will become famous soon enough Smoken's Avatar
    Real Name
    Evangelos Paps
    Dan is a great race caller

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Dan's peerless as a Harness racing commentator, It's pretty hard to keep your eyes on all the horses in a race unless you have eyes like Marty Feldman.

Real Name
    Fred Hastings
    Spot on Richard.... He is the best....
    Kyle, I think it has become much more difficult for the modern day caller because nowadays everyone sees the same thing...ie, the race is there for most to see. The ability to paint the picture, so to speak is less likely. That said, I always try to call as though I'm calling to a radio audience, for the simple fact that not everyone has pay tv, not everyone is in a TAB and some may be in there car when a race is on. The real art is to find the happy medium, the balance between going OTT and painting the picture, and to that end, Dan does this the best....

Real Name
    Evangelos Paps
    Dan and Fred and Jimmy are my fav callers, in no particular order. I have time for Craig and Lachlan. Australia has fantastic race callers over all compared to the rest of the world!

Real Name
    Fred Hastings
    Smoken, the landscape changed with the advent of TV coverage... In the days when radio was king, a caller could get away with so much...nowadays there is nowhere to hide when you make a mistake. One thing I know categorically - punters are tough critics when it comes to callers, but race callers are their own harshest critics....our country is blessed with what we have.... And let's not forget that many overseas callers at the top are expats....

Real Name
    Evangelos Paps
    Well said Fred! It must be the Australian accent and passion regarding horse racing and greyhounds!

+ Reply to Thread