Quote Originally Posted by DRUIDRACING View Post
This was spoken about 3 to 4 years ago and Johny Tapp thought it was good idea. Having not watched the program this time it sounds like he has switched camps. This is another way of trying to drive the hobby trainer / Driver out of the sport and creating the Menangle Super Proffessional Area. Most of the changes they make is all moving in that direction, squeezing them out. I for one will leave the sport if they continue reduce the country money and race at Menangle for big $$$ (with 8 or less horses in each race "great for turnover" ), I like to be involved with my horses and I can see how they are trained and cared for not just watching them on Tv and getting a monthly bill. Instead of treading on the little guy give us an equal oportunity to succeed in this wonderful industry...............promote the good stuff and then turnover will increase. rant over!! btw love seeing my colours going around.
Hi Steven,

I would been keen to better understand exactly how/why you think the hobbyists are being driven out of the sport and that the sport is only holding on by a thread?

I sometimes get really frustrated reading posts on this forum as they constantly perpetuate the fact that our industry is dying. IT IS NOT DYING AND NEVER WILL DIE. Sure, we are declining and there are headwinds to be overcome but there is still so much opportunity for harness racing to prosper and maintain a healthy share of the racing landscape in Australia. If you read the thoroughbred racing fact book you will note there are some serious declines as well but to their credit they have better adapted their product to remain appealing and hence wagering revenue is very strong.

Specifically in regards to the hobbyist I think both HRNSW and NSWHRC have done more than most to support country racing in NSW. NSWHRC provide additional funding (of their own accord) to the country series which allows heats to be run for $7k at country tracks and finals at Menangle of $10k. The investment in new country tracks and possibly training centres is terrific. For the sport to prosper there has to be better delineation between hobbyists and professional so that a premium product can be offered to attract new users from a punting perspective. This is critical to maintain share but it will only be done in certain areas.

In regards to the future of the sport I think there are a lot of positives and opportunities. In my opinion the reason harness has declined is due to 2 primary factors. 1. Lack of innovation and evolution of the harness racing product to suit the current/future market and to better compete against increased competition such as sports betting. 2. Lack of integrity.

Now more than ever the above 2 issues are being corrected. NSW has the best integrity of any racing jurisdiction in Australia and over time I feel the other states will catch up. The product development is now being addressed and whilst a lot more still needs to be done, I think harness racing can have a prosperous future with good leadership, governance and most importantly collaboration between the states.

The best thing we can all do for our sport is to encourage and embrace change and not be critical when they make mistakes. Not all change works the first time.

Drivers colours will do absolutely nothing to benefit harness racing.

As I have repeatedly stated it also requires the current participants to understand and accept that the changes required will not always be favourable to us as individuals but if we expect our industry to change and improve we must also do that ourselves.

Sorry for the rant but I think it needed to be said.