Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What's wrong with MELTON

Hybrid View

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago

What's wrong with MELTON

Quote Originally Posted by jackthepunter View Post
    Its great to see someones having a go at trying to give the sport a more professional look and it positive format the hopefully will take the sport to a new level in professionalism and drive the sport forward. Out of all the states I think nsw has been the most proactive in trying everying to push the sport out of the dark ages. Having trots tv, national coverage of the inter final just brilliant . Been down here in vic , I envy everything your done, the fantastic facility you build menagle Compared to what we got at melton is like compareing australia to a third world country. So well done keep up the good work, be relentless in pushing the sport forward and never quit.
    Apart from location (a big point but also relevant to Menangle) and the barns what is the problem with Melton Jack?
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member 2YO jackthepunter will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Jack Dixon
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    Apart from location (a big point but also relevant to Menangle) and the barns what is the problem with Melton Jack?
    Well Big Kev were do I start. The design of the whole place is a joke, is been poorly though out with bits and piceces added here and their and all over the place. The place has no flow its all over the shop. Why would you put the parade ring as far away as possible? Anyone with half a brain would have put the parade ring right next to the stand like menagle and moonee valley were owners and fans can get right up close to the horse without have to walk all the way. You might think its not that far but think of the elderly or people with young kids. I also would have made the parade ring and stands and dinner areas as one like moonee valley so on warm niights(rarely at melton) you could stand out and watch them parade, but on cold windy days and nights(standard at melton). People could still see and get up close to the horses but behind the glass in warm comfort. To get anyone to go to the races you have to give them comfort and good quality food and drink at cheap prices so they have an enjoyable experience and come back, not only that their tell their friends and they come to. Now this has never happen at melton alot of people went once or twice in the early years and have never or raley been back, myself included. The food was over priced and average at best. From last count I think theirs been at least 10 cheifs and mangers come and go probably more by know, hardly a good recommendation for a place. Why would you have the drivers rooms the size of a phone box and not have them as part of the stable block? I'm convince the people that designed and built the place were the same people that build and designed Etihad Stadium(AFL) were the grounds facing the wrong way for sunlight, difference at melton its facing the wrong way for the wind the buildings should have been build on the side that you drive in hence blocking the wind and not letting it blow right it your face. Their just a few things I could go on all day. But its not a facility any one in the industry worth they salt is happy with or proud of.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    PalaisDuLouvre,Trip 7s, AnythingForLove
    Well Big Kev were do I start. The design of the whole place is a joke, is been poorly though out with bits and piceces added here and their and all over the place. The place has no flow its all over the shop. Why would you put the parade ring as far away as possible? Anyone with half a brain would have put the parade ring right next to the stand like menagle and moonee valley were owners and fans can get right up close to the horse without have to walk all the way. You might think its not that far but think of the elderly or people with young kids. I also would have made the parade ring and stands and dinner areas as one like moonee valley so on warm niights(rarely at melton) you could stand out and watch them parade, but on cold windy days and nights(standard at melton). People could still see and get up close to the horses but behind the glass in warm comfort. To get anyone to go to the races you have to give them comfort and good quality food and drink at cheap prices so they have an enjoyable experience and come back, not only that their tell their friends and they come to. Now this has never happen at melton alot of people went once or twice in the early years and have never or raley been back, myself included. The food was over priced and average at best. From last count I think theirs been at least 10 cheifs and mangers come and go probably more by know, hardly a good recommendation for a place. Why would you have the drivers rooms the size of a phone box and not have them as part of the stable block? I'm convince the people that designed and built the place were the same people that build and designed Etihad Stadium(AFL) were the grounds facing the wrong way for sunlight, difference at melton its facing the wrong way for the wind the buildings should have been build on the side that you drive in hence blocking the wind and not letting it blow right it your face. Their just a few things I could go on all day. But its not a facility any one in the industry worth they salt is happy with or proud of.
    Meltons not perfect. But still great place to watch the races.

They had the stuff you mention at Moonee Valley. And what happened? No bugger turned up!! Losing money hand over foot. All going into MV coffers and out of the participants pockets. Not sustainable. So whats the alternative?

We go every week and yes it's very, very cold there some nites. On Sunday there was a cold westerly blowing. If they put the stand where you said it would have been blowing straight in your face. Put it the other way and then in summer (when some buggers do turn up) you cop a hot northerly in your face. The parade ring is a walk but most nights there's no one down there. 20m walk from cafe? So they put it in front of track and on days when buggers do turn up they'd be whingeing about no space. Menangles parade ring is closer?

It's not perfect but the days of 'If you build it they will come' are gone. It's a fast growing area. Hopefully they capitalise on it. Why build something in the middle of town when 'No bugger turns up'?

