Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: NSW "Prizemoney!"

Senior Member Horse Of The Year trish will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    patricia ilsley

Lightbulb NSW "Prizemoney!"

Honestly how is this any good for harness racing in NSW , really IMO its wrong. I think more & more people will walk away thinking their horse are not good enough for
    Menangle as that's where the better money will always be.
    Penrith's meeting a fortnight ago 9 races racing for $47,000.00.
    Penrith meeting this Thursday 7 races racing for $33,500.00.
    Bloody backward step by far.
    Why should anyone HAVE to race for $4000 again? Because they are forced too. In this day and age I think it is pathetic. Trainers work their arse off & for what???
    Whoever brought this crap in, have you worked 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year training horses in the mud, rain, hail or sunshine . Sand in your eyes, ears and every other part of your body.....doubt it!!!!!
    Are you trying to KILL Penrith or trying to force numbers up at Menangle? I think this is forcing more horses just to be cannon fodder.

Member Filly kung fu man will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    warren tuckwell

last week Bankstown we got balloted out of a race 1 scratching and 1 positive swab n

Last week at Bankstown we got balloted out a race it started with 8 runners 1 scratching and 1 positive swab withdrawal, no reserves or we would have run, we still had to pay to have the horse trained.Tomorrow Menangle the c0 has 5 runners racing for $7000 and the c0-c2 has 5 runners racing for $7000 we are racing at Penrith for $4000 needless to say then the horse will probably be turned out when he is improving and could race on but it seems whatever way we go we are heading down a deadend street ,PS could buy Weasel tomorrow hes a $2000 claimer and went 56 at Penrith!

Senior Member 3YO Race For Fun will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Toni Dartson
    Bankstown 28th August had 11 races, 7 races were drawn up with full fields.

Newcastle 29th August had 9 races, 9 with full fields drawn up.

Menangle 2nd September has 7 races, 4 races have 6 runners, 2 races have 7 runners, 1 race has 8 runners.

All fields before scratchings as they are unknowns at the time fields are drawn up.

Prizemoney is the King no question.

But placing your horse to give it the best chance of winning is the differance between staying in harness racing or not.

Should the board at Menangle be concerned at this trend?

Real Name
    patricia ilsley
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcyone View Post
    As connections you had the choice to race in a harder graded race for $6,000 or a time restricted event for $4,000.

Your horse has been astutely placed based on its current performances.

60% of $4,000 is better than a possible 2% of $6,000 racing against above average horses.

I also don't understand why your horse would be spelled.

It's now September and I'd be surprised if every horse nominated (up to a certain grade) didn't receive a start from now till Nov.

Hi Adam . I can understand what you're trying to do . Last season Newcastle ran a race for any trainer who had not won a race all season and put the grand amount of $1500 as prize money . That is a damn insult when you look at what they have had to put up with . Now , I believe , this system is saying to those and others that "your no where near as important to the industry as those with big pockets or those prepared to give themselves an unfair advantage" . I think your lucky they haven't already left cause I know that some are thinking about it [every single person we've talked to]. How about we rate the staff at Harness racing NSW on performance or importance of job and start paying most of you less . That's what your doing to these trainers . They can't charge as much per day if they're racing for less . To say 60% of $4000 is better than 2% of $6000 is beyond belief . You stated that Warren had the choice to put his horse in a race for $6000 but would of had no real chance . Well that's not a choice and it's not fair that his horse can't compete for higher money at it's own level . I'm sure he costs as much to keep . This is WRONG and, I believe ,this is discriminative .

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Trish I totally agree that Prizemoney has to be 'worth the effort'. On a somewhat related point, I do however think that even at out of town meetings, the better horse should race for a few more $
    Seeing a C0 winner collect the same purse as a C5-7 does not seem right to me. Generally I will not go that extra yard to attend a meeting for C0 race but I might for better class races/horses.
    In terms of your workplace analogy, I see the better class horses as the leaders/bosses and you of course know that everyone at HRNSW does not get paid the same.
    Once again I want to emphasize that I do agree that all races have to be worth winning

ps TeeCee you might have to create a thread for this page
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member 3YO Race For Fun will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Toni Dartson
    There is no doubt races with $1500 are disgusting. They do nothing for the person with the horse. It costs exactly the same amount to feed a horse if it starts in a race worth $1500 or $5000 on the same program. The punter just wants to have a bet and he doesn't care what the prizemoney level of a race is, and that's not the punters problem either. But the fact that these so called "penalty free " races ever got approved doesn't say much for the powers that be. Clubs get to run a meeting at a fraction of normal costs. The powers that be then tell us how good TAB turn over is.

