Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: NSW "Prizemoney!"

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Race For Fun View Post
    Very good, but my table had fancy legs.
    Any other requests?
    Attached Images
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year trish will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    patricia ilsley

Penrith 2nd September 2004's meeting raced for $33600.
    Penrith 4th September 2014"s meeting raced for $33500.
    Did someone from Penrith fart in your car ????

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    Any other requests?
    Gold!!

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Very comprehensive as usual Adam.
    10yrs however is a very long time so we should be seeing some big increases
    I do not know what figure we should be comparing them to but I am not sure it is the inflation figure that the government calculates
    I reckon that Melbourne and Sydney house prices have gone up 27% in 3yrs
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member 3YO Mitch will become famous soon enough Mitch's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mitch Lenaghan
    Give it time people, it's only week one.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year trish will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    patricia ilsley
    NINETY seven is a number Shaun Snudden seems to be stuck on.
    For the second conseuctive season, the Narrandera trainer has finished with 97 wins.
    Of those, 88 came in NSW, placing him eighth in the state and 15th in the country.
    For the second year the Narrandera trainer has claimed the Southwest and Riverina premiership, finishing 83 wins, seven clear of Kim Hillier.
    However, he hasn't set his sights on bringing up the century in the new season just yet.
    "It's a bit early to tell as I'm not sure the handicapping system will allow us to do that," he said.
    "It's going to make it hard and that's why we aren't setting any flash targets as where you could have got three or four wins out of a horse you might only get two out of it."
    Last edited by trish; 09-05-2014 at 05:12 PM. Reason: took photo out

Senior Member 3YO Mitch will become famous soon enough Mitch's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mitch Lenaghan
    Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    NINETY seven is a number Shaun Snudden seems to be stuck on.
    For the second conseuctive season, the Narrandera trainer has finished with 97 wins.
    Of those, 88 came in NSW, placing him eighth in the state and 15th in the country.
    For the second year the Narrandera trainer has claimed the Southwest and Riverina premiership, finishing 83 wins, seven clear of Kim Hillier.
    However, he hasn't set his sights on bringing up the century in the new season just yet.
    "It's a bit early to tell as I'm not sure the handicapping system will allow us to do that," he said.
    "It's going to make it hard and that's why we aren't setting any flash targets as where you could have got three or four wins out of a horse you might only get two out of it."
    With all due respect to Shane I think he needs to better understand the new system. The system has been created to ensure races are more competitive and align horses of similar current form. This will take away the ability for trainers to place horses not yet on their mark in easier races, however it will also allow horses which are out of form and on their mark to race on for a lot longer than they currently would & consistently have a better chance of earning prize money each time they race. It will also reduce the number of odds on favs which should stimulate greater wagering revenue.

I think the benefits of the latter 2 points far outweigh the first point.

I think his horses will have no problem winning the same number of races, if not more. And over time if his owners get a better return on their investment, which they should, they may buy more horses to send to him.

Everyone needs to remember its a new system and it will take a few months to work itself out properly. We also all need to remember that for the sport to prosper changes will consistently need to be made that sometimes will not be favourable to some us from an individual perspective. That's just a fact of life and people need to adapt to the changes as they happen. Harness racing first, me second.

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Agree with a great deal in your post Mitch, the last point most of all.
    Decisions about the game should be for the benefit of the game, not individuals.

This "new" handicapping system is VERY similar to what we had 30 years ago, with the exception of the divided stakes.

The graduation penalty ( "R") handicapping was brought in about 15 years ago with the thought that people with weaker horses could run in these while people who had the stronger types would race for the better prizemoney in the country penalty ( C) fronts....a good thought only trouble is it didn't work.

Owners and trainers of the stronger horses took advantage of the fact they could win an "R' race and then win a "c" race and took a total penalty of one class!!
    So the end result is stronger types in weaker races and lots of odds on starters crippling the punting.

I personally don't like losing some control over placing my horse to it's best advantage and I empathise with everyone coming to terms with a system that removes that control, however our game is going to dissappear very soon if we dont make some changes to make it more appealling to the punters, I believe this is a step in the right direction, time will tell.

cheers,
    Danno

PS, I haven't had a starter for about twelve frustrating months, I nominated 2 mares for 3 races each at Newcastle Wednesday night to try and ensure they get a run( their form is very poor) and guess what!!!! They put them in the same F__ing race!!!!!
    Last edited by Danno; 09-05-2014 at 10:34 PM. Reason: added a bit

Member Yearling Frano1982 will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Adam Francis
    Occupation
    Pastrycook
    Horses
    Sun Samurai Teasing Dolly Dagger Open
    Game on Danny :-)

Member Filly DRUIDRACING will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    STEVEN PILE
    Occupation
    mr fix it
    Horses
    nearly none and you can guess why
    come clean hrnsw you want all horses sent to Menangle or Metro trainers and only race there!!

+ Reply to Thread