I remember the days of standing for 5 hours in the outer to watch my footy team play... Wind, rain or shine. No roof. Made me laugh few weeks back when heard someone complain about bit of bird poop on their undercover seat!

Real Name
    Jack Dixon
    Quote Originally Posted by Toohard View Post
    Meltons not perfect. But still great place to watch the races.

They had the stuff you mention at Moonee Valley. And what happened? No bugger turned up!! Losing money hand over foot. All going into MV coffers and out of the participants pockets. Not sustainable. So whats the alternative?

We go every week and yes it's very, very cold there some nites. On Sunday there was a cold westerly blowing. If they put the stand where you said it would have been blowing straight in your face. Put it the other way and then in summer (when some buggers do turn up) you cop a hot northerly in your face. The parade ring is a walk but most nights there's no one down there. 20m walk from cafe? So they put it in front of track and on days when buggers do turn up they'd be whingeing about no space. Menangles parade ring is closer?

It's not perfect but the days of 'If you build it they will come' are gone. It's a fast growing area. Hopefully they capitalise on it. Why build something in the middle of town when 'No bugger turns up'?

I remember the days of standing for 5 hours in the outer to watch my footy team play... Wind, rain or shine. No roof. Made me laugh few weeks back when heard someone complain about bit of bird poop on their undercover seat!
    Paul you need to read what I wrote properly before you post, I'm all for having a facility at melton just not a shit one. I never said to stay at moonee valley, I said if they had of bulid a facility like at moonee valley at melton where the horse barn lead to the parade ring and out on to the track in front of it and had the buildings built around the parade ring and grand stand and had the dinner area all in one it would be a great facility where people could get out of the cold in the warn comfort of a building but still get close to the horses. As far as no one being at the parade ring watching the horses, it pretty obvious why no ones going to walk down their and freeze their ass off, hence why I said if it was like monnee valley where people could still see the horses parade but be in warm comfort. People need to been able to get up close to the horses in all weather conditions. Its how I first got to get up close to a horse, if no ones taking there kids down their to watch the horses parade and look at the drivers whats the point. To sell the sport you have to sell the horse, not be obsessed with "the punter" most punter are not horse owners, most really don't care about horses it just sometheing to bet on. If you want to get new owners involved or new sponsors you need to a have a first class facility for them to come to, have something to eat and have a good experience and an enjoyable time. Melton can't do any of that, hence why no one goes or most likely will. Watched the Breeders Crown on sunday one of the biggest race days in victoria it look liked they would have been lucky to get 2-3 thousand people their. Happy with that paul? Is that growing the sport? If thats the best Victoria can do, then we are stuffed. It got nothing to do with build it and them will come, its got to do with building a facility where people can go and watch the sport and have a comfortable enjoyable experience. How to you expect to get new people, new sponsors and protential owners to the sport if you build such a hole of a facility?
    Last edited by jackthepunter; 08-27-2014 at 09:21 PM.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago

What's wrong with MELTON

Melton has always been a bit of a distance for me but I have been to a couple of beautiful balmy nights and was so surprised at how close the horses seemed for a bigger track, esp in the str that I was just wrapped. I did not think much about the other stuff but I know what you are saying about the wonderful flow and view of the parade ring that MV offered.
    If you remember the big thread we had on how Harness must improve you would remember that nobody is disagreeing that Harness needs to be a wonderful entertainment experience - unfortunately I have not experienced what Melton has to offer having only been on my pat malone on beautiful evenings where I was happy to grab a hamburger and coffee on the promenade.
    ps Beautiful evenings not planned - just lucky they were the nights I was heading home from the big smoke on my way to the Gap
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    Paul you need to read what I wrote properly before you post, I'm all for having a facility at melton just not a shit one. I never said to stay at moonee valley, I said if they had of bulid a facility like at moonee valley at melton where the horse barn lead to the parade ring and out on to the track in front of it and had the buildings built around the parade ring and grand stand and had the dinner area all in one it would be a great facility where people could get out of the cold in the warn comfort of a building but still get close to the horses. As far as no one being at the parade ring watching the horses, it pretty obvious why no ones going to walk down their and freeze their ass off, hence why I said if it was like monnee valley where people could still see the horses parade but be in warm comfort. People need to been able to get up close to the horses in all weather conditions. Its how I first got to get up close to a horse, if no ones taking there kids down their to watch the horses parade and look at the drivers whats the point. To sell the sport you have to sell the horse, not be obsessed with "the punter" most punter are not horse owners, most really don't care about horses it just sometheing to bet on. If you want to get new owners involved or new sponsors you need to a have a first class facility for them to come to, have something to eat and have a good experience and an enjoyable time. Melton can't do any of that, hence why no one goes or most likely will. Watched the Breeders Crown on sunday one of the biggest race days in victoria it look liked they would have been lucky to get 2-3 thousand people their. Happy with that paul? Is that growing the sport? If thats the best Victoria can do, then we are stuffed. It got nothing to do with build it and them will come, its got to do with building a facility where people can go and watch the sport and have a comfortable enjoyable experience. How to you expect to get new people, new sponsors and protential owners to the sport if you build such a hole of a facility?
    Jack.. not want to get in a blue but you didn't answer any of the questions I asked. So I ask again. The last time you went to Melton? The last time you went Moonee Valley? The last time went Menangle when the patade ring was closer to the track and could be viewed from behind the glass in the grandstand?

