Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Lasix

Hybrid View

Flashing Red

Lasix

What are people's thoughts and why...

EDIT - for raceday, administered by a veterinarian on course.
    Last edited by Flashing Red; 04-18-2011 at 01:53 AM. Reason: Clarification

Member Filly latemail_cam will become famous soon enough latemail_cam's Avatar
    Real Name
    Cameron Lee
    Occupation
    CEO
    What is lasix?

Member Gelding Zipper will become famous soon enough Zipper's Avatar
    Real Name
    Unknown
    Hasn't it been introduced already, just with a withholding period? I'm pretty sure I've had a couple of gallopers treated with it, there was just a 7 or 14 day withholding period. Not sure if the same rules apply in harness??

triplev123
    Abso-freaking-lutely.

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Vets will tell you 70% of horses bleed at some stage so i can't see why you shouldn't be able to treat them with lasix. Some good horses have had to be retired due to bleeding where if treated they could of kept on racing. The question i have is does it inhance there performance some people say know but i'll go the other way on what of seen. 5yr old mare won about $50k and went 2min around tight half mile tracks she bled so they decided to give her a go on lasix even though you can't race on it and i can tell you that mare improved out of sight went under 2mins at a trial hard held. So it is an interesting subject and i suppose if everyone has access to it go for it.

Member Filly DAZZA will become famous soon enough DAZZA's Avatar
    Real Name
    Michael Johnson
    Of course it is performance enhancing. They are going to go better when they dont bleed. Lasix prevents them from bleeding, hence they go better.

Flashing Red
    Quote Originally Posted by DAZZA View Post
    Of course it is performance enhancing. They are going to go better when they dont bleed. Lasix prevents them from bleeding, hence they go better.
    I draw the distinction between it being performance enhancing - I see it as rather allowing a horse to perform to its natural ability? I have always regarded performance enhancing to mean making a horse go above and beyond its natural ability??

Obviously I am pro lasix, but whenever this discussion crops up, there are always one or two that appear and say it is a masking agent (for other drugs). I guess I'm asking because I've never thoroughly researched lasix as a masking agent (but I find the same people say anything and everything can be masking agents anyway, lol!). There have certainly been a swag of positives with lasix horses for other substances in North America...

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Flashing Red View Post
    I draw the distinction between it being performance enhancing - I see it as rather allowing a horse to perform to its natural ability? I have always regarded performance enhancing to mean making a horse go above and beyond its natural ability??

Obviously I am pro lasix, but whenever this discussion crops up, there are always one or two that appear and say it is a masking agent (for other drugs). I guess I'm asking because I've never thoroughly researched lasix as a masking agent (but I find the same people say anything and everything can be masking agents anyway, lol!). There have certainly been a swag of positives with lasix horses for other substances in North America...
    You could argue any performance enhancing drug doesnt make the horse better; just lets it realise its potential

Senior Member 3YO Gtrain has a spectacular aura about Gtrain's Avatar
    Real Name
    Grant Train
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
    You could argue any performance enhancing drug doesnt make the horse better; just lets it realise its potential
    Cmon Aussie, surely you can see the point here. Its like a footballer having a local anaesthetic, does it give them more abilty, NO, does it makes them perform longer than normal, NO, it just allows them to perform at their normal ability. It makes sense to allow Lasix. Wont happen though.

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtrain View Post
    Cmon Aussie, surely you can see the point here. Its like a footballer having a local anaesthetic, does it give them more abilty, NO, does it makes them perform longer than normal, NO, it just allows them to perform at their normal ability. It makes sense to allow Lasix. Wont happen though.
    Which is pretty much what I said.

Also I didnt say anything about allowing it or disallowing it; but while its a clean sport I say disallow it. It the sport was to allow Lasix, then to be fair it has to be fair game for EPO, snake venom etc (why help one ailment but not another?) ....and if that happens I and many will either leave or scale down interest in the sport

+ Reply to Thread