Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: NSW "Prizemoney!"

Senior Member Horse Of The Year trish will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    patricia ilsley
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple V View Post
    VVV- Ok. Does....having a Virginia Ham under each arm and crying because you don't have any bread...work?

Virginia hams, prized for their sweetness, are cut from razorback hogs fed on peanuts!

If you knew this, its funny.
    If you didn't know this, its even funnier.
    Last edited by trish; 09-12-2014 at 05:46 PM. Reason: added ,

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    Virginia hams, prized for their sweetness, are cut from razorback hogs fed on peanuts!

If you knew this, its funny.
    If you didn't know this, its even funnier.

VVV- So...that's it is it Trish? No reply to ANYTHING whatsoever that I mentioned in #40?
    I rest my case.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    VVV- Trish, I can immediately read one extremely significant positive into that PDF.
    The Named Horses figure as it directly relates to annual foaling numbers and in turn Industry wastage.
    We are breeding far, far fewer horses than we ever were 35+ years ago HOWEVER at the same time it is a FACT that we are conducting significantly MORE races than we did 35+ years ago.
    This is because the horses we are breeding these days are sired by infinitely better class/quality stallions than were ever even dreamed of being available in the past, the foals by those sires are... I suspect to the surprise of nobody who's been paying attention...getting to the races in vastly greater %'s, age wise they are getting there earlier across the board & consequently they are having MORE RACE STARTS LIFETIME than their predecessors could ever have dreamed of.
    That there are fewer Trainers & Drivers now than there were 35+ years ago merely reflects ongoing Industry changes from a large number/greater % of part-time/Hobby trainer/drivers to a smaller number/ greater % of more full-time participants. I hesitate to use the word 'rationalisation' however, like the number of small tracks throughout the State being closed down and the Industry moving to a focus on fewer but larger Regional Centre operations (Menangle/Goulburn/Bathurst/Newcastle/Tamworth)...trainer/driver numbers, like tracks and foal numbers, are not immune to rationalisation as a result of financial pressures/constraints. How would you like to have another 7000 odd foals across Australia out there looking for someone to shell out their hard earned, a % of those at the sales & others privately, to buy and pay to have trained and subsequently...looking for somewhere to race?
    At one stage there not so many years ago we had 16 mares. We saw the writing on the wall and to remain a part of the Industry we loved so much we cut our cloth to suit the returns, we're back to 5 now, probably drop one more off/not replace her over the next few years.
    It is what it is, the basic financial fundamentals of remaining part of the show are what they are.

Even now the Australian & NZ Breeding Industries produce more foals each year than there are Owners out there who are willing to shell out to buy, train and race.

Hand in hand with the above...the lack of Owners is in now way assisted by the really spineless efforts of recent times that have occurred on behalf of a great many Trainers. These are blokes who are at the coal face and who, despite being much more aware than most of the shrinking pool of Owners out there and becoming aware of the Owner pool dwindling much sooner than anyone else, still steadfastly refuse to put their hands into their own pockets and own shares in the horses that they train. They are of course more than happy to fire off their monthly accounts... but as far as sharing even a part of the risk they expect their Owners to take on...by and large they are notably gun shy.
    If a Trainer doesn't show some faith in their own Industry, faith in their own product, faith in that which puts food on their table by way of taking a piece of each horse than enters their stable...it's more than a bit rich for them to nevertheless expect Owners to do so.
    There are some VERY notable exceptions of course...however they are unfortunately very few and far between.
    Interestingly those few and far between Trainers are often more successful than most BUT also inexplicably critiqued by their contemporaries...often whilst said critics stand at the bar at the Yearling Sales, a can of Jimmy in hand and waiting, like a Venus Fly Trap...for some poor unsuspecting bastard to wander by and drop a horse or two into their lap.

All this makes me think of a short story. In response to a journalist suggesting he had been lucky throughout his career, the late, great 5 time Little Brown Jug winning Trainer, Billy Haughton was quoted as saying "The harder I work, the luckier I get". That's been used many times by many different people...but always to the same end. We all need to take a leaf out of Billy's book.