Real Name
    Jack Dixon
    Quote Originally Posted by Toohard View Post
    Jack.. not want to get in a blue but you didn't answer any of the questions I asked. So I ask again. The last time you went to Melton? The last time you went Moonee Valley? The last time went Menangle when the patade ring was closer to the track and could be viewed from behind the glass in the grandstand?
    Whats your point? are you talking in riddles? You didn't ask any questions you made a statement in your first post your didn't ask the above questions and I already gave you the answer why I don't go to melton., Its not a blue its a heathly debate. My point is unless you build a good facility for horses/participants/owners/general public which in imo melton is not how to you ever expect to grow the sport or keep people in it. People these days will not go anywhere unless theirs a good faciility that provides everything they need. Which is why most people stay at home.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Whats your point? are you talking in riddles? You didn't ask any questions you made a statement in your first post your didn't ask the above questions and I already gave you the answer why I don't go to melton., Its not a blue its a heathly debate. My point is unless you build a good facility for horses/participants/owners/general public which in imo melton is not how to you ever expect to grow the sport or keep people in it. People these days will not go anywhere unless theirs a good faciility that provides everything they need. Which is why most people stay at home.
    Jack you say it is not a blue (and Viv would probably say we were initially not blueing in Breeding the other day) but I think sometimes we have to look at the slightly aggressive way we post.
    You may not give a rats but having spent some time on Big Footy forum and seen how unpleasant it can become between fans of the same team(!) - I think we have to be vigilant

"Paul you need to read what I wrote properly before you post"

It just reads differently to

'Paul you have not got my point' or 'Paul you need to read what I wrote again'

I think Paul has stated he does not want to get in a blue because it sounds aggressive, well aggressive between mates on a forum anyway

You don't get this point either for then you start with

"Whats your point? are you talking in riddles?"

You won't like this post because it sounds like I am lecturing you - exactly what it sounded like you were doing to him
    I make no apologies for sticking my beak in as I am not interested in another Big Footy testosterone fuelled forum
    (I am sure I will get around to reconciling with Viv)
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Jack Dixon
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    Jack you say it is not a blue (and Viv would probably say we were initially not blueing in Breeding the other day) but I think sometimes we have to look at the slightly aggressive way we post.
    You may not give a rats but having spent some time on Big Footy forum and seen how unpleasant it can become between fans of the same team(!) - I think we have to be vigilant

"Paul you need to read what I wrote properly before you post"

It just reads differently to

'Paul you have not got my point' or 'Paul you need to read what I wrote again'

I think Paul has stated he does not want to get in a blue because it sounds aggressive, well aggressive between mates on a forum anyway

You don't get this point either for then you start with

"Whats your point? are you talking in riddles?"

You won't like this post because it sounds like I am lecturing you - exactly what it sounded like you were doing to him
    I make no apologies for sticking my beak in as I am not interested in another Big Footy testosterone fuelled forum
    (I am sure I will get around to reconciling with Viv)
    Kev, Im not being aggressive their was no questions asked in the first post from paul, and its clear why I don't like melton hence why I dont get his question and no I don't have a problem with you having an opinion, everyones entitled to their opinion. I don't take things personally on here or in life. I clearly stated my points, to which paul made no reley to what I asked him and then he posted the next post pretty simple really.
    Last edited by jackthepunter; 08-28-2014 at 12:31 AM.

Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    No problem here Jack. Sorry I should have worded it differently maybe. You say above. I say they had all that at Moonee Valley. And it was bang slap in the middle of Melbourne. Public transport too and what happened? No one turned up.

You compared Melton to Menangle. NSW had the money from the Harold Park sale. Vic had nothing. So who pays for what you want built at Melton? Where does the money come from? And whats the point of building something like that if no one turns up? They didn't turn up at Moonee Valley so why build something like that at Melton?

My other questions we just to see if you were one of the people that did turn up at Moonee Valley and one of the people who still does.

+ Reply to Thread