Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Sprint lane debate once and for all!!!!

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Sorry Kevin,
    but I think that idea absolutley stinks, our game has been gradually becoming more and more like the North American model....mile racing, mobile starts..and look how successful they are at holding punters on Harness racing...NOT, if it wasn't for "the slots" they would be racing for fun and bugger all else ( like we will be if we don't get some real action).

Sorry mate my personal opinion is lets be different and interesting rather than the same boring thing, I'm aware there was some unqualified "market research" doing the rounds a while back saying "young punters want shorter races" but I'm pretty sure if you did the same survey 60 years ago, using the same demographics, you would have got a similar skewed result.

Seriously mate, if we go down the track of 6 horse 1,000 metre races wearing colours that represent barrier draws, I for one will definitley give the game away, and that's a big but honest statement, this silly game we play has been a big part of my life for about 45 years so far, but I am definite on that, I'm gone if we get to that and I know a lot of other people who would as well.

cheers,

Dan

Senior Member 2YO Njcstables will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Nathan Cahir
    I'm with you Danno.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I am not saying I would like it men (definitely think it would work better for 2000+m races anyway) but if we really need to catch the punting dollar, I think small fields keep everybody interested. I do not have a problem with coloured barrier numbers and/or driver colours. I admit to clutching at straws a bit as I do not see HRV resurrecting interest/providing entertainment and facilities at tracks other than Melton (which is too outer Melbourne) and I fear winning punting dollars is the only alternative to improving attendance.

Edit - Just going through tonight's results and saw that there was 1200m 7 horse racing tonight at Melton - I had no idea about this when I made the post about 6 horse fields, so that is not what I was referring to folks (but I am now interested in watching the replays)
    ps The gross times in the results for these races do not add up
    Last edited by Messenger; 05-21-2014 at 02:54 AM.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member 4YO HaroldParker will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Bob Parker

Sprint Lanes for NSW

The whole state will be infected by them soon.

The argument for them is flawed.

"Harness Racing NSW (HRNSW), in conjunction with the Bathurst Harness Racing Club (BHRC), has resolved to introduce a sprint lane and a mobile configuration of eight and four, to allow for a maximum field size of 12, from the initial race meeting on 10 October.
    It was determined that the most opportune time to experiment with a sprint lane is from the outset of the track’s opening and the move to increase the maximum field size is linked to the turnover benefits that go with larger field sizes."

How long until Menangle has 8 x 4 and a Sprint Lane ?

Think of the multi nationals lining up to buy naming rights to the Cheats Lane : )

Tabcorp is running the show.

Back more winners than they deem appropriate (Fixed Odds) on the TAB or with Luxbet and they'll restrict / refuse your bet quick smart.

They've got Harness Racing NSW and VIC jumping through hoops for them ... yet at the same time they're short changing (robbing) the industry.

At some point, similar to Racing NSW, they've got to grow a pair. Which isn't going to happen anytime soon whilst Tabcorp is (no doubt) making the appointments.
    Last edited by teecee; 08-22-2014 at 08:04 PM.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I don't like them either Bob. I consider them a cheats lane for why should the 3posn be guaranteed a run in the str. The leader, the death, the 3w and wider are all guaranteed runs in the str BUT they have done some work to earn their run whereas the 3 posn horse has generally done nothing. Sometimes they have had to lead and hand up to get it but if there was no sprint lane the handing up of the lead is going to go back to being a rare occurrence.

If I was still a punter I am not sure how I would feel.
    With NO spr lane I would have to consider whether the 3posn horse may or may not get out but it was not a huge consideration
    With the spr lane I know he (and maybe 5posn) is going to get out.
    If I fancy the leader I really have to be able to assess the tempo of the race to determine whether the 3posn is likely to finish over the top of the leader. If I fancy a swooper or Death horse, I have to consider how good a cart in the leader will give the spr laner.

