Been a fair bit of sinking the slipper into Cranbourne as a venue due to small fields recently. To put the boot on the other foot, try getting from east of Melbourne to Melton on a regular basis. I wrote Melton off as a place I would never visit (unless I really had to) from the time HRV scheduled its metro meetings on Friday nights. To be fair. I was already scaling down my involvement by then.

Turn back the clock a few decades we had a similar situation of debate about Keysborough although that project never got off the ground. It should have, in hindsight, because today is much closer to the centre of Melbourne's population than it was when Graeme Cochran had the TCB buy it in the early 70's. Melton, to me, is just another country track. As a racing venue, HRV could have saved a fortune by upgrading Geelong. As a club, Geelong has under achieved given its population for years. HRV had an advisory committee giving industry advice about the development of Melton. What a pity nobody listened to the advice; we may have ended up with a facility more resembling Menangle instead of Geelong. And from a spectators point of view, how does Melton stack-up against Moonee Valley for food, drink and comfort?