Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Lasix

Flashing Red

Lasix

What are people's thoughts and why...

EDIT - for raceday, administered by a veterinarian on course.
    Last edited by Flashing Red; 04-18-2011 at 01:53 AM. Reason: Clarification

Member Filly latemail_cam will become famous soon enough latemail_cam's Avatar
    Real Name
    Cameron Lee
    Occupation
    CEO
    What is lasix?

Member Gelding Zipper will become famous soon enough Zipper's Avatar
    Real Name
    Unknown
    Hasn't it been introduced already, just with a withholding period? I'm pretty sure I've had a couple of gallopers treated with it, there was just a 7 or 14 day withholding period. Not sure if the same rules apply in harness??

triplev123
    Abso-freaking-lutely.

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Vets will tell you 70% of horses bleed at some stage so i can't see why you shouldn't be able to treat them with lasix. Some good horses have had to be retired due to bleeding where if treated they could of kept on racing. The question i have is does it inhance there performance some people say know but i'll go the other way on what of seen. 5yr old mare won about $50k and went 2min around tight half mile tracks she bled so they decided to give her a go on lasix even though you can't race on it and i can tell you that mare improved out of sight went under 2mins at a trial hard held. So it is an interesting subject and i suppose if everyone has access to it go for it.

Member Filly DAZZA will become famous soon enough DAZZA's Avatar
    Real Name
    Michael Johnson
    Of course it is performance enhancing. They are going to go better when they dont bleed. Lasix prevents them from bleeding, hence they go better.

Flashing Red
    Quote Originally Posted by DAZZA View Post
    Of course it is performance enhancing. They are going to go better when they dont bleed. Lasix prevents them from bleeding, hence they go better.
    I draw the distinction between it being performance enhancing - I see it as rather allowing a horse to perform to its natural ability? I have always regarded performance enhancing to mean making a horse go above and beyond its natural ability??

Obviously I am pro lasix, but whenever this discussion crops up, there are always one or two that appear and say it is a masking agent (for other drugs). I guess I'm asking because I've never thoroughly researched lasix as a masking agent (but I find the same people say anything and everything can be masking agents anyway, lol!). There have certainly been a swag of positives with lasix horses for other substances in North America...

Member Filly DAZZA will become famous soon enough DAZZA's Avatar
    Real Name
    Michael Johnson
    Yeah i agree with you, if its treating a problem a horse has which prevents the horse from running its best than I can see the benefits of it.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Greg Hando will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hando
    I think it should be allowed i could have used it a fortnight ago

triplev123
    G'day Flashing,
    I've dug around on this and related ones for quite a few years now and I've always felt the charge is a little inaccurate in terms of Lasix masking anything.
    I don't believe it actually masks, as in covers up, the presence of prohibited substances...however theoretically it may well (via the promoting of a much greater than normal volume of urine expulsion) be responsible for the dilution of the metabolites of said substances in the urine and it might well do so to such a degree that they may not be as easily detected/able to be detected at all in subsequent testing. I have been told a number of times that this is the main reason behind Caffeine positives being so frowned upon. It is not because of the usually suspect stimulative outcome of a few short blacks or a couple of big cans of Red Bull or whatever...but rather because it has a very similar diuretic effect. Perhaps Warney's Mum's tablets were doing a similar job for old mate. Nobody has been able to prove to me that any of this is actually the case however.
    I am all for pre race Vet administered Lasix and like yourself I also draw a distinction there, one which virtually any Vet would tell you is a more than reasonable one to draw. Lasix is not performance enhancing, at least not as I and no doubt many others understand the meaning of that term. Rather I believe it allows some horses to race right up to their true/full potential. I say some because as you would know having raced in the US, not all horses will respond to it and even amongst those that do there are varying degrees of success. I firmly believe there should be on course pre race designated Vet administered Lasix allowed for horses that require it.
    Further to this I firmly believe that, just as we have established thresholds for TC02 readings, there should be established thresholds for a whole host of therapeutic substances.
    Any High School Chemistry student could state with complete & absolute certainty that once they are below certain levels a great many of the drugs that we employ therapeutically will become non-pharmacologically active...and yet their presence on race day in even the most minute, trace and completely non-active of amounts can still see Trainers punted for lengthy holidays and/or fined.

+ Reply to Thread