Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
Mitch, I would add a third reason for decline and that would be lack of media coverage/promotion. We have failed to break down the bias that the gallopers enjoy. Maybe your first reason encompassed this too but I do not see it as innovation just catching up.
I will forget pay TV for the moment although with the reduction in subscriptions beginning to happen, maybe it can reach enough non converts in the future, but with so many free to air channels now struggling for content how is it that the gallops can put their product on 7Two for more than half the Saturdays of the year and we cannot get ours on any. I think the gallops have realized that with people increasingly betting on TV sport, they needed to be on TV more. Of course they have always had fair News hour coverage and for their carnivlas, this alone we would kill for.
Newspapers are in decline but could still provide valuable coverage/promotion. The Age gives us nothing so maybe we just have to pay for a half page for big carnivals. They cannot refuse our money - they have prostituted themselves for some ridiculous stuff this year. If we were a customer then maybe they will butter us up with a column inch or two sometimes
Hi Kevin,

I agree and it is implied in my 1st point re product innovation. To be brutally honest I don't think our sport has evolved enough to be in the mainstream for free to air media.

It's going to be hard to break back in but there are so many other communication platforms to reach people these days that it's not doom and gloom. People spend more time on their personal devices and social media than they do watching TV so that is where I would start.

Mitch.