For Quinellas, Trifectas and First Four betting it probably creates more possibilities and thus bigger dividends (like more genuine chances does) and thus becomes more attractive to some punters which can be self perpetuating.
    Forgetting the pro punter. Just trying to make the Red Hots less hot and more attractive to the general punter I think the spr lane only makes supporters of the 3 and 5posn horses less likely to be disillusioned because their horse now sees daylight in the str.

Horses not getting a run in the gallopers is far rarer (and what the public are often comparing us to) as their track/strs are so much bigger but we do we really want huge tracks for then we become another TV/Binocular only viewing sport and lose our point of difference. It is strange that we mostly get compared to the gallopers (horses I guess) and not the dogs as they have the problem of dogs drawn the middle getting squeezed up and yet I do not think it is considered a huge problem for their turnover so maybe the belief that 'held up horses' is really hurting Harness is greatly exaggerated.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Bob Parker
    As a punter you adjust to it. Trouble is, because it's there, there's always that element of doubt that a horse who shouldn't be handing up will because a) it's a stablemate or b) it's a lazy option to sit on a danger rather than race it. On the whole wherever they've been introduced racing has become less competitive and as a fan of the sport, less interesting.

There are far more three and four pegs winners at tracks without than with.

NSW was always going to get them. The vocal minority had the ear of the right people.

... Oh and Tabcorp probably told them that there's 0.1% of extra turnover in it ... yet I try and have $200 on something @ 11-4 on Sunday and they won't take anything over $34.
    Last edited by HaroldParker; 08-22-2014 at 05:08 PM.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    $34 LOL
    They provide but do not really like Fixed Odds.
    They long for the tote pool days only where they don't care if you bet more than the pool as they cannot lose and like the Pokies they just take their healthy % of the pool
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Bob Parker
    What I find perplexing, especially @ Melton, is there could be a ton of room outside yet drivers are fixated on a Sprint Lane that is of no benefit to them.

I watched Glenferrie Shuffle' race last Sunday before I backed her yesterday. I don't know what she was expecting to occur, a Miracle parting of the seas ? but there was an acre to her outside to try something. I think we've a crop of drivers shit scared to avoid contact / make something happen because of sprint lanes.

Best racing in Australia ... Gloucester Park and Menangle = no Sprint Lane.

so when Tabcorp instructs HRNSW to change Menangale to 8 x 4 and a Sprint Lane wider than the Jersey Turnpike because their modelling shows there's an extra 0.1% of turnover in it for them ... that leaves GP.

Won't be long until Menangle kicks off @ 10am on a Saturday morning to plug the gap.
    Last edited by HaroldParker; 08-22-2014 at 05:50 PM.

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by HaroldParker View Post
    What I find perplexing, especially @ Melton, is there could be a ton of room outside yet drivers are fixated on a Sprint Lane that is of no benefit to them.

I watched Glenferrie Shuffle' race last Sunday before I backed her yesterday. I don't know what she was expecting to occur, a Miracle parting of the seas ? but there was an acre to her outside to try something. I think we've a crop of drivers shit scared to avoid contact / make something happen because of sprint lanes.

Best racing in Australia ... Gloucester Park and Menangle = no Sprint Lane.

so when Tabcorp instructs HRNSW to change Menangale to 8 x 4 and a Sprint Lane wider than the Jersey Turnpike because their modelling shows there's an extra 0.1% of turnover in it for them ... that leaves GP.

Won't be long until Menangle kicks off @ 10am on a Saturday morning to plug the gap.
    You would have been happy with Dixons drive!!

Member Gelding NormanS will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Norman Schwarz
    Occupation
    Franchise Owner
    Horses
    Love This Dragon, Aussie Melody, Love Th
    My arguments against sprint lanes in NSW include all previously listed but add in NSW we still have the "push out rule" where upon passing the candy pole in the back straight the last time you may shift a runner outside you without causing interference." To my understanding this rule does not exist in VIC. It is a driving skill to extract yourself and this where skilled drivers are concerned should minimise a lot of the argument for sprint lanes.

+ Reply to Thread