Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: When Did the 1x1 First Lose Favour?

Senior Member 4YO brent_L will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Brent Lambert
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
    Why is a horse 5 or 6 back in the running line expected to make up 20-30m and go three wide for a 1000m, yet the horse 1 back in the running line is never set the task of making up 5m and going three wide for a 1000m. Ridiculous.
    More often than not the horse 1 back has spent a few fuel tickets early.

Senior Member 4YO brent_L will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Brent Lambert
    Kev I reckon we also are seeing a lot less horses win from the breeze (that said, I was introduced to the sport during the time when Kerryn would park one of her fathers then simply win). The faster times that are run nowadays is without doubt the reason for this IMO and if the death horse isn't going as well then I suppose one of the last places u want to be is 1x1. That's my take anyhow.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by jackthepunter View Post
    For some reason melton seems to have a strong leader bias
    The lead is pretty much the place you want to be on any track isnt it?
    - As always the leader runs the shortest distance
    - You or the Death horse control the pace (and the Death driver can face the Stewards if he is not sensible)
    - With the right pace our straights are not so long that even a sprint lane horse has the time to catch you
    - The pattern of racing nowadays is to see a 3w train and quite often your biggest danger is the 3WT and he generally has to rely on the leader stopping a little to make up 10+m
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Our Santa Catalina's win on Friday night at Melton was an example on how some racing has changed Kev, David Moran was in the 1 out 1 back and wasn't happy about the pace and popped out and went around into the death and from there pretty much dictated the terms as his main opposition Just Cala had to come from the tail 3 wide by herself and Moran's horse just out toughed the favourite. Good drive IMHO.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I agree totally Rich. Musing about how much racing has changed was what prompted me to start the thread
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    I agree totally Rich. Musing about how much racing has changed was what prompted me to start the thread
    It's an Excellent thread Kev, More than likely David Moran didn't want to be boxed in by Just Cala and his decision to pop out and go to the death certainly won him the race.

+ Reply to Thread