A good many people in this very much loved Industry of ours simply need to quit their bitching and moaning and groaning, pick their battles and otherwise just get on with it. There are a dozen or more things that I would change if I could. I would fight 20 battles plus a day if I had the time & the inclination. I like a good old stoush more than most & way more than I should. I have found one thing to be true however. There's more than one way to skin a cat. If you want to kick the chairs out from under those you believe to be cheating, very little is to be gained by running the Industry down here in a public forum. You need to be a little bit more creative.
    As you are keen for a reply VVV, I will tell you how it struck me.
    I would say that the emboldened part is sad. It sounds a little defeatist but I dare say it is also realistic.
    I cannot help but think our administrators have failed dismally. In which case a bit of moaning and groaning to let them know they have not done enough cannot be all bad IMO.
    As for not discussing the industry's woes on a public forum eg cheats, I think you will find that this forum is 99% enthusiasts and we are unlikely to cost the industry converts as we have a fairly balanced range of threads for the new 1% we snare
    Seriously, there are plenty on here that would like a creative leader who will show us how to skin the cat so don't hold back
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    As you are keen for a reply VVV, I will tell you how it struck me.
    I would say that the emboldened part is sad. It sounds a little defeatist but I dare say it is also realistic.
    I cannot help but think our administrators have failed dismally. In which case a bit of moaning and groaning to let them know they have not done enough cannot be all bad IMO.
    As for not discussing the industry's woes on a public forum eg cheats, I think you will find that this forum is 99% enthusiasts and we are unlikely to cost the industry converts as we have a fairly balanced range of threads for the new 1% we snare
    Seriously, there are plenty on here that would like a creative leader who will show us how to skin the cat so don't hold back

VVV- Not defeatist by any means mate, Breeders are by nature supreme optimists where their activities are concerned, they have to be. It's a prerequisite. Anything less than that just doesn't get you over the many & varied disappointments, some of which can prove to be all but crushing...and that come as part of the territory.
    We had a swag of mares there at one stage and I don't mind admitting there were quite a few passengers that for a variety of reasons we had picked up along the way and by rights we should not have been breeding from, but nevertheless we did. Financial realities in any form of endeavour have a cold, hard habit of hitting you between the eyes and heading to the sales and not even getting service fees back for a number of them was of course the last straw. That was nobody's fault but our own. Not for one minute do I blame Industry Admin for any of that. Sales Breeders ignore basic Industry commercial imperatives at their inevitable peril.
    Getting points across wise...well, the easiest way I think there is to get your point across to Administration/Regulatory etc is to get on the phone & and call them and/or make an appointment to go talk to them... or better still, just straight up walk over & talk to them whenever you see them. Nothing beats a face to face encounter. Get on a Committee, get to the Industry talk fests and stand up and let them have it if that is your want. As I said in #40, there's plenty I'd change if given the chance, there's plenty Admin & Regulatory do way wrong in my eyes but there is plenty Admin do right as well. Brickbats and Bouquets accordingly. It's not all one way traffic.

Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    VVV- Not defeatist by any means mate, Breeders are by nature supreme optimists where their activities are concerned, they have to be. It's a prerequisite. Anything less than that just doesn't get you over the many & varied disappointments, some of which can prove to be all but crushing...and that come as part of the territory.
    We had a swag of mares there at one stage and I don't mind admitting there were quite a few passengers that for a variety of reasons we had picked up along the way and by rights we should not have been breeding from, but nevertheless we did. Financial realities in any form of endeavour have a cold, hard habit of hitting you between the eyes and heading to the sales and not even getting service fees back for a number of them was of course the last straw. That was nobody's fault but our own. Not for one minute do I blame Industry Admin for any of that. Sales Breeders ignore basic Industry commercial imperatives at their inevitable peril.
    Getting points across wise...well, the easiest way I think there is to get your point across to Administration/Regulatory etc is to get on the phone & and call them and/or make an appointment to go talk to them... or better still, just straight up walk over & talk to them whenever you see them. Nothing beats a face to face encounter. Get on a Committee, get to the Industry talk fests and stand up and let them have it if that is your want. As I said in #40, there's plenty I'd change if given the chance, there's plenty Admin & Regulatory do way wrong in my eyes but there is plenty Admin do right as well. Brickbats and Bouquets accordingly. It's not all one way traffic.
    We saw the writing on the wall ......
    It is what it is, the basic financial fundamentals of remaining part of the show are what they are

Now read differently with the context you provide

I guess I blame Admin for not growing our industry and for us being even more insignificant than ever in relation to the 'other' horse industry.
    I have a couple of family members very heavily involved in that other industry and in comparison it is hard to dispute their claim that we are irrelevant

I probably email, call etc way more than the next bloke but I also see a potentially strong voice in our forum. I know Adam Kelly printed off our 'Ways to Improve the industry' thread
    I would like to think that we remember to praise too. We are certainly aiming to have some fun
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Member Filly kung fu man will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    warren tuckwell
    A person has to laugh or just go crazy our bloke won his co last night and today this
    http://www.harness.org.au/news-artic...?news_id=24421

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by kung fu man View Post
    A person has to laugh or just go crazy our bloke won his co last night and today this
    That would be more than a bit frustrating Warren....but on the bright side, Congrats!! hope you are still enjoying the win!

cheers,
    dan

Member Filly kung fu man will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    warren tuckwell
    Yeah still watching the replay every hour but its still feels like i just walked down the shop handing out hundred dollar notes,hopefully he can do it again soon

Senior Member Horse Of The Year trish will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    patricia ilsley

THANK YOU JOHN.
    What a great move by HRNSW, this is decent & fair.

Isn't this positive Jaimie.

+ Reply to Thread