Horse Breeder /Owner
    Horses
    Ladies In Red, Hurricane Harley, Honolua
    Thank you, one would be lovely !

Junior Member Foal Ivomec will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Terry Suhan
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    The excitement is what we have to market Terry, living in Ascot Vale I wonder whether are you old enough to have experienced the Showgrounds - if I had never experienced the excitement of the Showgrounds, I doubt I would be a trots fan
    Never had the opportunity to go to the Showgrobds but watch plenty of the trots from their on the Penthouse Club growing up as a kid - my 1st metro meeting was at Moonee Valley - Interdominion when the fog won - along with what seemed like 1 million people!

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    The excitement is what we have to market Terry, living in Ascot Vale I wonder whether are you old enough to have experienced the Showgrounds - if I had never experienced the excitement of the Showgrounds, I doubt I would be a trots fan
    Ray Chaplin of Equineexcellence has prepared a short report on 'How Important was Excitement'

This is the intro:
    "Lack of excitement today is probably one of the key reasons why harness racing has
    declined in popularity since the 1960’s thru 80’s
    In a much more competitive market harness racing as an entertainment has
    transitioned from exciting then to boring now
    This has occurred because of Australia’s decision makers followed the American
    product model of big tracks, majority mobile racing and an obsession for fast times"

This is the conclusion:
    "This comparison of the two major events in USA and Australian harness racing
    suggests that creating an exciting atmosphere is an important component of a
    successful Harness Racing Brand
    It is difficult to envisage how this brand requirement can consistently be delivered to
    the level required at all metropolitan tracks apart from Gloucester Park
    Boring racing, combined with a total of about a half an hour of actual action, and no
    buzz of a crowded betting ring is no incentive to attract new followers to the sport

hence the decline in participation and wagering continues"

The red is my emphasis - like I said in the initial quote 'if I had never experienced the excitement of the Showgrounds, I doubt I would be a trots fan'
    I have to get to GP to see if it rekindles Showground memories
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Messenger; 07-09-2017 at 11:36 PM.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    There is definitely a "buzz" at GP that is not present at most tracks Kev, you should go if you get the chance.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year KTQ will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Katie Howlett
    Horses
    Jack Mac, Sugar Street
    You should go to my hometown track, Busselton, too Kev if you make the trek to WA. Tiny little track, stand starts only, falls at least twice a season and gets a massive turnout for its short summer season. Also, best donuts in the land (I've been known to eat 5 )

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Katie,

I am doing a trip west some time between November and March and Busselton is on my wish list due to the standing starts and small circumference ( cut my teeth on those types of tracks here in NSW many moons ago)....any tips you can PM me will be gratefully received.

Senior Member Colt Yabbie will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Carol Bass
    Occupation
    Paralegal
    Update on last Friday/Saturday travel times

I did not try for the Semi Finals night on Friday as it was the last day of financial year and a first race time of 4.45pm made it nigh on impossible.

However, last Friday night, I left work at 5pm. It took me 20 mins from car park in Flinders Lane to get onto Westgate Freeway leading to the Bridge; not too bad over the bridge and on the Westgate Freeway - very heavy (even though it was school holidays) but moving, off at the Ring Road (flying along at the speed limit); around the bend onto Melton Highway and DEAD STOP. Averaged approx. 40kph from Ring Road to Melton and took about an hour in total to get from my car park to Melton car park.

Saturday night, I travelled from local football commitments at Wallan to Melton via Hume Highway, Ring Road and Melton Highway and it took me 50 mins total.

Enough said

Rightio Kev reporting to you from the chopper in the sky
    Travel times between Southern Cross Station Melbourne and Tabcorp Park Melton tonight were expected to be as follows:

3.30pm 41min
    3.40pm 46min
    4.00pm 54min
    5.05pm 51min
    5.45pm 47min
    6.00pm 40min

Wow if you are knocking off now Carol, you will miss/have missed 4 races due to early start but you should FLY down the highway

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Amlin will become famous soon enough Amlin's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kyle Galley
    Spoke to a chap last night who lives near me - we are approx. 125 kms east of Melb so you then need to add the distance from the tunnel to TP onto that.

He raced at the recent weekday meet and left the course at around 3:15pm - took him over four hours to get home.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Another quote from Les Carlyon's The Master:

The trotting trainers had their stables near the Showgrounds, which abutted the racecourse, and their names were as well known as those of the thoroughbred trainers. On Saturday nights 20,000 people sometimes turned up to watch the trots - no one called it harness racing then - on the tiny three-furlong Showgrounds track.

I know he is describing 'Flemington, the place' back in the 1950's BUT where did we go wrong
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Member Gelding Mister JayKO will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Stu Black
    Too many different reasons but if you want to bring it back to a few;

1. We assumed that everything that happens in America is better (Let's face it, it's not)
    2. Society changed and we didn't change with it
    3. We lost the intimacy when we became obsessed with speed

+ Reply to Thread