Trish have a look at the mile rate of the $1500 race at Newcastle you refered to, almost the fastest run of the night.

Maybe country prizemoney needs to be higher while the industry tries to rebuild and metropolitan racing might have to race for a bit less for a while. Don't get me wrong metropolitan racing should have good prizemoney but metropolitan racing gets it's strength from country horses.

Real Name
    patricia ilsley
    G'day Kev . I just think that most horses don't race on to the faster classes . If a horse makes C7 then he's probably won 9 or 10 races , maybe more . His prize money would be quite good already . Any owner that keeps a low class horse going deserve a break if they win and, anyway , I don't think anyone should be racing for that when they don't have to . It just makes the sport even more unbalanced and the reason for it is questionable . They want to extend a horses racing life . Well if a horse is going to race for less once he's hit his mark then bye bye Socks . See you at Wentworth Park .

Real Name
    patricia ilsley
    Quote Originally Posted by Race For Fun View Post
    There is no doubt races with $1500 are disgusting. They do nothing for the person with the horse. It costs exactly the same amount to feed a horse if it starts in a race worth $1500 or $5000 on the same program. The punter just wants to have a bet and he doesn't care what the prizemoney level of a race is, and that's not the punters problem either. But the fact that these so called "penalty free " races ever got approved doesn't say much for the powers that be. Clubs get to run a meeting at a fraction of normal costs. The powers that be then tell us how good TAB turn over is.

Trish have a look at the mile rate of the $1500 race at Newcastle you refered to, almost the fastest run of the night.

Maybe country prizemoney needs to be higher while the industry tries to rebuild and metropolitan racing might have to race for a bit less for a while. Don't get me wrong metropolitan racing should have good prizemoney but metropolitan racing gets it's strength from country horses.
    Hi Toni.
    I agree with everything you say. When is someone going to realise that higher prizemoney doesn't mean full fields. Menangle has had higher prizemoney in its mid week meetings for years but they have struggled to get field numbers up. The $30,000.00 FFAs they brought in on the 12th July haven't had a full field yet.
    I believe that if participants believed that they were racing on a level playing field, then none of these problems would exist. This is the root of the problem IMO.
    Last edited by trish; 09-02-2014 at 05:52 PM. Reason: added IMO

Senior Member 2YO jackthepunter will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Jack Dixon
    Imo having any races worth less money for their class is a big step backwards, that will likely increase the chances of people being prepare to take more risks and send the sport back to where it has just been.

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcyone View Post
    The Metropolitan area has the horse population in Sep-Dec (when there are limited 2yo's & 3yo's in the pool) to conduct in most instances two weekday meetings and a Metro Saturday night.

The meetings at Penrith have predominately been programmed as Secondary meetings during Sep-Oct to cater for out of form and/or emerging horses.

To ensure that new 3yo's and C0's that are not up to Menangle Tuesday are catered for races have been programmed for $6,000 per race during this period.

If you look at the three meetings programmed this week it's fair to say that trainers have placed their horses based on their current form and/or ability.

Menangle (Tues):http://www.harness.org.au/fields.cfm?mc=PC020914

Penrith: http://www.harness.org.au/fields.cfm?mc=PE040914

Menangle (Sat): http://www.harness.org.au/fields.cfm?mc=PC060914

When the horse population grows & the Metro Monday meeting enters the system Penrith meetings will mainly be Primary Meetings (programmed similar to how Newcastle & Wagga/Young Fridays and Bathurst are programmed now).

Primary meetings have increased from $39,000 to $46,000 per meeting.

Secondary meetings have increased from $28,000 to $33,500 per meeting.

The race date calendar is designed to cater for the horse population at any given time of the year.

I think the mix in the Metro area has worked extremely well this week.
    VVV-Keep up the good work Adam...the peanut gallery be damned.

+ Reply to Thread