Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: When Did the 1x1 First Lose Favour?

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago

When Did the 1x1 First Lose Favour?

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-re...ic#MXM29081406

Race 4 at Melton last night is a classic example of how the 1x1 is semi-despised nowadays
    The winner left the 1x1 pre bell to go to the D on his terms other than having to possibly go 3w when the speed came on and the 3w train threatened

I was musing over when 3wide train racing came into vogue (thus putting the hex on the 1x1)
    I thought it may have been in the 90's with the tough horses of the Mannings

Anyone?
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Banned Yearling cityboy will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    dougie miller
    thats a no brainer - its definitly when they made the tracks bigger than 800 metres - it used to be called the sweet seat, though theres not much of a dream run now that horses are making runs earlier and not having to give ground away to horses on the inside. now its more of the better horses on the day that do well & drivers that weight lighter
    Last edited by cityboy; 08-30-2014 at 08:27 PM.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by cityboy View Post
    thats a no brainer - its definitly when they made the tracks bigger than 800 metres - it used to be called the sweet seat, though theres not much of a dream run now that horses are making runs earlier and not having to give ground away to horses on the inside. now its more of the better horses on the day that do well & drivers that weight lighter
    I think we all know its drawbacks nowadays and its attraction in the old days (thus why I was reminiscing about it Dougie)
    As for your answer - I don't think so
    Melbourne trots moved to MV's 965m track in the 70's but I do not remember the 1x1 losing favour that early
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    dougie miller
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    I think we all know its drawbacks nowadays and its attraction in the old days (thus why I was reminiscing about it Dougie)
    As for your answer - I don't think so
    Melbourne trots moved to MV's 965m track in the 70's but I do not remember the 1x1 losing favour that early

sorry but to be more precise tracks that are bigger than newcastle say for example. they way track are cambered these days its not much of a disadvantage to be 3 wide for a lap say.

Real Name
    dougie miller
    i used to loving driving on half mile tracks even though i had not too many drives more mixed success , it was more push n shove to what it is now completely different.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by cityboy View Post
    sorry but to be more precise tracks that are bigger than newcastle say for example. they way track are cambered these days its not much of a disadvantage to be 3 wide for a lap say.
    But that is wrong too because the Peter Manning stable in Vic was mucking up the 1x1 for people by sitting 3 wide - long before we got the new cambered tracks
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    Why is a horse 5 or 6 back in the running line expected to make up 20-30m and go three wide for a 1000m, yet the horse 1 back in the running line is never set the task of making up 5m and going three wide for a 1000m. Ridiculous.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
    Why is a horse 5 or 6 back in the running line expected to make up 20-30m and go three wide for a 1000m, yet the horse 1 back in the running line is never set the task of making up 5m and going three wide for a 1000m. Ridiculous.
    Not disagreeing with that Brendan. Just saying that in the real old days the 1x1 used to get away with staying in with cover quite often until coming off the final turn.
    But this is a luxury rarely afforded the 1x1 nowadays and understandably so
    I thought it was an interesting drive on Our Santa as he opted to death seat for 1200 as he feared he may have otherwise had to go 3w for 1000+
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member 3YO Race For Fun will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Toni Dartson
    Not sure what the answer is but years ago if a driver pulled out three wide mid race the stewards would have the driver in asking questions as to getting the horse beaten, now they have the driver in and want to know why they didn't pull three wide mid race and put the horse into the race. No doubt it's easier to come three wide on bigger tracks (less turns).

Senior Member 2YO jackthepunter will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Jack Dixon
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-re...ic#MXM29081406

Race 4 at Melton last night is a classic example of how the 1x1 is semi-despised nowadays
    The winner left the 1x1 pre bell to go to the D on his terms other than having to possibly go 3w when the speed came on and the 3w train threatened

I was musing over when 3wide train racing came into vogue (thus putting the hex on the 1x1)
    I thought it may have been in the 90's with the tough horses of the Mannings

Anyone?
    For some reason melton seems to have a strong leader bias

+ Reply to Thread